Q about speeding conviction

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
Don't insurance companies now also ask if you have taken a speeding awareness course? No doubt because being taught about the danger she of speed makes you a higher risk and they can charge you more!

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Don't insurance companies now also ask if you have taken a speeding awareness course? No doubt because being taught about the danger she of speed makes you a higher risk and they can charge you more!

I asked a couple of my insurers and they weren't bothered about it. Told them anyway but didn't affect the premium.

Cookie Munster

RMS Regular
Drives
Mondeo / Forza
Will only get offered the course if you have not had any motoring convictions in the previous 3 years of getting caught, and then there is no guarantee of even getting offered the course.

What speed did they record her doing as if it was 10% +9 above the limit, the course will not be offered, just the 3 points and fine

The courses are run by AA drivtech in N.I. and they're website has a lot of info on it, including locations where they are run. They even have evening courses and also held on Saturdays and Sundays

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
The course was fine and not patronising at all. You will actually learn a fair bit on it and believe it or not it makes you a better driver when you walk out and step back into your car.
People must be crazy busy these days if they would take a £60 fine and 3 points on their license for a few years rather than spend 4 hours in a speed awareness course and an extra £30

Last edited:

Apis

RMS Regular
OP
Apis
Drives
various
The course was fine and not patronising at all. You will actually learn a fair bit on it and believe it or not it makes you a better driver when you walk out and step back into your car.
People must be crazy busy these days if they would take a £60 fine and 3 points on their license over 4 hours in a speed awareness course.
...and £90 and half a day off self-employed work.

EP3 James

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon Cupra
Personally id be doing the course. People saying you obviously haven't learned if you have taken the course and further down the line get caught speeding again. Can be very easy to creep over the limit and get caught. Rather pay an extra £30 and a few hours than risk potentially six points. Each to their own though..

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
My woman done it one evening a couple of years ago. It didn't last the full 4 hours either. She left the house at half 5 and was home well before 10pm and it was best part of half an hour away.

3 points are very easily obtained, regardless of how much of a saint you profess to be on the road, so if I was her I'd definitely be taking the course and being thankful that she was offered it. My mum didn't get it when she done 49mph in a 40mph zone and although her insurance company claim the 3 points didn't affect her premium when she told them about the points, it increased by almost £100 "due to inflation"...

Phil_EK9

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR/E36
I've had done the course and took 3 points in the space of a few months in my younger, less sensible days.

The course was an extra £30 on top of the fine. That was all the costs involved, no extra insurance, though some may want to know about it..

I checked insurance quotes after getting 3 points every year to check the differences between them and it was normally between 10-20%. You can make your own mind up whether its worth it. Because I was a young driver and my insurance was sky high total costs were close to £1k :scream:

Personally I would take it, even if the costs aren't that high, you still get that a bit of protection from going to 6 points. It's all to easy for the speed to creep up at the wrong time.

mrloaf

RMS Regular
Drives
Swedes
My Mrs got a letter from the hire car company she used last month in England, she was clocked at 60 in a 50 (on the motorway), anybody know if she can be offered the speed awareness course in NI for an English offence?

Hire car c**ts charged £36 admin fee to send the letter on from the police, i think that has annoyed me more than the speeding offence :mad:

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
My Mrs got a letter from the hire car company she used last month in England, she was clocked at 60 in a 50 (on the motorway), anybody know if she can be offered the speed awareness course in NI for an English offence?

Hire car c**ts charged £36 admin fee to send the letter on from the police, i think that has annoyed me more than the speeding offence :mad:
I think they can only offer it in the constabulary where the offence was committed. Motorway gantry camera by any chance?

mrloaf

RMS Regular
Drives
Swedes
I think they can only offer it in the constabulary where the offence was committed. Motorway gantry camera by any chance?

Yeah, no police stopped her or were waiting with radar guns so assuming so.. just get the points and get on with it then i suppose

garyo

RMS Regular
@mrloaf I was on the course recently and a guy there was clocked when on hols in Wales a couple of months earlier. Think it was a bit of a handling for him but I'm guessing he probably made all his own bother and basically AADrivetech take care of everything afterwards. He was a serious talker so I zoned out pretty quick, the type that after an hour or so the whole room would just sigh every time he opened his mouth to tell another story until he was eventually told to save it until the course was finished.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford

Yes you can.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
When did points start transferring over to our licence if caught on the mainland?

Apis

RMS Regular
OP
Apis
Drives
various
Do you just turn up and sit there, or is it a pass/fail kind of thing?

Apis

RMS Regular
OP
Apis
Drives
various
I trained as an accountant. Compared to a financial reporting training module, the speed awareness course was akin to spending a weekend in Vegas.
Sounds like it doesn't take much to entertain an accountant, lol.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.