"R" plates?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

r6kyl

RMS Regular
Drives
Tweed hat and sl
What is the deal with motorcycle r plates?.. Do they have to be displayed at the front aswell as the rear? I know most dont bother but i want to keep as legal as possible for a while and hate the stupid one i have stuck on my front mudguard (even tho it keeps it clean)

sparkplug86

RMS Regular
Drives
2002 Toyota tspo
Didnt even know you were in to bikes! I think the law is one on the front and one on the back but like you say most dont bother. I didnt, i just made sure my bike was restricted and evrything was fine. What bike do you have?

r6kyl

RMS Regular
OP
r6kyl
Drives
Tweed hat and sl
Have a cb400 superfour mark. I know i am painting a target but it cost me over £400 to do my test by the time you do your CBT. Dont wanna risk having points to end up doing it again :worried:

arewethereyet

RMS Regular
ya just have to do it right, if you get the clip on one for the fork like the instructors use, it might swing in flat occasionally :laughing:
and the back one is handy as a mud guard if you stick it on a bit of sheet alu with spray glue. bolted behind the number plate.

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
The laws the law. Get them displayed and enjoy yer 45mph for a year. :p
Being hypocritical here as I never displayed them or had the bike restricted and all my mates were the same, horsing our Bandits and Hornets up the road as hard as we could go the day after passing the test......
In hindsight I still probably wouldn't display them as its drawing attention to yourself (how many bikes do you actually see with Rs?)

sparkplug86

RMS Regular
Drives
2002 Toyota tspo
Painting a target on yourself is a fair point but as long as you have them displyed properly,its restricted and insured and mot'd then you have nothing to worry about. Once the weather is better we def have to get out on them. Mine is going through its first mot soon so fingers crossed.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
I ran with 'R' plates for a year and never had an issue ever because of them. The one time I did get stopped (they were stopping all bike in Greyabbey) the cop commented that it was nice to see them up as it was a silly thing to get points for.

My bike a few years back:

66c92eed.jpg

r6kyl

RMS Regular
OP
r6kyl
Drives
Tweed hat and sl
they can stay up then lol, if anything it will cut own stonechips on my front mudguard :party:

avo5021

RMS Regular
Yes, front and back...

On another note i believe the Direct Access is coming in here in February at last bringing us in line with the rest of the UK...

Kerzo

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon FR
Yes, front and back...

On another note i believe the Direct Access is coming in here in February at last bringing us in line with the rest of the UK...

January

....still have R plates though!

r6kyl

RMS Regular
OP
r6kyl
Drives
Tweed hat and sl
Yes, front and back...

My instructor mentioned something about this and how i might be able to do a test on a 600 to get rid of all restrictions. Or will i be able to ditch the plates since no one else will have to use them :confounded:

lighter7

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E36/Disco3
Should have done Direct Access like me Kyle, No R plates, no restricted bike nothing (y) mind you atleast you have a bike lol.

forde

RMS Regular
Drives
Vectra SRi
what happened with that whole argument before about how you only serve one period of restriction so if you have already done a year on Rs in a car you dont have to on a bike although the 33bhp restriction still stands as it is seperate.

i wouldnt (and didnt) display R plates. never saw one on a bike until a year or two ago and now i see a lot. either the cops are clamping down or a lot of new bikers are pussies.

arewethereyet

RMS Regular
your such a rebel Ford, bad to the bone, so hardcore.

1 period of restriction per class of vechicle,, were you just flashin through it and not actually reading.

if you pass in a car you must show plates for 1 year
if you pass on a bike a bike you must display plates for 1 year

lighter7

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E36/Disco3
your such a rebel Ford, bad to the bone, so hardcore.

1 period of restriction per class of vechicle,, were you just flashin through it and not actually reading.

if you pass in a car you must show plates for 1 year
if you pass on a bike a bike you must display plates for 1 year

How does the points work then? Surely if it knocks you back to only allowed 6 points then no one would risk doing their bike test.

r6kyl

RMS Regular
OP
r6kyl
Drives
Tweed hat and sl
couldn't tell ya, i done my bike and car nearly 30 years ago.
we had to display them then too.
Were they in black and white back then? :p
only messing, cheers for the help people, and as for lighter. Direct access isnt here yet and i couldnt justify going to engerland and getting accomodation etc to get through a test :sob:

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
How does the points work then? Surely if it knocks you back to only allowed 6 points then no one would risk doing their bike test.
I asked this before on here as i wondered the same thing, i cant remember the exact reasons now, but the forum filth i think it was mentioned the 6 points thing doesnt count. It was something to do with i already served my introduction to the roads stage in the car before so didnt have to again. The Restriction period still counts as its a new machine to you. I'll have a nosey later for the exact answer, but thats the basics of it :grinning:

arewethereyet

RMS Regular
no ,, (have my hgv too)

the license class if you done your test in a vechicle with car-like controls,,EG: it has a steering wheel, and pedals on the floor,,, you would display "R" plates for that "type" of vechicle.
so if you pass in a car, you drive in a car for a year displaying "R" plates, then if you do a LGV test,(over7'5 ton aka old class 2) you don't need to display "R" plates as they are a similar type.(nor for a articulated)

if you ride a bike and pass your test on a motorbike EG: handlebars and foot controls, , , is a LOOSELY called "different class"

some creton might jump in with scooters and tractors etc,, but it's the easiest way of explaining display of "r" plates for 1 year from date of passing for cars and 1 year from date of passing for bikes

if in everyday life we all started driving skid-steer control machines on the road, we would have to display "r" plates for them,,
currently if you do a test for a road going tank in the T.A. you do display "R" plates, as i seen one out through hollywood about 2 years ago.

slag

RMS Regular
I had R plates on my GPZ..

gpz_rear.jpg

For about 3 weeks, then I caught myself on and bought a XT600 with a loud pipe instead and ditched the plates. (y)

I tell you what, I got more hassle in those 3 weeks than the past 9 years! :p

avo5021

RMS Regular
The 6 point issue only counts on your first licence ie car or bike whichever you pass first

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.