The Two Port Porker 944's

johnm

RMS Regular
After reading this thread a couple of weeks back drunk on a friday night, I got an email from ebay on the monday to say I'd been outbid on a 944....needless to say there was even amounts of relief and sadness lol. No memory of bidding on it.

This one is coming along great.

TalkToFrank

RMS Regular
OP
TalkToFrank
Drives
335i MT Touring
Lol that happened me with a Volvo 240 once... only I won it. Apparently I thought it was hilarious to bid £240 for a 240' lol.

Update - G went on a friends lift. We drained the oil & changed the filter, was like black water. Replaced it with "defender" 10-40 and then added a litre of Lucas oil protective shiznit that I can't remember the exact name of.

Rear brake pipes were cleaned up too. I sent it on in to mot on Wed night just in time for the abs light to come on. Failed on only that. Checked it over this morning to find it was only a fuse, so sent it up again today and it passed!

So there we go, a years ticket on it. Yay!

IMAG2149.jpg

Plan from here on in is for me and Barry to swan about in our 944's, rubbing it in @woodcutters face as much as possible so that he hurries up and buys one again too!

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Awesome news Laurence, congrats, that was a quick turn around considering how the car looked when it landed!

They are super robust wagons!

You feckers are going to torment me until I get another now!

BarryPort

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Looking great mate! Didn't take much to sort out in the end.. a wing, badge panel, bumper, headlight, calliper rebuild kit & a fuse! Plus oil & filters which is standard with most new ventures.
Good straight car to to enjoy.

Last edited:

BarryPort

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Stuck coilovers in the other day. Fronts behaved perfect but rears were different.

Rear shocks were totally gone, the thing must've been riding on the torsion bar, which didn't help the fact the tyres have been catching the newly painted arches.
Rear coilovers fitted, the thing has GAINED height even at the lowest setting.
The coilovers are from a 928 track car so I'm guessing the springs have a high rating.
I'm not overly keen on removing the torsion bar as that puts alot of stress on the rear shock mount. It's a single bolt design.

Might wait until @TalkToFrank reindexes his torsion bar then follow suit!

20170113_122019.jpg

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Is it even possible to lower the back with just coils? I was always under the impression that the only way to lower the back was the torsion bar butchery. @pablo did it when he destroyed that 924S we had, perhaps he can advise?!

Car looks great though on those slots, very cool. Nice pic...

pablo

RMS Moderator
some coilovers use springs as well as the torsion bar from memory. they are more helper springs tho. I seem to recall some potential problem with running the springs and the extra load maybe on the top mounts chassis side.

you'll certainly need to get the torsion bar set to get it sitting right.

Laundrymike

RMS Regular
Drives
T4, S3, Mini
If anyone buys it and doesn't want the steering wheel - please get in touch!

Anyone know what model it is?

s-l300.jpg

RevT

RMS Regular
I saw a red one of these on a FB page for sale the other day, not my thing at all but it looked well in red. I think it was around £2500. If that interests anyone I could maybe try find it again?

TalkToFrank

RMS Regular
OP
TalkToFrank
Drives
335i MT Touring
Awesome news Laurence, congrats, that was a quick turn around considering how the car looked when it landed!

They are super robust wagons!

You feckers are going to torment me until I get another now!
Once I get rid of the Lexus, I'm going to leave this on ur doorstep any time I'm abroad working. I'm for Germany tomorrow actually... maybe leave it round in the morning!