Speed Limit on Dual Carriageway after Logans heading to Ballymoney

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford

tomah

RMS Regular
Drives
Acura MDX
The divide is there purely to serve the junctions, but it definitely is a divide.

Although the camera always sits further up at the safe overtaking lane where there is definitely no divide.

Correct (y)

I just wanted to show Paul that's he's not mad (in this case :grinning:). That there is a divide along there. But as you say, it's not where he likely got caught.

tomah

RMS Regular
Drives
Acura MDX
With all my due care on the stretch of road this thread is about, I'm hoping I had slowed down in time as I used the passing lane going up the hill out of Ballymoney this morning. They were sitting right beyond the crest of the hill to get overtakers.

I'm seriously considering visiting my local MLA to lobby for a change in the law. They shouldn't be allowed to sit at the other end of brief overtaking lanes!

Stu Beck

RMS Regular
With all my due care on the stretch of road this thread is about, I'm hoping I had slowed down in time as I used the passing lane going up the hill out of Ballymoney this morning. They were sitting right beyond the crest of the hill to get overtakers.

I'm seriously considering visiting my local MLA to lobby for a change in the law. They shouldn't be allowed to sit at the other end of brief overtaking lanes!
Can you not overtake without speeding?

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
in fairness they are a prime spot for an accident. someone going too fast trying to nip in at the end and running out of brakes/road.

still hateful though

tomah

RMS Regular
Drives
Acura MDX

Sometimes. But it's not always the safest option.

E.g. this morning it was two lorries doing 50. That's quite a distance to get past doing only 10mph more and makes it more dangerous than a brief blast to 70-75 to get past quickly. I think I was slowed down before the crest, but it's annoying all the same.

mr_s81

RMS Regular
Drives
FozSTI
Saw them there too this morning. The way they were positioned was very sneaky as by the time you would have saw them on the crest of the hill it was too late.

Thankfully there were plenty of good citizens who were more than happy to flash their lights to warn the oncoming traffic of the speed camera's unwanted presence!

brendy

RMS Regular
its sent off now anyway - will see if I get course or points.
An officer mate (has served 20 plus years and abhors moneymaking policing) got a nip a while back and has refused the course and if he ever gets a court date, will be representing himself snd will ask for evidence, having spoken to a friend of his in the courts, she told him that they were over stretched and if more people refused the straight points/course route, they couldnt possibly process them so would be taking the worst cases first and working down the scale of offences (ie those with highest margin over the speed limit). My mate is expecting no more correspondance. It has been quite a few weeks now.

Stu Beck

RMS Regular
Three points for a speeding offence wont affect your insurance, so unless you have nine already take the points.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford

There is a baffling scenario here...

You could drive for miles, held up by arseholes sitting at 40mph....yet as soon as they come to an overtaking lane where you want to pass them...suddenly they speed up to the limit. So legally you cant pass. Then as sure as the sun comes up every morning....at the end of the overtaking lane that same ****er slows back down again holding up a huge queue behind them

The change in the law that's needed...among many, is the fact it's illegal to burn the bloody vans

RCT

RMS Regular
Sometimes. But it's not always the safest option.

E.g. this morning it was two lorries doing 50. That's quite a distance to get past doing only 10mph more and makes it more dangerous than a brief blast to 70-75 to get past quickly. I think I was slowed down before the crest, but it's annoying all the same.

The lorries should be doing 40mph on that bit of road though. They did a fella I know in a lorry for 48 on that road. That's why there is a lot of people 'warning' others of the *******s sitting at the usual spots!!
And they'll also sit on it on a Sunday morning.

tomah

RMS Regular
Drives
Acura MDX
yet as soon as they come to an overtaking lane where you want to pass them...suddenly they speed up to the limit. So legally you cant pass.

Amazing phenomenon, isn't it? Tis enough to drive one mad.

The lorries should be doing 40mph on that bit of road though. They did a fella I know in a lorry for 48 on that road. That's why there is a lot of people 'warning' others of the *******s sitting at the usual spots!!
And they'll also sit on it on a Sunday morning.

40mph for lorries on the Frocess going up out of the town towards JMF? Surely not?

I have to say, it was particularly slow this morning going down towards Ballymena. There was a TK Maxx lorry (one with the curved roof trailer) that was doing 20-25mph the whole way to Glarryford, adding to my morning frustrations! lol

genman

G
just be careful about the central reservation....it has to be like the carriageway dividers on a motorway...solid rail or better...grassy bits don't count.
A26 from Antrim to Ballymena is a prime example...mostly 60 zone til you get to the newer bit at Pennybridge.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Asda and Tesco lorries are very annoying for that.

They may have stickers on the back claiming it is for road safety reasons ( and legal of course )....I wonder how many accidents it causes due to frustrated drivers overtaking due to the huge queues they can cause though ?

genman

G
Asda and Tesco lorries are very annoying for that.

They may have stickers on the back claiming it is for road safety reasons ( and legal of course )....I wonder how many accidents it causes due to frustrated drivers overtaking due to the huge queues they can cause though ?
Its not just that straight forward...most of those firms have clauses in the drivers contracts that if they get caught speeding they can loose their jobs...M&S are the same.
Its to do with the fact that it can create a bad image for the companies and impact their safety record if the drivers are seen to be a road hazard by not adhering to the speed limits.

RCT

RMS Regular
nobody told the drivers that are late for the boats in Larne

I thought it was common knowledge? Sure it's the same whenever you come across a 40footer doing 40 on the A75, normally means cops about or something, especially a Northern Ireland truck if its not a tesco/Asda/m+s unit.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Its not just that straight forward...most of those firms have clauses in the drivers contracts that if they get caught speeding they can loose their jobs...M&S are the same.
Its to do with the fact that it can create a bad image for the companies and impact their safety record if the drivers are seen to be a road hazard by not adhering to the speed limits.

It impacts their safety record of course, and I'm not saying the drivers should speed

But the claims that abiding by these limits is for safety purposes is a strange argument. Their vehicles may not be directly involved in as many accidents, that doesnt mean their road blocking actions ( despite being the law ) arent the indirect cause of other accidents for other vehicles.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
just be careful about the central reservation....it has to be like the carriageway dividers on a motorway...solid rail or better...grassy bits don't count.
A26 from Antrim to Ballymena is a prime example...mostly 60 zone til you get to the newer bit at Pennybridge.

Incorrect. "Grassy bits" are still a barrier as such.

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
Its a disaster that climbing lane. People toddle along at 50 up to it then speed up when they are on it meaning you have to break the speed limit to pass them.

Just a cash generator as many have said, it wouldnt have prevented a friends brothers death at the crossroads, although the new road layout may have helped.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.