Roundabout lanes

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Broomy

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk5 GTi
Right hand lane for anything past tescos, always thought it was pretty clear tbh. Whether the 1st (unused) leads anywhere or not it's still there. Does drive me mad when people do that. Personally i'd love a camera installed so when an accident occurs the innocent party in the correct lane won't lose out.

tomah

RMS Regular
Drives
Acura MDX
The lack of continuity in roundabouts does my head it.

One that always annoys me is the variation in two main roundabouts on the Coleraine Ring Road. On approach to the Lodge Road roundabout you see this:

oiexjn.png

The approach is dual lane, and the split is for the right lane for the 3 lane roundabout. Left stays left, next two exits are middle, and the next two are right lane.

Simple.

But, travel a mile up the Ring Road towards Limavady direction to the Strand Road roundabout, and it's the opposite. It's the left lane that splits into two. Because of this roundabout, your natural reaction is to stay right to go straight on. But, you have to stay left to go straight on.

I don't drive this way much these days, but that Strand Road roundabout approach gets me nearly every time. Very annoying.

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Cant see your photos but if its the same as the google maps link Pablo put up the markings are clear and thats what counts in the end regardless of whats built. Besides, you are clearing turning right to go to Portaferry road r'about :p Doesnt matter if there was only ever to be 2 exits (Tesco and P'Ferry Rd), unless they marked the road for 2 lanes to turn right then thats that. But i agree those roundabouts from Hughes are a bit odd.

At least the cops are trying to teach people and not just bust drivers for nothing :grinning:

Karlos Da Jackle

RMS Regular
Drives
PUG 306+GSI CARL
Castlebawn4.jpg

Im coming from bottom left and going top right in the inside lane.

To be fair, I'd agree with the Copper.

My view there would be left hand side lane, for exit, field, or exit tesco. Right hand side lane for your so called straight on, exit 3.

The way I view striagh on at a roundabout, is at the approach. What ever angle you road is coming into the roundabout, straigh on is directly straight across the roundabout.

Broomy

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk5 GTi
not just bust drivers for nothing :grinning:

It's not for nothing though, i'm all for police being lenient but people are just doing whatever they want there & it's only a matter of time before there's an accident, if there hasn't been already.

johnm

RMS Regular
Its ridiculous the lane discipline here.
One place i notice it most is the roundaboot at stockmans lane.
Near been slapped into a couple of times there all because people cant see 2ft infront of them.

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
It's not for nothing though, i'm all for police being lenient but people are just doing whatever they want there & it's only a matter of time before there's an accident, if there hasn't been already.
Yes but what i mean is they are at least educating people. No point just pulling a driver in and whacking a fine or points on them and walking off, that teaches nothing to anyone. They are using a sensible approach thankfully (y)

RComms

RMS Regular
Drives
E63
I don't know the roundabout, but based solely on the ariel photo, i'd use the left lane for the first 2 exits, which occur before the 12 O'Clock and the right hand lane for anything beyond the 12 O'Clock, i.e. exit 3. I think that works with the road markings as well... unless i'm missing something.

Broomy

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk5 GTi
Yes but what i mean is they are at least educating people. No point just pulling a driver in and whacking a fine or points on them and walking off, that teaches nobody anything. They are using a sensible approach thankfully (y)

Fine & 3 points would certainly put me off doing it again :p

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
if you used the right lane, and went straight on, then youre in the wrong.

It is very unclear. You need to ask them what their definition of a right turn is when entering the roundabout, and have them put it in writing.. Without other signage to indicate what they mean, both lanes are fair game for anything 2nd/3rd exit or more depending on how close together they are, and no of lanes on the roundabout.

For the right turn to mean you must stay on the roundabout and leave at the same exit you just started from the roundabout itself would also need road markings to indicate this. Like the one at the City Hotel in Londonderry

Rocko

RMS Regular
OP
Rocko
Drives
Pure Soul
Does that change things?

Attachments

• rabout.jpg
    rabout.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 850

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
It is very unclear. You need to ask them what their definition of a right turn is when entering the roundabout, and have them put it in writing.. Without other signage to indicate what they mean, both lanes are fair game for anything 2nd/3rd exit or more depending on how close together they are, and no of lanes on the roundabout.
But the road markings are there and there is no other exit after the (technically) third :confounded: So P'Ferry Road direction is your right turn given the options.

Rocko, that would be 1 straight on and 2 right turns for me. Rocko, if heading to Groomsport coming down the ring road roundabouts, what lane and exit would you take for the G-port?

AC

RMS Regular
Would you think the same or am I being a bell?

So the overall consensus here is that you are being a bell. :p

Even though the first exit is unfinished, it is still classed as an exit so you can't use the left lane for the 3rd exit. I crack up all the time at that roundabout (I have a bad bout of road rage there).

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
I was always told by my driving instructor that anything after 12 o'clock use the right hand lane unless specifically marked. However the right hand lane in your example is marked for the right turn and from the overhead shot it is the right turn and so should be used anyway. In either case the left lane for the 1st exit that leads to nothing or the second and the right hand lane for the third exit.

Karlos Da Jackle

RMS Regular
Drives
PUG 306+GSI CARL
I don't know the roundabout, but based solely on the ariel photo, i'd use the left lane for the first 2 exits, which occur before the 12 O'Clock and the right hand lane for anything beyond the 12 O'Clock, i.e. exit 3. I think that works with the road markings as well... unless i'm missing something.

That's how I approach a roundabout.

But basically I think where the confusion is in ths case. And I think what your missing is.

The route Rocko took, The exit he used was the actual same road. the same named 'A' road. Which he'd consider to be a straight on road. Like He was travelling on the A1, came to the roundbout, and continued straigh on forward, unto the A1 again.

I only made tha road name A1 up, god knows what that road is called, but you get my drift.

endofreak

RMS Regular
Drives
Triumph Speed Tr
If the 3rd exit on this roundabout was considered as a straight on then why bother having the right turn lane in the first place? Just to double back on yourself?

RComms

RMS Regular
Drives
E63
That's how I approach a roundabout.

But basically I think where the confusion is in ths case. And I think what your missing is.

The route Rocko took, The exit he used was the actual same road. the same named 'A' road. Which he'd consider to be a straight on road. Like He was travelling on the A1, came to the roundbout, and continued straigh on forward, unto the A1 again.

I only made tha road name A1 up, god knows what that road is called, but you get my drift.

I don't think it matters what road is where, or if there are dead exits or not imho. 12 o'clock is 12 o'clock.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.