Subaru Impreza STI 330s

zafturbo

RMS Regular
Some of the roads around glenarm / Carnlough / cairncastle hillclimb and out over carnalbanagh into Ballymena are epic .never hardly pass another car on them .

Gambit

RMS Regular
OP
Gambit
It's been away to OMA getting new headgaskets, heads skimmed/valves cleaned , valve seats and clearances all checked/adjusted. It's now back and sounds like a sewing machine at idle (y) had sounded pretty noisy previously which turned out to be valve clearances all over the place

So took it a scalp out over hills out by larne line to make sure temps are all now sitting more like they should and no other issues bar a breather pipe popping off as clip wasnt fully seated.

20191019_143413.jpg

20191019_143429.jpg

Next up is more mapping time (y)

Mel

RMS Regular
Drives
S3
How long did Michael keep it :p Up over Shanes Hill I see, it's going to be resurfaced soon as far as I know.

zafturbo

RMS Regular
Yep shaneshill indeed, never been up there before just took a left of larne road to see where it led me to

Was only away for 6weeks...not too bad :p
Such a fast road just about 1 mile on up from there .some serious fast stretches and very fast sweeping corners .love that road .

300trophy

RMS Regular
Drives
Megane 275 Cup-S
That’s a brilliant road for a bit of staging. Other half is from Larne and before I persuaded her away from there I was along that road quite frequently - very fast in parts as @zafturbo says.

Car looks great, where you using the Golf as a daily while it was away?

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Love that road too, the Laharna lanes rally has used it as a link road for the tests out that direction for the last few years. Not been down it in anything quick though.. :p

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
Saw you passing the Odyssey around 3.30ish, looked great. Maybe on return from your staging lol

Gambit

RMS Regular
OP
Gambit
Such a fast road just about 1 mile on up from there .some serious fast stretches and very fast sweeping corners .love that road .
Yep first time on it and will certainly be back over it again!

That’s a brilliant road for a bit of staging. Other half is from Larne and before I persuaded her away from there I was along that road quite - very fast in parts as @zafturbo says.

Car looks great, where you using the Golf as a daily while it was away?

Yeah golf was on daily duties and never skipped a beat to be fair (y) was actually up in your work one Friday afternoon getting an airbox from one of your new sales guys, only realised you worked up there after reading it on here last week!

Saw you passing the Odyssey around 3.30ish, looked great. Maybe on return from your staging lol

Yep would have been heading back about that time after its run up over the hills I'm guessing you weren't in the RS?

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
Yep would have been heading back about that time after its run up over the hills I'm guessing you weren't in the RS?

Unfortunately not, wished I had, was a cracking day for it. Got it out today to make up for it though.

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
Love the vent gauge. may be a silly question but do you block the vent prior to installation or just fire the gauge in? surely heat and Cold would affect the gauge?

Gambit

RMS Regular
OP
Gambit
Love the vent gauge. may be a silly question but do you block the vent prior to installation or just fire the gauge in? surely heat and Cold would affect the gauge?

its still a fully functioning vent - supposedly tested for extreme temps and comes pre assembled in the vent so its all encased & bonded into the vent - the control box is mounted in the dash with just the display unit in the in the vent.
Hot or Cold? No problem!
Even though the P3 V3 installs in your air vent, we keep in mind that you need that heat and A/C while designing each gauge.

Electronics in a harsh climate? We've got that covered too.
We've torture-tested our gauges to the extreme. From frozen solid at -94 F to physically melting at hundreds of degrees, our gauges function far beyond the limits of the in-car environment.

L3P3S7SX-1_silver__60216.1569426195.jpg

Gambit

RMS Regular
OP
Gambit
Now that the super shiney 330s of @CharlySkunkWeed has left our shores...takes the look off my 6ft shiney one :p

20191201_152408.jpg

20191201_152725.jpg

20191201_152611.jpg

20191201_152110.jpg

Always going for the standard look but under bonnet tells a diff story (y)

20191201_153003.jpg

Next up on mods list is the revised
MY11 onwards front wishbones with far far better spherical bush set up

Should really paint front but itll get wrecked again in no time being a daily!

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Driven past this today on cairnshill looked mint and nice presence on the road

Gambit

RMS Regular
OP
Gambit
Good to see it back home was nice seeing the mk2 in the drive though

Change the wife’s car ?

Yeah was good having the mk2 out for the couple of months or so, it never put a foot out of place but just not suitable for daily duties too concerned about someone driving into me!!

Yep changed the wee polo for an a3, nice job she loves it

Gambit

RMS Regular
OP
Gambit
And 20mths later....I get to drive it again!

Short story
'Forged' Engine shít itself, got fixed and other stuff now its back after a long time....go straight to images

Long story
After the headgaskets & head rebuild job Michael @ OMA had warned me that he wasnt happy with the 'forged' bottom end in the car, he said the RCM headstuds has been bottomed out previously and had damaged the threads but he'd managed to get them torqued but was just letting me know

Shortly after oil started mixing in water something not very common in Subaru's it's usually the opposite...we tried a few things like new modine etc but still happening so he said two options we take it out and strip it or you drive it on to see can we pinpoint and sure if it fails it still has to come out.

With that in mind I just drove it on. It then failed in spectacular fashion one day and left me stranded at side of road. Got recovered by Fred back to house and done some initial investigation on the ok from Michael

Found a hole in side of cam cover then a bit of fishing I pulled out what looked like a head stud washer... so head stud pulled the threads in block allowing nut to unwind itself and then rattle around valve train before exiting the cam cover....only noticed by a slight smoke haze in rear view mirror. It was still running when I pulled over but something was very wrong given the amount of oil pissing of it

Then covid hit so OMA closed then when reopened I was put on the long term job list which meant a long wait to get to top of that list

But here it is

Fresh bottom end rebuild with 14mm headstud conversion, new matching rods (yes that's correct the original build has a mixed set😫) and a load of other **** done that was just plain wrong in the previous build although I probably pushed it past its limits also

Plus got the Spec C revised front wishbones fitted, bilstein rebuilt the cosworth rear struts for me and also got a nice RCM return to sump catch can setup installed instead of AOS just to tidy it up a bit more

Few pics of the original damage with oil running out of it and had sprayed wheel and also underside is now well rust protected/oiled....

20200428_194948.jpg

20200428_201139.jpg

20200504_192134.jpg

20200504_200235.jpg

20200504_200603.jpg

20200505_175229.jpg

20200505_180303.jpg

And then just one of it home as of yesterday plus engine bay shot

20211218_083228.jpg

20211218_091409.jpg

Chuffed to get it back.....like getting a new car 🤣 will probably cost me as much also :worried:

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Good to see it back, at least you know it’s now done right with Michael doing it. Who did the original forged bottom end job?

Gambit

RMS Regular
OP
Gambit
Good to see it back, at least you know it’s now done right with Michael doing it. Who did the original forged bottom end job?
Was originally built by Ali back in 2014 for the previous owner, I'd be pretty sure it was built to tolerate std 325bhp but then I pushed it further when I bought it, even the rcm headstuds where later amended to state on selling they where limited to 350bhp - it lasted for 5yrs before it went bang so decent enough length of time

It was also traded in rather than being sold by previous owner (and he was very weird also denied he even traded it) so something may even have happened after Ali built it so I wouldnt even question Ali's workmanship over it plus it was Ali who rang me to tell me where the car was and could be had for trade money at the time