RMS Epic Workshop/ Garage Thread: Show me your bench/garage

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
Looks a great job @FM155 ! Who'd you use for the tarmacing if you don't mind me asking? Need to in front of my garage done sooner rather than later!

Last edited:

A6Avant

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Avant
Another step closer to completion.

Got lights installed in the back bench. When the back wall is populated with tools and a compact computer plugged in, I think i can call it complete. When i get more done I'll update my garage thread

C8BE197E-D336-4D29-A54B-4B7B8F4A1BE3_zps8i2qrim7.jpg

And the mitre saw station

D5CBC8CE-394B-4133-829E-DF3A44AC83EE_zpsvab0qjqe.jpg

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Looks a great job @FM155 ! Who'd you use for the tarmacing if you don't mind me asking? Need to in front of my garage done sooner rather than later!
To be honest I wouldnt necessarily recommend him as I first contacted him at the start of May and its only just done now. To be fair to him he did a good job in the end but he wasnt confident doing the concrete so he got a guy in to do that who does a lot of work for farmers with lanes and yards so they took priority over my job. If its just tarmac i think it would be much quicker. I'll pm you.

@Ben 6 yes completely chuffed. Bit different to a couple of years back when you stepped over the open foundation trench full of water, eh?
Your new house and garage is looking great, very good for your first place. ;-)

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
@Ben 6 yes completely chuffed. Bit different to a couple of years back when you stepped over the open foundation trench full of water, eh?
Your new house and garage is looking great, very good for your first place. ;-)

I was wondering if you remembered that! My brother nearly fell in! Some change indeed, very envious!

Thanks for the kind words, can't wait to get moved in :grinning:

johna3

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk2Golf/defendr
Congrats on the new place @Ben 6, garage looks excellent!

Those walls might take a few coats but better putting numerous watered down coats on rather than 2/3 thick coats. Extension bar on the rollers might be a little quicker to.

Hoping to get started on my garage in a month or so once I've the house set up, can't wait :grinning:

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
@Ben 6 if you're still working at it... Get yourself a wee cheap pump sprayer for the likes of week killer or fence painting and spray the block, you get more
Paint applied and it gets into the nooks of the block easier. Just continue with coats u til you start to notice there's paint on there then I would roller a good masonry white paint like johnstones

I started doing my block work in my old garage with rollers it near broke my heart

£8 on a pump sprayer was far better job

Will be starting into my new garage before long def be finishing with a decent masonry paint

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
Yeah same sort of idea... Mine was labelled as a fence sprayer but with the paint watered down it'll do the same job

Was only a cheapy but lasted well did our actual fence and shed at the house too lol just washed out with some warm water after use

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
90's Junk
Think I've figured out that Ben10 has me blocked. I told you to spray it on before you even started! Doing it with a roller will take you forever, I had to paint an entire barn white and we done the first coat by roller which took an entire day and looked like yours afterwards. It easily would have needed another 2-3 coats. We were gutted. Then we went and got two old spray guns (dad's a sprayer) and had the lot finished in a few hours.

If you're painting a garage with that Paul make sure and mask everything off well. It gets everywhere.

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
Think I've figured out that Ben10 has me blocked. I told you to spray it on before you even started! Doing it with a roller will take you forever, I had to paint an entire barn white and we done the first coat by roller which took an entire day and looked like yours afterwards. It easily would have needed another 2-3 coats. We were gutted. Then we went and got two old spray guns (dad's a sprayer) and had the lot finished in a few hours.

If you're painting a garage with that Paul make sure and mask everything off well. It gets everywhere.
I don't have anyone blocked! Lol. I knew it would take at least 2 coats, wasn't expecting anything more than what it looks like after one coat. There was 3 of us so only took a few hours.

Its looks great after the 2nd coat, I've bought a sprayer and will go over the blocks that need a bit more at the weekend. Should hopefully have it covered and looking well.

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
90's Junk
Lol, oops.

