Red Diesel - Filtration?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
That's illegal scrob, the rules changed a couple of years back. The exemption that was applied to boat diesel changed and now you have to pay full price. God knows how they'd check though. I haven't heard of anyone being stopped. I guess if the warden spotted you filling with red from a can they might have a quiet word.

Loads of info on the net about it. http://www.theyachtmarket.com/guides/cost-implications-of-red-diesel.aspx

Wouldn't work for us anyway. Boat sits down a long thin gated floating jetty plus my dad has a terrible bad back so he just fills from the marina pumps to save the agro, plus it's illegal without making the appropriate declarations :worried:

Christopher

RMS Regular
Drives
Skyline GTR
dont see how it would mate, some wreckon it smokes a bit, but i never noticed it on mates cars, audis/330d etc, it might soot up the dpf a little quicker, but sure a good blast down a motorway with shoe to the floor would soon clear that out, or remove the dpf and blow it out with airline!!

how long is your i-drive giving you on dpf replacement?

110k miles to replacement. or just remove it and get a bypass pipe and new map :p

RMS_CLK

RMS Regular
Personally, I'm convinced that red diesel is just as clean as normal clear diesel (it goes into farm machinery worth as much as my house with no issues and AFAIK its just clear diesel with a dye), however the guy we're buying the LandCruiser from insists that red can be dirty and needs extra filtration to be safe.

The vehicle already has a small inline filter however I was thinking of adding another just to be sure.

Firstly - is it necessary? Secondly - whats the best type to use? Another small inline type or the bigger canisters with the water trap or some kind of filter on the drum before it goes into the tank?
Actually mate thats totally wrong. Red diesel has a totally different compsition to white diesel.
When I worked in agnews we had to send a sample of each to a lab because a customer who's injectors had shat themselves was trying to take us to court for turning down his warranty claim when we found red in his tank.
When the results came back the list of chemicals in the white was nearly a full a4 page, while the red wasnt even half way down.
White is full of chemicals for anti-waxing and also to refine it and give it better lubrication.
I thought the same thing you did before I seen this first hand, and to be honest red is still ok if you have a semi-agricultural diesel engine with a rotary pump. But keep it well away from any modern stuff.

coogsyrsv

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 5er..YAM R1!
110k miles to replacement. or just remove it and get a bypass pipe and new map :p

ahh rite lol, 110k to replacement, my 525d is showing 22k to replacement, i would say yours was just cleaned aswell, or maybe just reset the i-drive!!

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Actually mate thats totally wrong. Red diesel has a totally different compsition to white diesel.
When I worked in agnews we had to send a sample of each to a lab because a customer who's injectors had shat themselves was trying to take us to court for turning down his warranty claim when we found red in his tank.
When the results came back the list of chemicals in the white was nearly a full a4 page, while the red wasnt even half way down.
White is full of chemicals for anti-waxing and also to refine it and give it better lubrication.
I thought the same thing you did before I seen this first hand, and to be honest red is still ok if you have a semi-agricultural diesel engine with a rotary pump. But keep it well away from any modern stuff.

Trains, boats, all sorts of mega expensive machinery runs on red. Its perfectly good diesel, and better than most white.

Doovde

Banned
Drives
Nothing ford/VAG
opened the container we have for the red in the yoda and there is **** floating it in. Doesn't need filtered, more strained.

Fuel itself looks 100%, container looks to have done the contaminating.

Astroid

RMS Regular
Drives
Rb5 and c4
Right thought I'd mix it up a bit. The red derv we use in our boat which we get at discount 46p per litre is different to agri vehicles the oil in it is different and it stinks. Something to with the fuel being so cold pumped into the engines under water some of the big boats that fish around holland see -28. Agri fuel is more aless white with extra oil (dye) for tractors/machines it will run on oldercars but the new high pressurised diesel pumps don't like it they have to run twice as much to keep normal delivery with the extra oil. And you won't get the same miles to a tank compared to white.

Also never use boat fuel in a car you'll wreck injectors/pistons. Seen it soooooo many times

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
That is just a case of the fuel being more specific to its usage.

