Someone To Remove Sheered Locknut

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Had to remove a set of Golf R wheels at the weekend and one of the locknuts wouldn't budge and the key kept slipping off it - had to get the owner to take it to Kwik Fit to remove it for him which was effortless enough

As said, bin them at first opportunity - too many times the lock nut has cracked inside the bolt

jinjur

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 172
Hey Mr @Lyons

Had this exact thing happen to wifeys 3 series when we needed the tyres changed.

I tried for a few days and failed at every stage. Brought it to a gent up Waterloo road in lisburn who welded a hunk of steel onto it and had it out in no time. Not far from you tbh.

Yes, wheel was singed but at that stage, i was done pissing around with all of the less intrusive options.

Its the 2 brothers that used to run Taylors garage in Lisburn behind Smyth Pattersons.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
I usually use Lyons seniors’ cheap tools for jobs like this rather than wrecking my own good ones. They have failed me this time!

IMG_5572.jpeg

Did manage to get the broken bit out at least, so will just buy a key to get them all out.

IMG_5570.jpeg

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
Gilnahirk did some for me back in the day for a few quid

Was someone else used ‘ez outs’ another time too but can’t mind who that was

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
They have internal left hand flutes that tighten as you turn anti clockwise, you need to knock them on with a hammer to get them to bite in first, then turn. Good job, can get most stuff loosened without getting too biblical with fire and violence.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
unbelievably the only damage is from me hammering a socket on last night!

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Ford in Lisburn used to have the full set of locking wheel nut keys. Had to go there after ford lost the key after a service ffs

Same as a few people tho, our brand new custom in work which we got last week. Locking bits straight off!

Sham1

RMS Regular

Attachments

• EFE0455A-0971-4123-A073-C337EC5ACF66.jpeg
    EFE0455A-0971-4123-A073-C337EC5ACF66.jpeg
    253.6 KB · Views: 0

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
I ended up getting 1 on Amazon and broke it too. That’s what lead to the episode above.

I did take the 3 looser ones out first thought to ensure I’d only have 1 to butcher.

Still tempted to replace the lock nut and get another key and just keep them, despite the general consensus!