Renault Dci Engine Problem

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Ge0rge

Banned
hi folks have an 02 renault clio 1.5dci that has me puzzled, car wont start with the key it will just turn over however it will bump start and run and drive perfect with the least wee push, anyone any ideas?

was thinking possibly the diesel injectors but surely it woulnt run perfect with a faulty injector, also the fuel primer wont go solid when i pump it with my hand so does this mean there could be air escaping somewhere so there s not enough pressure in the fuel to start it?

any healp very much appreciated guys thanks

Lucy Fir

RMS Regular
IIRC the fuel lines are clear on those wee Clios. Can you see any bubbles in the diesel? The lines have a nasty habit of cracking near the ends, I've also seen them drawing air in at the fuel filter housing. It's a pretty common fault.

Don't worry about the crappy plastic primer not going hard, it doesn't on a Renault. If you're worried about the primer, get a rubber one off a Peugeot and stick it in. It's a far better job and at least you will be able to feel the diesel going through.

Tuccy

RMS Member
Almost certainly Crankshaft position sensor buddy, very common on these and also explains why it will run ok when bump started :grinning:

Sometimes before the CPS die altogether the car will be difficult to start, Dont suppose you experienced this before it completely give up?

Lucy Fir

RMS Regular
If the CPS failed the car wouldn't start at all, never mind on a tow. I've never seen a 1.5 DCi with a CPS problem, it's generally the 1.2 16Vs that have that problem.

Tuccy

RMS Member
If the CPS failed the car wouldn't start at all, never mind on a tow. I've never seen a 1.5 DCi with a CPS problem, it's generally the 1.2 16Vs that have that problem.
Sorry i must have been dreaming about the 1.5dci i repaired a few weeks ago with this exact problem, If you havnt experienced this then it obviously has, nor will never happened..

some of the 1.2 16v`s your talking about will not start on the key with a bad cps but can with a bump, cps are never usually a work or die part, they very often become intermittent.

Ge0rge

Banned
OP
Ge0rge
Almost certainly Crankshaft position sensor buddy, very common on these and also explains why it will run ok when bump started :grinning:

Sometimes before the CPS die altogether the car will be difficult to start, Dont suppose you experienced this before it completely give up?

i bought the car like that mate though its funny you should mention it i had a clio last month that had the same problem but it only occured sometimes, would start fine every morning but every now and then it would fail to start throughout the day normally at the worst possible time, i will try that mate ive tried cleaning the egr valve etc hoping it was just that but no good cheers :grinning:

also if it were an injector surely it wouldnt run fine after the bump?

Lucy Fir

RMS Regular
Sorry dude, I've just never seen that happening on a DCi before. I don't doubt you, maybe it does happen but I've just never seen it before.

And any 1.2 16Vs with a faulty CPS I've worked at would not start, either on the key or on tow. How does the ECU know when to send a signal to the plugs or injectors if the CPS isn't telling it to do so?

whyme?

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk IV Golf
If you think the TDC sensor is causing the fault, take it out and give it a clean as its a magnet and can gather crap from the clutch and flywheel. Although I could count on one finger the amount of dci TDC sensors I've ever replaced

Cro

RMS Regular
Its not the tdc sensor or it wouldnt start at all! It tells the injectors how fast the flywheel is spinning.

Its battery or starter! If the clocks flicker when you try to start and the trip comp resets everytime its battery

Lucy Fir

RMS Regular
Generally, crap doesnt come off the flywheel. If anything, crap will come off the clutch. The clutch is made from asbestos and asbestos isn't magnetic. Well maybe it is, but it wasn't when I did A-Level Physics.

Ge0rge

Banned
OP
Ge0rge
Its not the tdc sensor or it wouldnt start at all! It tells the injectors how fast the flywheel is spinning.

Its battery or starter! If the clocks flicker when you try to start and the trip comp resets everytime its battery

damn i got excited there and thought i would get away with a sensor, the starter tutns it over fine without any problems the battery is also 100% though il report back as to the results of the sensor (y)

Jonny1992

RMS Regular
Drives
too much
hi folks have an 02 renault clio 1.5dci

highlighted the problem there for you mate lol

but on a serious note my laguna did the same the problem there was somthing to do with the starter not running in quick enough so it wasnt catching the spark (it was petrol )

Cro

RMS Regular
Oh sorry did I misread, it turns over and over and over and over? but doesnt start? Well that sounds like tdc but it still shouldnt start with a bump, could just be coincidence and maybe is just a bit dodgy/dirty

Ge0rge

Banned
OP
Ge0rge
starts mate within the length of herself when pushed and runs and drives perfect

Tuccy

RMS Member
there is alot of reasons to cause this on the dci, all im saying is the first thing id check is the cps as it caught me out last time, To low/high fuel preasure will also cause this, the dci does not have a seperate lift pump, only the high preasure pump, dirty injector/filter/pump/lines will all cause this as the starter is`nt creating enough speed for the pump to get decent preasure to drag fuel past the dirt debris, once started the pump runs faster causing greater preasure enabeling fuel to be forced down around/past dirt debris.
Also fuel line air issues, and on and on....

you have pm eknightrider

Mark_C

RMS Regular
If a crankshaft position sensor wasnt working it wouldnt matter if you bump started or not, No signal is no signal.

A TDC sensor does NOT tell the engine how 'fast' the flywheel is spinning. It tells the ECU when cylinder no 1 is at TDC (Generally a single toothed wheel on the camshaft) in order to sync the timing. Generally used only at startup.

sickomotorsport

RMS Regular
Drives
Peugeot 205, own
is this problem after car has been sitting a while? what tuccy said she could be losing fuel pressure through the wee hand primer or one of the fuel feed pipes, had a similar fault on a 1.4hdi before

garyhoker

RMS Regular
Drives
honda
lol maybe you have a flat tyre going by all the other comments get someone who knows what to check.or you will be going round in circles.any engine managment lights on. could be dodgey key .cps. fuel drain off . or i had to rebuild thoses crap engines piston rings all glared up would not get enough compression on key turn over but would go on tow .............. SWAN VESTA

Bryan

RMS Regular
I have a TDC sensor somewhere for this engine if you need it.

They're £75 odd from Renault and I bought one with a similar problem only to find out that it wasn't the issue.

garyhoker

RMS Regular
Drives
honda
what a waste of your time answering that QUESTION ............... AND YOU NEVER SAID WHAT UR PROBLEM WAS SO HELPFUL so u faffed about guessed wasted money and time ......lol

whyme?

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk IV Golf
Generally, crap doesnt come off the flywheel. If anything, crap will come off the clutch. The clutch is made from asbestos and asbestos isn't magnetic. Well maybe it is, but it wasn't when I did A-Level Physics.

Well for a start a clutch isn't asbestos since it has been banned. I also did a level physics and I never learned about the magnetic properties of asbestos anyway. The fella is asking advise and I pointed him in the direction of a possible cure that if it doesn't work has cost him nothing but 10 minutes of his time

garyhoker

RMS Regular
Drives
honda
he said he had a simalar problem but never gave a answer did he find the cause as for cluch think he was refering to the fileings from the dual mass flywheel getting onto sensor as THEY ARE METAL ;;;;;;; did you pass ur physics exam . i pased as a mechanical engineer but then i dont work in macdonalds

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.