Sv1000s K4

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Dusty

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda CR-V
Just bought this, 2004, 12407 miles on the clock, couldn't find a mark on it.

Full fairings
Piper cross air filter
Micron exhaust
Power commander
GSXR 1000 rear shock
Gel seat
LED side lights
Gilles rear sets
Pyramid tinted screen
Tail tidy
Crash bungs
Tank pad

$_86 (1).JPG
$_86.JPG
The only thing I intend to change is the link pipes to a high level set if I can get them somewhere. There's a fabrication company locally who may be able to help.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Great sound of them and you don't have the standard rear shock, which I believe was the worst thing about them.
HTR.

Ryan L

RMS Regular
Drives
SV650 minitwin
I don't know about the 1000 but the standard suspension on the 650 isn't the best. Emulators and a spring change up front made a world of difference to mine, and a rear shock swap.

Dusty

RMS Regular
OP
Dusty
Drives
Honda CR-V
I think the front forks are actually ok but the rear shock swapout was a common mod. If the ice lifts tomorrow I'll be riding it home. Gingerly.

Debaser

RMS Regular
Drives
Kuga ST-Line X
Bought one of these brand new back in the day, same colour and all

Fantastic grunty engine, but bike was let down by disastrous handling

The shock mod can only help, I've seen guys swap the forks for Gixxer Thou USD items, although you need to be wary that the headstock wouldn't be designed for the stress that USD forks can put through that area

Has she been down the road? Theres normally SV1000 decals on each side of the upper fairing

You can get wee spacers online for the cans, which brings them in a bit closer to the rear tyre, looks a lot better

Dusty

RMS Regular
OP
Dusty
Drives
Honda CR-V

The shock mod can only help, I've seen guys swap the forks for Gixxer Thou USD items, although you need to be wary that the headstock wouldn't be designed for the stress that USD forks can put through that area

Has she been down the road? Theres normally SV1000 decals on each side of the upper fairing

You can get wee spacers online for the cans, which brings them in a bit closer to the rear tyre, looks a lot better

Don't believe so, bike is mint all around. Lower fairings aren't standard but didn't ask about decals so will check before taking tomorrow.

2fast4u

RMS Regular
Drives
V50, MT-10, MSX
Bought a K3 silver one brand new. Loved it and it had a full Ti Force system, GSXR upside down front end and a few other mods. Hard to beat a big twin!

Dusty

RMS Regular
OP
Dusty
Drives
Honda CR-V

History check came back clear thankfully, it's not unheard of for people to remove decals I suppose. Thanks for pointing it out, I wouldn't have noticed :grinning:

J55NI

RMS Regular
History check came back clear thankfully, it's not unheard of for people to remove decals I suppose. Thanks for pointing it out, I wouldn't have noticed :grinning:
A history check wouldn't tell you if some blokes slid up the road and fixed it himself , Worth checking round it yourself for tell tale signs :grinning:

Dusty

RMS Regular
OP
Dusty
Drives
Honda CR-V
Well, went to collect it and the bike kept cutting out at idle. Warmed it up a bit, brought it to the guys workshop to check the tyre pressure, switched the bike off and that was it. No lights, battery dead.

He tried jump leads which let the bike fire up but as soon as they came off the bike died, I took my cash back, left him £50 on the understanding that as long as a new battery sorted it I would take the bike. He hasn't changed the battery in 3 years, is trying to get a mechanic to charge it rather than pay the £40 for a new battery which I think is a bit penny pinching seeing as I had driven to collect it.

Pitviper

RMS Member
Drives
GSX1400
Hi Dusty.

Tbh mate, i would be wanting a VERY close look round that bike before parting with my money, what with the missing decals and all. Also the "penny pinching" attitude doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.

I'm pretty sure i saw that for sale on Gumtree myself and honestly mate, unless he's dropped it by quite a bit you've paid plenty for it.

For example i sold my 04 last year with 8k on the clock, Yoshimura cans and a load of extras for 2 grand on the button and it was genuinely like new and i'm a fussy git when it comes to my bikes.

Dusty

RMS Regular
OP
Dusty
Drives
Honda CR-V
Hi Dusty.

Tbh mate, i would be wanting a VERY close look round that bike before parting with my money, what with the missing decals and all. Also the "penny pinching" attitude doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.

I'm pretty sure i saw that for sale on Gumtree myself and honestly mate, unless he's dropped it by quite a bit you've paid plenty for it.

