Serviced yesterday!

e320mark

RMS Regular
I’ve just lifted the bonnet on the x3 after the car being serviced yesterday. Surely the oil cap should have some dirt disturbed when the car was re filled with oil?
Am I missing something here?
IMG_3489.jpeg
IMG_3488.jpeg

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Did you try removing it with gloves on and see if it changes the appearance? Might well be that the dust is not easily removed.

e320mark

RMS Regular
OP
e320mark
Did you try removing it with gloves on and see if it changes the appearance? Might well be that the dust is not easily removed.
I rubbed a bit in another place & it came right off which is why I’m now suspicious the oil hasn’t been changed

WSK

RMS Regular
Drives
R
Hmm you'd think it would be visible someone touched it, can you see if there's any marks on the filter housing?

Was this done by Main Dealer?

e320mark

RMS Regular
OP
e320mark
Hmm you'd think it would be visible someone touched it, can you see if there's any marks on the filter housing?

Was this done by Main Dealer?
Yes, main dealer as the car is still under warranty.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
Yes, main dealer as the car is still under warranty.
If it was Bavarian, they didn't refill my 330 when it was in for first service many years ago.

Dealer principal had to arrange recovery of the car.

Do they not video your service nowadays, I think Audi do.

WSK

RMS Regular
Drives
R
Don't know if you seen my N57 thread, but it got serviced by Bavarian and the main bearings went 1000 mile later. Did an oil analysis which said the apparent 1000 mile oil showed a lot of oxidation which should only show in oil 10'000 mile old... As if it wasn't changed at all.

Long story short they offered to show me CCTV of it being changed, but i didn't take them up on it. Still sceptical it was changed tbh.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Doesn't look too unusual to me. Could have just popped the cap off without touching the base. It's kind of hard to tell on the photos if the sides are dirty.

Any marring on the oil filter housing?

paddyirishman

RMS Regular
Definitely no dipstick? I found one at the back of the engine on my old 430d just before I traded it in. 😖
1000059865.png

e320mark

RMS Regular
OP
e320mark
Doesn't look too unusual to me. Could have just popped the cap off without touching the base. It's kind of hard to tell on the photos if the sides are dirty.

Any marring on the oil filter housing?
IMG_3490.jpeg

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Looks to me like someone has been at it. Could always open the fill plug and see what shape the oil is in, though it's always hard to tell especially if it's a DERV.

e320mark

RMS Regular
OP
e320mark
Looks to me like someone has been at it. Could always open the fill plug and see what shape the oil is in, though it's always hard to tell especially if it's a DERV.
Yes, derv so oil will be black by now anyway!

Ian A

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
The cap picture above does look to have some disturbance right on the edges. I would lift the cap off to see for any loose oil / further evidence.

Could ask for proof in the form of CCTV per @WSK 's case.

Would be some scandal if it could be proven.

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Did the service actually require an oil change?
I know in previous BMWs of my dads, which had a "full BMW service history", when actually read into meant the oil had been changed once in 60,000 miles.

e320mark

RMS Regular
OP
e320mark
Did the service actually require an oil change?
I know in previous BMWs of my dads, which had a "full BMW service history", when actually read into meant the oil had been changed once in 60,000 miles.
I’ve been billed for a filter & oil so would assume so!

RCT

RMS Regular
Don't know if you seen my N57 thread, but it got serviced by Bavarian and the main bearings went 1000 mile later. Did an oil analysis which said the apparent 1000 mile oil showed a lot of oxidation which should only show in oil 10'000 mile old... As if it wasn't changed at all.

Long story short they offered to show me CCTV of it being changed, but i didn't take them up on it. Still sceptical it was changed tbh.

I tried one of those oil analysis things from oil lab few years back to see what it’d say. It all came back all clear on an M3. I was for doing the rod bolts anyway but what it didn’t tell me was there was about 4 oil jets lying in the sump when it was took off. So whilst reports are all well and good showing no signs of issues, clearly in my case there was.

Reactions: WSK

WSK

RMS Regular
Drives
R
Oh I imagine my bearings were already on their way out - common issue with the N57. Was more the Oil did not seem to be changed at all, although it was paid for annoyed me.

But yeah, they are not gospel but I think worthwhile for a clue on engine health.

Reactions: RCT