The Two Port Porker 944's

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
Looking good Barry. It's sorting all the relatively small things that make a difference. Interesting you got those speakers to fit. I bought super thin PYE ones for the the front doors but still couldn't get them to fit under the grills. Would need a wee dremel to trim the mounting bases and let them sink into the door a bit more.

Re. painting - yes have seen the Maranellohouse Ferrari thread and my dad used to paint his Beetles back in the day so all the kit is here for doing it. I think I'll give it a shot maybe at Easter when it's warmer. It's never going to be a concours 911, just a fun weekend blast car.

BarryPort

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Oh meant to say guys, don't forget back in 1989 the number plate fonts were fatter and you can still run them legally.

I had no idea about that. I can't think what they look like but will bare it in mind for next time.

Funny you should have a problem with getting your PYE ones to fit - when replacing the front JBL units I found small packers in each of the 4 corners approx 10mm depth spacing the speakers from the door skin OUT towards the speaker grille/cover. I took them out & the Alpine stuff fitted 100%.

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
My speakers had a rectangular mounting plate with an oval hole which the speaker screwed onto any cone went back into. But the oval needs enlarged to let new speaker go back into door about 1/4". Will fit them some day.

Barry look at your own photo of the number plates you posted on the last page. The 3d plate is actually the older style font. The newer, and current font, is skinnier hence spacing looks bigger and digits look taller.

BarryPort

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
My speakers had a rectangular mounting plate with an oval hole which the speaker screwed onto any cone went back into. But the oval needs enlarged to let new speaker go back into door about 1/4". Will fit them some day.

Barry look at your own photo of the number plates you posted on the last page. The 3d plate is actually the older style font. The newer, and current font, is skinnier hence spacing looks bigger and digits look taller.

Apologies but I'm going to have to call in RMS resident Porsche beard @Woodcutter to adjudicate whether period plates should be worn in current times or not.
Its nothing against you Andy, I just don't feel comfortable advancing through the Cairngorms whenever staunch members of Porsche Club GB could be lying in wait.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Apologies but I'm going to have to call in RMS resident Porsche beard @Woodcutter to adjudicate whether period plates should be worn in current times or not.
Its nothing against you Andy, I just don't feel comfortable advancing through the Cairngorms whenever staunch members of Porsche Club GB could be lying in wait.

I'm not in the PCGB beard club either, check out the font I had, total sacrilege!

IMG_1923.JPG

TalkToFrank

RMS Regular
OP
TalkToFrank
Drives
335i MT Touring
Do you know what it's called?

Looking smashing Barry!

When u getting another woodcutter?

Last edited:

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
I'm not a beard either!!! I'd have metro font plates all day long lol. Just it pointing out really - I dislike the modern skinny letters. Too much space roundthem.

Overall I prefer the "period correct" feel to some extent. Like I put traditional wiper blades on the old cars, not Aero blades. That said I did cut the 944 dash and dropped in a double din stereo and got some negative comments from beards so I guess each to their own.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Overall I prefer the "period correct" feel to some extent. Like I put traditional wiper blades on the old cars, not Aero blades. That said I did cut the 944 dash and dropped in a double din stereo and got some negative comments from beards so I guess each to their own.

My 968 had horrible ill fitting aero blades when I got it, I threw them away and stuck a good set of Valeo blades on that fitted properly!

k20_chunky

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything Boring
This is one of my favourite threads on here at the minute. Great looking cars and I always enjoy the updates.
@BarryPort I dont know were you get the time while working away, Im at home and the other half still maintains she doesnt see me enough lol

TalkToFrank

RMS Regular
OP
TalkToFrank
Drives
335i MT Touring
Well... drove the beaut home 15 miles, once I put the fire out from the pads, I took a wee picture of the front disc.

IMAG2128.jpg

Needless to say, one caliper on the front was seized.

So after beating the clean life out of the pins to let the pads out, and battering the pads out as they were practically welded to the disc, I got to the caliper. The wee boot had a tear in it. I unclipped the retainer, and pulled the boot off. I turned it inside out and this is what I found.

IMAG2134.jpg

I pumped the piston out a bit and gave it a wee clean to see if I'm gonna need a new piston too or if it's saveable.

IMAG2137.jpg

I think it'll clean up OK. What you guys think?

After conferring with woodcutter, I sourced two front caliper repair kits to arrive before 12 on Tuesday for under £20. Thought that was alright! The pass headlight isn't working either so I'm gonna have to problem solve that one. Bulbs fine, connections are good, will need a volt meter on it. Although if I fit the hid kit I only need one side as the wiring only uses one bulb connection for both sides.

Took a wee pic when I needed to pull over to let the brakes cool.

IMAG2129.jpg

BarryPort

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
This is one of my favourite threads on here at the minute. Great looking cars and I always enjoy the updates.
@BarryPort I dont know were you get the time while working away, Im at home and the other half still maintains she doesnt see me enough lol

Haha we tend to do a lot of things together but she knows I need my garage time.
When I come back into the house she gives me some death like: 'Are you going to tell your wee virtual friends what you did today'

I think I have a rubber bung in my desk drawer that fits the hole in the glass when you decide to remove that rear wiper!!

Funny you should say that, there's absolutely no transparent rubber bungs available online in 17mm. Spent hours searching. Then Friday night we spent an evening trying to get a prosecco bottle cork to fit! Still no joy.

20170106_171640.jpg

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Haha we tend to do a lot of things together but she knows I need my garage time.
When I come back into the house she gives me some death like: 'Are you going to tell your wee virtual friends what you did today'

Funny you should say that, there's absolutely no transparent rubber bungs available online in 17mm. Spent hours searching. Then Friday night we spent an evening trying to get a prosecco bottle cork to fit! Still no joy.

View attachment 134125

I get the same grief from my missus! Ha!

As for the bung, I got one from Porsche Shop, it's a two piece thing that screws together on each side of the glass.

BarryPort

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
I get the same grief from my missus! Ha!

As for the bung, I got one from Porsche Shop, it's a two piece thing that screws together on each side of the glass.

I'm going to be pedantic & ask was it clear as in transparent? There's loads of black bungs but I think they stand out too much against the clear glass.

Last edited:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Just get a black bung (y)

A "transparent" one will always be visible anyway, will never be like glass. A black one looks better I think, especially with your car being black as well.

TalkToFrank

RMS Regular
OP
TalkToFrank
Drives
335i MT Touring
Not much in the way of pictures, but today "G" got the calipers sorted, much with Barry's help!
We popped the pistons right out, and cleaned them up. I took 3 photos lol. All before photos because we were on a roll and I never looked near my phone. Lol.

IMAG2144.jpg

IMAG2143.jpg

Plenty of that residue about so we cleaned and cleaned. We built them back up and bled them, now the work as they should. The metal clippy-ring thingy supplied was nowhere near as tight as the originals so I just put the old ones on.

Barry brought the voltmeter with him too and we had the headlight working within about 2 mins!

So tomorrow morning, it's going on the lift for an oil change, clean up the break pipes and a general gander around underneath!