Subaru Impreza STI 330s

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
What a journey! Fingers crossed this will keep you on the road for another while!

What sort of power is it running now?

Gambit

RMS Regular
OP
Gambit
What a journey! Fingers crossed this will keep you on the road for another while!

What sort of power is it running now?

It was about 420bhp before headgaskets went so another map tweak once run in should maybe see a slight gain but I dont really want much more out of it, solid 400/400 was the target I set a start

That would literally break my heart! Did it go off with a loud bang? I would shiit my pants

That's the thing, I didnt hear it happening it was smoke haze out the back alerted me something wasnt right...it was still running as normal when I pulled over and then it just emptied itself I guess all the oil was lying in the undertray and I parked up on a slope

It did break my heart when i found the hole given it was only a couple of months after getting the top end rebuilt....but I really like the car so itll be staying for a few more years now

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
That's the thing, I didnt hear it happening it was smoke haze out the back alerted me something wasnt right...

LOL that happened to me once before when I topped oil up on my car - mind was elsewhere and somehow I forgot to put the cap back on. Was heading into work, booted it from a ramp then noticed this huge plume of smoke out the back - shiit myself thinking the turbo had gone! Opened the bonnet and the mess I was greeted with will be forever burned in my mind! Like an oil murder scene lol

Needless to say the car was fine, later on I raced at St Angelos and did an 11s quarter mile :joy:

Gambit

RMS Regular
OP
Gambit
Operation stealth mode/rover 200 mode

Scoop had irritated me since going fmic as it was just a gaping hole in the bonnet letting all wet/roadcrud in so when I spotted a bonnet same colour for 80 across water I couldnt resist...

Before (with a blanking plate fitted)
20220401_171432.jpg

After
20220507_142741.jpg

20220507_141529.jpg

Must be worth at least 25bhp on aerodynamics alone 😜

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
It is one of their defining features I have to agree, but each to their own and all that.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
I think with the hatch the normal subaru rules don't apply so much. In fact, not sure most people would even notice it missing (the scoop was never as pronounced as older imprezas)

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
Just read the whole thread. Actually a fan of the new bonnet, when I had my blobeye I always thought if I went FMIC I'd go scoopless bonnet. Scoop nearly came off the bonnet with the wind when I was having one less spirited drive to drop it to the new owner.

Did prefer the original grill tbh, but everything else is excellent

Gambit

RMS Regular
OP
Gambit
Just read the whole thread. Actually a fan of the new bonnet, when I had my blobeye I always thought if I went FMIC I'd go scoopless bonnet. Scoop nearly came off the bonnet with the wind when I was having one less spirited drive to drop it to the new owner.

Did prefer the original grill tbh, but everything else is excellent
That bonnet feeling like its gonna lift plus the actual front end lift you get without an intercooler in there to dissipate the air can feel quite unnerving!

I have a std grill on my ebay saved searches as wouldnt mind trying the cosworth sti style which is just standard with black top bar rather than the matt silver/grey

subie_andy33

RMS Regular
Drives
ImprezaSTI
Been well over a year since I was on here but good to see this thread has continued, one of my favourite cars on here (but then im biased). Sorry to hear about your engine trouble but glad to see it got sorted out :grinning:. In talks at the moment about forging mine but hard to decide if its worth it, or if i should sell up for something else.

I like the standard non scooped bonnet actually. Very purposeful looking considering you no longer have the top mount. I personally think a big vent (ala evo/celica gt4) would be awesome and help suck away hot air, but youre talking an expensive custom job that might not work with the bonnets structure anyway...

Gambit

RMS Regular
OP
Gambit
Been well over a year since I was on here but good to see this thread has continued, one of my favourite cars on here (but then im biased). Sorry to hear about your engine trouble but glad to see it got sorted out :grinning:. In talks at the moment about forging mine but hard to decide if its worth it, or if i should sell up for something else.

I like the standard non scooped bonnet actually. Very purposeful looking considering you no longer have the top mount. I personally think a big vent (ala evo/celica gt4) would be awesome and help suck away hot air, but youre talking an expensive custom job that might not work with the bonnets structure anyway...

i went through the same journey when it blew up there, do i just sell it broke, or fix it sell it or fix it keep it. but as much as i looked around i couldnt see anything that i wanted that was within a sensible budget and given that i actually really like the car i just went with fix it & keep it.

re vents. i had went through various vent heat extraction ideas for it my main concern was prevention of water ingress through said vents. So i narrowed it down to 2 options....both happened to be from a ford mustang.

1. Standard 2018 mustang bonnet vents ( i picked up a set already) - they are placed far front on the mustang bonnet but i had intending recessing them into the bonnet above the strut towers similar to the WRC location and then any water run off i can pipe down out the back of the inner arch protector

1653399701803.png

1653399935184.png

2. Shelby cobra bonnet vent that would be recessed into front of bonnet just after radiator - meant any water would run down between engine and rad rather than on to anything. same concern is not sure how the shape of vent would be in relation to curve on the bonnet. similar to this but vent would be further forward

1653399395766.png

but as you say its not something that would be quickly done and given the front of the car is pretty stone chipped/battle scarred from its daily usage - its something id only consider if/when getting the front end painted on it

subie_andy33

RMS Regular
Drives
ImprezaSTI
Yeah, Im in the same dilemma. Mines not broken (yet) but Ive had it three years and it just feels like a time bomb at 75k miles and I feel like its now or never - sell it or get it built and stop worrying about it. I feel the same in that I cant find anything id prefer that I could have for less than what I paid for my STI+cost of forged engine build (at least that's how im trying to justify it lol). Will maybe have to update my own thread eventually if its still on here lol

I like both vent ideas but I really like the mustang vents in the wrc locations as youve said. Id wonder if water ingress is a major issue or not as either location there shouldn't really be electronics or anything to be badly affected by water, apart from maybe fuse box? Hard to know really until youve done it. Either way I think vents would look great, still more understated than a scoop but a bit less plain than the standard bonnet

Gambit

RMS Regular
OP
Gambit
Yeah, Im in the same dilemma. Mines not broken (yet) but Ive had it three years and it just feels like a time bomb at 75k miles and I feel like its now or never - sell it or get it built and stop worrying about it. I feel the same in that I cant find anything id prefer that I could have for less than what I paid for my STI+cost of forged engine build (at least that's how im trying to justify it lol). Will maybe have to update my own thread eventually if its still on here lol

I like both vent ideas but I really like the mustang vents in the wrc locations as youve said. Id wonder if water ingress is a major issue or not as either location there shouldn't really be electronics or anything to be badly affected by water, apart from maybe fuse box? Hard to know really until youve done it. Either way I think vents would look great, still more understated than a scoop but a bit less plain than the standard bonnet

id that feeling previously with my old hawk sti where it was always there in the back of my mind that even though it was on 80k mile or so that one day it would still do a piston.

for me it worked out that the car hadn't really cost me that much in the time id had it, it was all upgrades & preventative maintenance up until that point and the car was probably still worth what i paid for it so it seemed a no brainer plus most importantly, i really like it.

Buying a new car would just start the process all over again. New engine means i now exactly where i am with every part on the car! Even getting it back people where saying will you sell it now, but the first drive after 20mths i was like nope its staying

Any further away pics without the bonnet? Pretty original move tbf

not really, just one i snapped at tesco the last week
20220516_205231.jpg