speeding on R plates

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I'd say sitting at 45 mph on the motorway is more dangerous than 'speeding' at 60 (on R's). But I don't make up the rules.

I'm pretty sure Avo isn't originally from NI so chances are he didn't even need to display R plates ;)

Alan_B

RMS Regular
Drives
Whatever
I have to agree with Coog - sitting at 45 on the M1 etc is just dangerous. I never had my R plates up as I travelled from Hillsborough to Jordanstown everyday and didnt much see the point!

I've been a lucky boy when it comes to being stopped for speeding. Got away with ~70 in a 30 (3am going through Anahilt) and 120 on the M1 (not traffic branch + they apparently had a prisoner in the back of the car, which might have explained the huge guns!)

To be honest getting stopped a few times and having the hear of god put in me has made me a better driver and certainly alot more aware!

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
I'd say sitting at 45 mph on the motorway is more dangerous than 'speeding' at 60 (on R's). But I don't make up the rules.

I'm pretty sure Avo isn't originally from NI so chances are he didn't even need to display R plates ;)
This is something I've had arguments about, as I wouldn't drive on the motorway on my R's because 45mph is to slow and dangerous and thought you could get pulled over for going that slow, or the other option was to speed on the motorway.

Mark315

RMS Regular
Drives
R
Still on my R's now and do my best to avoid motorways, I feel like such a d*ck on it having to go at 45mph. I understand how frustrating it is for other drivers having to deal with a situation like this, so I try to avoid putting them in this situation.

Yes we all get the urge to speed, but imo its part of the learning curve, if you get stopped by the cops that's all the better, you can be sure not to do it again.
Lesson learned and keep easy on the right foot!

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
I like most sped on my R's but was never caught by the police but was caught by a flood and a tree. Soon wised me up.

Hope all turns out well for you mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
Still on my R's now and do my best to avoid motorways

I remember going on the motorway when I had the 'R' plates on the bike. Frightening is not the word for for doing 45mph on the motorway on a bike. Needless to say I took the plates down for the return journey. Much safer.

jimcupra

RMS Regular
I passed my test at 17 came off my r plates when I was 21 :p. Op your looking at the books gone, I was done for 62 in a 30 on my r's. Nearly lost them for that but the nice judge was unaware of my previous. 6 months extension and fined £50, I was just lucky. Or unlucky however you look at it..

killerzkurtz

RMS Regular
Drives
07 cooper s
I passed my test at 17 came off my r plates when I was 21 :p. Op your looking at the books gone, I was done for 62 in a 30 on my r's. Nearly lost them for that but the nice judge was unaware of my previous. 6 months extension and fined £50, I was just lucky. Or unlucky however you look at it..
Hahhaha keep her lit boy
62 in a 30

alpha-dog

RMS Regular
The police officer said the summons would be out in 2 ta 3 months but never give me anything is that normal ?

i didnt get a summons for 2 and a half years for my charge, get yourself a good solicitor and deny everything to the bitter end.

R plates are pointless btw, they dont have them down south or on the mainland so why here? i personally think its so the police can detect a young/new driver without having to put the reg in the computer. even if we did stick to 45mph until the year is over it doesnt automatically grant us all the knowledge we need to know on how to control a car at 70mph.

EDIT: for all the people that said they havent messed about or done anything illegal with they were on there R plate, im sure youre doing illegal stuff now since youre off your R plates. i see it everyday ****s using phones, illegal maneuvers, poor road etiquette list goes on.

and for the people joking about jail, its not a laughing matter.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
i didnt get a summons for 2 and a half years for my charge, get yourself a good solicitor and deny everything to the bitter end.

R plates are pointless btw, they dont have them down south or on the mainland so why here? i personally think its so the police can detect a young/new driver without having to put the reg in the computer.

'R' plates were introduced here as a trial for the rest of the UK, or so I've been told anyway. Needless to say they never went to the rest of the UK. They don't have them down south as its a different country with different laws and a different government. Might as well say they don't have them in India so why here. However other countries do place restrictions on new qualified drivers, Australia being one of note.

As for denying everything to the bitter end, yes if you've done nothing wrong by all means go down that route. It you were caught doing something wrong then admit it at the first opportunity. Judges hate people stringing things out as long as they can when it obvious their guilty. You'll also pay the solicitor a fortune by stringing it out.

alpha-dog

RMS Regular
'R' plates were introduced here as a trial for the rest of the UK, or so I've been told anyway. Needless to say they never went to the rest of the UK. They don't have them down south as its a different country with different laws and a different government. Might as well say they don't have them in India so why here. However other countries do place restrictions on new qualified drivers, Australia being one of note.

As for denying everything to the bitter end, yes if you've done nothing wrong by all means go down that route. It you were caught doing something wrong then admit it at the first opportunity. Judges hate people stringing things out as long as they can when it obvious their guilty. You'll also pay the solicitor a fortune by stringing it out.

courts dont work that way, for example if you were to get charged with dangerous driving causing grievous bodily injuries (whether you did the crime or not) and you plea guilty youll get charged with it, minimum is two year ban and two year sentence. where as if you plea not guilty until you get a plea bargin and probably have the grievous bodily injures dropped, which can give you:
  • On indictment - 2 years imprisonment or a fine or both
  • Summary conviction - imprisonment not exceeding 6 months, or a fine, or both
  • Disqualification minimum 12 months
  • Obligatory endorsement
  • Mandatory disqualification until passes extended driving test
Sentencing Range:Non custodial options may be considered, coupled with a long period of disqualification, but usually a custodial penalty is appropriate, especially where a number of aggravating factors combine.

hmm which sounds better to you? this works with a lot of charges and not just driving offenses, yes the system is ****ed up no doubt about it.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
I know just fine how the court system works. And yes you can get offences dropped in court however if the prosecution feels that they can get a conviction then nothing will be dropped and you face harsher punishment for dragging it out. I've seen people in Ards court get disqualified for talking on a mobile phone which they contested instead of taking a ticket.

This is a simple speeding issue so I see no point in dragging it out.

avo5021

RMS Regular
You never sat at 50 instead of 45? Nothing like that? i dony mean breaking the soeedlimit by doing x2 of it etc If not well done cause I reckon most would have/did at some point during the r plate period :grinning:

Nope never broke any limits on R's. . .probably because i passed my test elsewhere and R plates weren't a requirement - thankfully !

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.