Same way diesel sold in Saudi will not be the same as diesel sold in Ice Road Truckers land.

It will contain additives best suited to the fuel's environment. Saudi would hardly need any anti-waxing agents to protect it from the cold for example. Where as, the other place would need a miracle lol

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Programme on discovery was talking about a huge boat engine that was running on crude oil - different fuel for different applications.

Anyway, the smaller boat engines have also been used in cars. For example my dad's boat has two Volvo D5 engines in it and the old Jeep Cherokee 2.5 D used a marine engine (which was shoite BTW).

Doovde

Banned
Drives
Nothing ford/VAG
Programme on discovery was talking about a huge boat engine that was running on crude oil - different fuel for different applications.

Anyway, the smaller boat engines have also been used in cars. For example my dad's boat has two Volvo D5 engines in it and the old Jeep Cherokee 2.5 D used a marine engine (which was shoite BTW).

And visa versa, fella at the Honda Marine place outside Enniskillen was telling me that the current version Honda 90hp outboard engine (at the time) was just a 1.4 SOHC Civic engine put on its side

Conor

RMS Regular
I've 'heard' from a 'mate' that green is where its at.:p

My 'mates car' does a good 10mpg more on green on average than Asda clear or ****e like that.

Marc

RMS Moderator
I've 'heard' from a 'mate' that green is where its at.:p

My 'mates car' does a good 10mpg more on green on average than Asda clear or ****e like that.

what happens if he gets caught tho?

is it a big fine and car gone ?

Conor

RMS Regular
£500 first offence and car impounded i believe.

But 'he' has been doing it for about 18 months and has saved around £2k (600 miles a week, green is about 50p/litre), and has put away the fine amount just in case. He has only passed one dipping station in that time, but they are much keener to pull joe farmer in the shogun or the white van men.(y)

Marc

RMS Moderator

But 'he' has been doing it for about 18 months and has saved around £2k (600 miles a week, green is about 50p/litre), and has put away the fine amount just in case. He has only passed one dipping station in that time, but they are much keener to pull joe farmer in the shogun or the white van men.(y)

fair enough.. if its paid for itself already he is laughing

Chris_702

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
The red derv we use in our boat which we get at discount 46p per litre

I would love to know how your supplier is making money on selling it at 46ppl. We couldnt even do it for that and thats with our discount of Hayes Fuels.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI

Bet you *ahem* I mean 'he' crapped his pants when he seen them.

I've only ever seen dipping once in the 12 years I've been on the road and they only seemed to be pulling dirty auld transits and 4x4's

Astroid

RMS Regular
Drives
Rb5 and c4
I would love to know how your supplier is making money on selling it at 46ppl. We couldnt even do it for that and thats with our discount of Hayes Fuels.

We get it from portavogie through the fishing every fishing boats gets a discount rate. Scotland boats get a grant making it 30 odd pence a litre.

mckeown

RMS Regular
Drives
mitsi outlander
can some cars burn through it faster than the white diesel? I ask because i tried it with the field car this week and i am returning the same mpg as always?

Gaza_r

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus TDCI
It's just a dye Coog, it's only 'Ruby' from South Armagh you've to worry about...

Years ago I ran an old Pug 309 on Ruby, clocked up over 70k miles with no problems, got dipped by the Garda one morning on the way to work though.

I'd 3 jerry cans of the stuff in the boot (just filled up the night before) so I was expecting him to arrest me, but the aul Guard just gave a bollocking and made me pour all 3 jerry cans into a storm drain then sent me on my way! :confounded:

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
Would storing red in an old central heating oil tank damage the engine? Or would whatever little drop of heating oil left be diluted way down??

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Can't see it doing any harm, guessing there's probably not much oil left in the tank?
Also guessing that your putting a good bit of diesel in if your storing it in that size of tank?

If so it should be fine, and if your worried through a bit of oil or 2 stroke oil in to be safe.

Tho if putting any oil in do it before putting diesel in so it gets mixed nicely

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.