Roundabout lanes

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
Got stopped yesterday by the police who were doing one of their "public awareness" exercises at the Castlebawn Roundabout in Ards at the new Tescos. Basically they have one spotter sitting in the unfinished junction relaying info to officers further down the road who pull you into a bus stop to have a word.

Basically, they were saying that we (along with several hundred of thousand motorists) were in the wrong lane to go straight on at the roundabout. I argue the point that since one of the junctions is effectively unfinished and has been for many months (and probably never will be), the road markings are themselves wrong and as we are leaving the roundabout at the 2nd exit, we are in the right.

Would you think the same or am I being a bell?

Approach showing road arrows, straight on and right only.
Castlebawn1.jpg

Unfinished junction
Castlebawn2.jpg

Further round
Castlebawn3.jpg

The "correct" way will cause plenty off accidents, it's already a lottery on it.

bigsigh

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
the right hand lane im assuming

re reading your post i have no idea which you used lol, but i use the right hand lane (y)

DEEJAY.B

RMS Regular
Drives
AUDI A4 Advant .
I drive a van all day and these wee roundabouts do my head in ,
the straight on lane seems to vary on a lot of them and the
road markings are only a short distance from the junction , so if theres
a queue of traffic and your unfamiliar with the area theres a fair
chance you could be in the wrong lane . .
Gettin back to your point ,i fill the van at that Tesco,s and would
drive that roundabout as you said ,tho i always keep an eye out
going past the Tesco exit in case someone does pull out on me .

pablo

RMS Moderator
Only according to road markings. I think it would be perfect acceptable to use the right lane there and go straight across. But only if it has dual lanes straight across.

nope, youre being explicity told the right lane is for right only. Anything else is a breach of the road markings.

bigsigh

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
nope, youre being explicity told the right lane is for right only. Anything else is a breach of the road markings.

but that is the Right hand Exit pablo, its the last one on the round about

m5lvyn

RMS Regular
Drives
GT4
I do the same, left for tesco and straight on (ie 3rd exit inc the dormant one), right hand lane to either go straight on (and go towards portaferry direction at next roundabout) or go right around the roundabout.

They need to make the directions more clear as the dormant exit makes no sense!

pablo

RMS Moderator
the fact that the new exit (Im assuming its a right turn from where youre at) is not used is completely irrelevant.

Rocko

RMS Regular
OP
Rocko
Drives
Pure Soul
It's mainly a confusion because of the roundabout being unfinished.

Straight on is technically exit 3. But in reality, only exit 2.

Police say to go across the roundabout (exit after Tescos) use the right hand lane.

Karlos Da Jackle

RMS Regular
Drives
PUG 306+GSI CARL
the straight on exit. you cant use the right lane, marked right only, to go straight on. Not ever under any circumstance.

Your 100% right in what you are saying.

But I mean IMO wouldn't bother me, as it isn't dangerous.

Same as I'd do 33MPH in a 30MPH. or 45MPH in a 40 zone, and 80 on the motorway.

While under no circumstances you show do above 30MPH in a 30MPH zone.

pablo

RMS Moderator
oh I got it wrong then sorry. any chance of an aerial?

ok looking from above thats a very badly laid out roundabout. the main A20 should be on the straight ahead, not offset to the right. While the copper is likely correct in that you should use the right lane its pretty stupid.

apologies for my confusion.

Rocko

RMS Regular
OP
Rocko
Drives
Pure Soul
Castlebawn4.jpg

Im coming from bottom left and going top right in the inside lane.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.