Red Diesel - Filtration?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Crimson

RMS Regular
Drives
Daytona Grey S3
I'd say Kerosene would damage a diesel engine in the long term. Not quite the same viscosity properties as normal diesel so I'd say the injectors would have a hard time.

True Bryan, I know a lad that found this out the hard way

have you ever used "red"" in the Octavia?

ewok

RMS Regular
I know one of my mates d-turbo loves the red but when the white is put in it runs like a pig so i would say red is better

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
If the vehicle you are putting red in is taxed etc, then you could get into bother even if it isnt on the road.....well, that is if they ever did dip it, which is rather unlikely.

Anyone who says red is dirty or unsafe is talking through their bums. Red diesel will rarely be tampered with, so you're almost gauranteed quality fuel every time.
If the seller stores it in dirty tanks, then it may become dirty. But that has nothing to do with the fuel itself.

Far more expensive machinery runs on red than will ever be run on white diesel. ie plant machinery, generators trains, boats etc etc

Mark_C

RMS Regular
I know one of my mates d-turbo loves the red but when the white is put in it runs like a pig so i would say red is better

Probably because a lot of 'white' diesel in some areas is just laundered red or green.

Alan_M

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia SRI VX-
If i had a diesel car i would run it on red. Less tampering with it. Anyone i've spoke to that is running on it says they get better MPG and the car is quicker off the mark on it. Pitty they dont make red petrol lol

mic

RMS Regular
Drives
Stelvio & VW
All diesel when imported is white and then the relevant HMRC add the dye Red for the uk and green for southern ireland.

Several years ago the government had a big push for low sulphur emissions and thesefore the white in the uk was all low sulphur (city diesel) and the fuel down south including the red and green rebated fuels were not low sulphur--I have heard guys saying that their cars went better on southern fuel.^o)

As previously said both fuels are clean and it is the storage that is the problem (when you think about it you dont carry white diesel around in dirty plastic drums with dust and dirt around the filler;)

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Aye that's possible plus the retailer holding it in an auld tank. By the sound of it the fuel itself is fine, but best to ensure storage is nice and clean.

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
I'd say Kerosene would damage a diesel engine in the long term. Not quite the same viscosity properties as normal diesel so I'd say the injectors would have a hard time.

The oul nissan patrol on the farm has been run on kerosine mixed with a light engine oil (for pump lubrication) for years and is still going strong (y)

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Same with the thousands I spent on running boats and skis over the years

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Probably... sure they just put the price of red diesel up to normal clear diesel rates in 2008, so anyone that spent the extra getting a diesel boat ended up f**ked over and has to buy red diesel at £1.109 a litre or whatever it is.

So much for cheaper fuel duty for the boating people for helping out in the war effort. Bringing red down from a road pump is illegal too and also massive work if the boat is down a jetty looking a couple of hundred litres lifted up and into a tank.

Flipping jokers.

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
As said above, kerosene with an adequate lube thrown into it to prevent the pump from seizing.

Hydraulic oil, engine oil, etc etc,

would make for brave cheap day of entertainment

as for filtration, there will be a small gauze at the fuel pick up, and then your normal/inline fuel filter do as you would normally and change it at the service intervals (obviously much closer to eachother due to the nature of use) and you will be fine dude.

Kerosene FTW, ive seen a brave few filling there TDi's up at the Home Heating Oil pumps in ballynahinch :p

Scuba Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
S3/V4S/X5/R
Red derv can strip the fuel pump, i donno how are why, Mates dad told me and he is a very good desial mechic

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
^^^ bollocks

its friggin diesel, not kerosene, therefore it contains the lubricants for the pump in the same way standard diesel does - kerosene, etc act as degreasants and strip pumps

coogsyrsv

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 5er..YAM R1!
red is the best stuff for them!! pity about the fines for using it though!! how much is red/grreen now, in comparison to white?

Chris_702

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
We sell it. Its white diesel with a red dye. Red is just as clean as white but it will depend on how clean the holding tank is ( either the tanker its delivered in or the tank its stored in).

mad mike 212

RMS Regular
Drives
Strawberry Milks
Red derv (gas oil) is just normal derv dyed because its vat free nothing to do with diff fuels mixed in or anything of the sort, wont make a diff to fuel pumps just more noticable in the fuel lines and filter but theres no reason for it to do any more damage than white. and you can use it off road as much as you like.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.