For example i sold my 04 last year with 8k on the clock, Yoshimura cans and a load of extras for 2 grand on the button and it was genuinely like new and i'm a fussy git when it comes to my bikes.

He was asking £2800, i agreed a bit less but it seems in line with any others I've seen from around that year. You could be right about it, I was happy with the bike and the chap seems alright but he almost tried to say it was my fault for starting it so many times. He also said he'd done his own servicing, hadn't changed the battery before and had owned it for three years. only found this out after the bike quit though.

Hmmm.........

I appreciate your thoughts, it's very much in line with what a couple of other people have said.

Dusty

RMS Regular
OP
Dusty
Drives
Honda CR-V
If anyone knows of a clean SV1000s or a supersport 600 for sale drop me a line :p :cool: :confounded:

Debaser

RMS Regular
Drives
Kuga ST-Line X
For what its worth, if you're after a big cheap twin I'd be considering an Aprilia SL1000 Falco

Much better bike that the SV but they are as rare as hens teeth

Also, usual Aprilia issues with parts etc but if you can find a mint one it would be worth considering

Dusty

RMS Regular
OP
Dusty
Drives
Honda CR-V
For what its worth, if you're after a big cheap twin I'd be considering an Aprilia SL1000 Falco

Much better bike that the SV but they are as rare as hens teeth

Also, usual Aprilia issues with parts etc but if you can find a mint one it would be worth considering

Doesn't have to be a big twin, I'm still undecided about the SV. Seller messaged to say he's putting a new battery now but i've kinda been put off.

Child went into hospital Sunday night too and again on Monday but now sorted, then wifes car is hitting me with £500 bill for wiper motors so it's all going against me at the minute :worried:

Pitviper

RMS Member
Drives
GSX1400
Dusty, i'm sorry to sound so direct but i hate to see people being ripped off. If you paid any more than £2200 quid for that bike you've paid too much mate; especially with the few questions hanging over it.

Honestly mate, i'd cut my losses and let that one go if it was me.

Is it just something around 1000cc you're after?

Whats your budget?

Its a good time of year for the buyer so worth waiting for a bargain.

Dusty

RMS Regular
OP
Dusty
Drives
Honda CR-V
Dusty, i'm sorry to sound so direct but i hate to see people being ripped off. If you paid any more than £2200 quid for that bike you've paid too much mate; especially with the few questions hanging over it.

Honestly mate, i'd cut my losses and let that one go if it was me.

Is it just something around 1000cc you're after?

Whats your budget?

Its a good time of year for the buyer so worth waiting for a bargain.

I've already done so, thank you for your thoughts though. I had left £50 as a deposit on the understanding that it only needed a new battery but on reflection and after a conversation with the seller where he let a few things slip I told him I was going to pass. I'm happy to leave the £50 rather than be left with a large paperweight and even larger mechanics bill.

He was trying to charge a battery which was at least 3 years old as he had never changed it rather than pay £35 for a new one. Advertised as having had frequent services, turns out he did them himself, offered to give me a spare tyre as it wouldn't fit his new bike, it was a race used part worn he got from a mate then on the day it didn't start he wanted more money for it.

I'm not after anything in particular, a nice 600 would be equally fine, I also like Z750/800 variants. Budget is flexible to a degree but I'm very away it's nothing more than an expensive toy which will be parked up over winter. If someone needs some quick cash for Christmas I'm all over it. I liked that SV because it's not something you see every day and the pics looked tidy.

Pitviper

RMS Member
Drives
GSX1400
I'll keep my eyes peeled for you around the £2500 mark then.

How tall/heavy are you?

Is this a first bike?

What do you want it to do? Summer toy? 2 up?

Dusty

RMS Regular
OP
Dusty
Drives
Honda CR-V
I'll keep my eyes peeled for you around the £2500 mark then.

How tall/heavy are you?

Is this a first bike?

What do you want it to do? Summer toy? 2 up?

Cheers, 5'10, 13.5 stone, reasonably flexible, summer toy, no pillion, may do a run to Silverstone next year so possibly a little bit of touring on the cards. Not a first bike but it first bike in about ten years. I don't want 1000cc supersport but have nothing against a 600. Don't mind quick, don't want warp speed if that makes sense.

Do you buy and sell bikes or what?

thanks for the help by the way :grinning:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.