The breezeblocks I was painting were as old as the hills, I'm not sure if that matters or not but it was like painting a sponge. Those wee sprayers are handy to have around the garage anyway, they're great for fences, painting radiators etc.

Reactions: Ben

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
Pump is quick and easy imo

A proper paint electric sprayer would be expensive I imagine to cope with the thickness of paint...

Watered down emulsion is fine in the hand pump jobbies for all they cost

THen roller the last coat with good masonry paint it'll take to it a lot better

I tried one wall with pva and lost the will to live... The other three walls were grand without it

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
Apparantly PVAing the walls isn't a good idea as the paint won't soak into the wall as much and can be prone to flaking off. A watered down coat of paint is much better I've read.

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
Well finally got the shed up so can clear the garage of the clutter, it's only 6x5 feet but unreal the amount of stuff it can swallow up...

The alloys aren't there anymore... Beer fridge is taking their place once power and light are installed in a week or two

And the garage

Had cavity but didn't realise builder wasn't insulating it so gonna have to get beads injected or summat.

Picked up a whack of insulation so hoping to insulate between the joists of the ceiling and also the roof joists too

Another 6-8 double sockets sitting to install aswell as extra lighting and then will paint walls/floor etc

Has been left with hot cold feed etc but tbh dunno where is even put a sink

Looking forward to getting stuck in... All the junk down the rhs has been cleared too so shud be good and usable

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various

Had cavity but didn't realise builder wasn't insulating it so gonna have to get beads injected or summat.

Probably worth it as I see you have a radiator. What about the door though, I can't really tell from the pics?
If it's not insulated you'll loose far more heat through it than you'll gain from wall insulation.

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
Yeah door isn't insulated but does make a relatively good seal... Eventually will look into an insulated one but it's down the line

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
The long awaited 2nd coat pics. Happy enough. Just need a do a few sections again. Hoping my sprayer arrives tomorrow or Friday and then I can finish it off.

Got 4 extra double sockets put in too.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

dub

RMS Regular
Drives
Aero Wagon
This weekend I'm getting a few hours to finally tackle my shed. One of the jobs on my list is building a workbench across the width of the back.

Does anyone have any suggestions/improvements you'd suggest to someone in my position, a first time builder? I'll have the ambulance on speed dial.

Gaz86

RMS Regular
This weekend I'm getting a few hours to finally tackle my shed. One of the jobs on my list is building a workbench across the width of the back.

Does anyone have any suggestions/improvements you'd suggest to someone in my position, a first time builder? I'll have the ambulance on speed dial.

Measure twice (or like me possibly three times), cut once (y) My advice lol ;)

Reactions: dub

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular

Put extra support below the workbench. I put kitchen worktop with a vice in my shed but where the support legs sit it just the plywood floor. I did want them to put extra supports under the shed when it was built but they mustn't have and the worktop moves about if you are doing heavy work.

Reactions: dub

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
Don't insulate at ceiling and rafter level - pick one. You run the risk of interstitial condensation doing both.
See I was gonna do the entire roof lining as although I intend on putting a ceiling on its not going to be entirely seals with the first 2-3 joists left open for access so it wouldn't be a totally sealed 'chamber' as such?

Would that still be the case for interstitial condensation?

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE
See I was gonna do the entire roof lining as although I intend on putting a ceiling on its not going to be entirely seals with the first 2-3 joists left open for access so it wouldn't be a totally sealed 'chamber' as such?

Would that still be the case for interstitial condensation?

There's 2 types of roof construction, warm and cold. In very basic terms, warm roofs are insulated at rafter level so the roof void is warm. Cold roofs are insulated at ceiling level so the void above is cold.
There's a lot of variables that have an effect on both roof types - location of vapour control layers, type of underlay, ventilation, type of insulation etc.
You generally do one or the other, not both.
Best bet is to speak to the insulation manufacturer and explain what you want to achieve and they can advise on the most suitable product and installation (y)

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth

So best to take the car out? :p

I was thinking about getting it done before I put a new garage door on so I don't have to worry about turning that white lol