Querying an MOT decision

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
My car failed it's MOT at the weekend - 'headlight level sensor disconnected from front arm'. This wasn't something I was aware of or had even checked beforehand. I didn't see it at the time, the tester took my car off the lift, parked it outside and then called me over to give me the fail sheet.

I've just jacked it up and had a look underneath before I spend £90 on a new sensor (the bracket and sensor all come as one piece) and I can't see anything disconnected. It's screwed onto the arm and there's nothing loose. I had no issues with the headlamp level when it was tested. There's a little bit of play in a rod on the sensor but as it's got a spherical end I assumed this was normal.

Has anyone ever gone back and had them re-check something like this without having to book a formal re-test? I guess I'm looking for clarification on what he thought was wrong.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Picture.

And presumably there are no warning lights on to indicate a problem ?

The wording you mention does sound like a mechanical linkage, as opposed to an electrical connection not being made ?

Gaz

OP
Gaz
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Picture.

And presumably there are no warning lights on to indicate a problem ?

The wording you mention does sound like a mechanical linkage, as opposed to an electrical connection not being made ?

No electrical issues, no warning lights, and the headlight levels are perfect. The sensor itself is fine and the wording does seem to indicate that it was mechanically disconnected from the suspension arm.

This is where it connects. It's attached firmly with little to no movement.

image1_zpsbu22px7n.jpg

johnm

RMS Regular
If you cant see anything, drive it down this evening and ask them?
Just park at the parking to the right soon as you go through the gates and go up and ask one of the guys they'll normally be accommodating enough to take a second ganders.

I've done it twice now to get seen earlier than the scheduled time and they've been happy enough.

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
I dont know what car you are driving, but check the rear arm incase they have made a typo error on sheet. Pathfinder of min is always poping the plastic ball joint even when replaced

Reactions: Gaz

Gaz

OP
Gaz
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
That's what I was wondering John, didn't want to drive over to be told to feck away off. If you think they'll a second gander it's worth a drive.

Gaz

OP
Gaz
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
I dont know what car you are driving, but check the rear arm incase they have made a typo error on sheet. Pathfinder of min is always poping the plastic ball joint even when replaced

Good call, must check the back one too.

johnm

RMS Regular
Do they not normally put a 'rear' at the start though if its something for the rear? Definitely worth a look though.
If they are quiet enough I'd chance it, just say you've looked it over & a mechanic has too and cant see anything.
Just say your looking for clarification on whats actually wrong as opposed to a pass cert, they'll probably either highlight what it actually is or might just pass it there and then for you.

Gaz

OP
Gaz
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Do they not normally put a 'rear' at the start though if its something for the rear? Definitely worth a look though.
If they are quiet enough I'd chance it, just say you've looked it over & a mechanic has too and cant see anything.
Just say your looking for clarification on whats actually wrong as opposed to a pass cert, they'll probably either highlight what it actually is or might just pass it there and then for you.

It does specifically say Front. I rung there and managed to get chatting to a guy who queried it with the original tester, he was adamant it was hanging off but said call down again anyway. It's definitely not hanging off, so I'm a bit confused. I wasn't trying to avoid the re-sit fee or appeal it, just wanted clarification and I'll still re-test at cost to prove I didn't fix it myself in the meantime.

Perhaps the Car Fairies fixed it for me.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
It would be clear to see if the part has been tampered with...or in this case not. Working on stuff always leaves marks. If it's all the same dirt, no obvious marks...clearly it's exactly the same as when the blind tester looked at it.

Unless the fairys fixed it for you.

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Yes defo one front and rear for load sensing. I had a car fail once years ago Gaz on headlight level which as annoying as I literally checked before I left. Anyway, back to the garage checked still fine drove straight back down again got a retest, after paying for it of course, passed no problem. :mad:

Marched back into the office and queried what had just happened only to be told nothing could be done, sorry.

I later was told by an MOT tester they have a target of so many cars to fail per day and in all likelihood thats what happened in my case. When all the MOT centres all shut down and it goes the way it is in England they won't be so happy !

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
If they genuinely stroked you, contact the media, fatboy Nolan etc. If they're operating a scam of failing people just to get numbers up then they need found out.

Although given some of the ****balls about I really doubt it would be too difficult for them to find genuine failures.

Alexmck

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf
Possible that it disconnected when wheels off ground and load off suspension? And when set back down it clicked back into place?

Gaz

OP
Gaz
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Possible that it disconnected when wheels off ground and load off suspension? And when set back down it clicked back into place?

Maybe, but unlikely. For the spherical ball end to slot straight back onto the screw (it moves and not rigidly fixed in place, so it doesn't line up with the screw perfectly if it works loose) would be very unusual.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Ok, not read past where I've been tagged.

Your car obviously has Xenon lights, this is the self leveller linked to the suspension. There is usually one on the front and the rear. They tend to break off at the suspension side. If you can see no fault with it, go back and speak with the centre manager, however the fact the car has left the centre there will probably be little they can do other than retest it there and then if you pay the fee.

On the alignment point. Uneducated "mechanics" that wheel in a headlight alignment tool and claim to be experts, will often test Xenon lights, find them too low and not look for a reason, ie - broken linkage, and set them accordingly, so when the linkage is fixed (usually when they break they go to max height meaning the lights go to minimum level, same as setting the adjuster to 4) the lights will be too high.

Out of interest, which centre was it?

Gaz

OP
Gaz
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Ok, not read past where I've been tagged.

Your car obviously has Xenon lights, this is the self leveller linked to the suspension. There is usually one on the front and the rear. They tend to break off at the suspension side. If you can see no fault with it, go back and speak with the centre manager, however the fact the car has left the centre there will probably be little they can do other than retest it there and then if you pay the fee.

On the alignment point. Uneducated "mechanics" that wheel in a headlight alignment tool and claim to be experts, will often test Xenon lights, find them too low and not look for a reason, ie - broken linkage, and set them accordingly, so when the linkage is fixed (usually when they break they go to max height meaning the lights go to minimum level, same as setting the adjuster to 4) the lights will be too high.

Out of interest, which centre was it?

Was the Lisburn centre. Going to take it back today to have the tester point out the fault. As said, I'm not trying to circumvent a re-test fee or anything - I'm happy to re-test but just couldn't understand what he thought was broken as it all looks 100%. Have checked the rear this morning also and it's fine, nothing loose or unattached from suspension.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
They won't have an issue showing you, I know the manager in the centre, he was my deputy manager when I started out and is a fair guy.

Reactions: Gaz

Gaz

OP
Gaz
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
So, just re-tested and the car passed. Asides from a good nosey underneath, I didn't touch a thing and even pointed out to the examiner that the dirt on the bolts etc is old and they obviously haven't been interfered with recently. Will be making a complaint tomorrow, the re-test cost doesn't really matter - it's the annoyance of jumping through hoops again for no good reason.

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
sounds exactly like what happened to me Gaz :worried: bit of a joke really isn't it.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.