Wanted: bike upto £2.5k

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

big-lew18

RMS Regular
Drives
really well!
Looking for the usual sportsbike spec, gsxr, r6,cbr. Could also be interested in a bandit or hornet but preferably sportsbike. 600cc or 750cc. Could probably stretch the budget for the right bike

Dusty

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda CR-V
I'd sell the daytona 600. You'd have change too.

She's going to the mechanic next week for a once over before the season kicks off, if you're interested drop me a line.

Just had new brake pads and calipers overhauled.
Tyres good
Double bubble screen
Micron
New stator coil and reg rectifier fitted.

Few scrapes which were there when I bought it but not crashed.

soccersmyth

RMS Regular
Drives
F32+RSV1000
Good luck with your search as the used bike market is nuts.

£2000 (ish) will only get you an oul bike or a well run bike.

I've a £5000 budget for a superbike and getting offered nothing after 2008.

Even across the water is nuts

big-lew18

RMS Regular
OP
big-lew18
Drives
really well!
I know I'm not going to get a 3yo s1000rr for that budget. I have a bigger budget but I'm trying to squeeze gear into that too. There is plenty of good bikes out there for £5k. Might be older than 2008 but doesn't mean they're going to turn into custard because they'e 10yo

DriftnSlide

Banned
Drives
S60 D5 SE
I know I'm not going to get a 3yo s1000rr for that budget. I have a bigger budget but I'm trying to squeeze gear into that too. There is plenty of good bikes out there for £5k. Might be older than 2008 but doesn't mean they're going to turn into custard because they'e 10yo

Plenty of good bikes about from early naughties, any of them with a half decent pilot will embarrass a lot of newer bikes out there.

big-lew18

RMS Regular
OP
big-lew18
Drives
really well!
Plenty of good bikes about from early naughties, any of them with a half decent pilot will embarrass a lot of newer bikes out there.

I haven't looked at anything younger than '05. And have missed 3 very good bikes. Due to work Im restricted to when I can view bikes and the good ones don't hang about long.lol

DriftnSlide

Banned
Drives
S60 D5 SE
Come April and May you'll find more bikes for sale in the classifieds. A lot of people hold off selling until the NW200 approaches (the start of the biking season for many).

big-lew18

RMS Regular
OP
big-lew18
Drives
really well!
Come April and May you'll find more bikes for sale in the classifieds. A lot of people hold off selling until the NW200 approaches (the start of the biking season for many).

Then putting the prices up.lol. people seem to be holding onto their 600s. I could get a decent 1000 for my top budget of 3500. But it's not the smartest move for my first bike.lol

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
So much of this... @Scuba Steve got a cracker of an R6 and it's 2001/2 ish yet it'll still outrun a **** pilot on a modern machine. Even the R6/ R1 predecessors the Thundercat/Thunderace still sell well and still go like stink with the right pilot.

I haven't looked at anything younger than '05. And have missed 3 very good bikes. Due to work Im restricted to when I can view bikes and the good ones don't hang about long.lol
Honda CB600F HORNET 600cc

ps: that mileage is genuine

big-lew18

RMS Regular
OP
big-lew18
Drives
really well!
So much of this... @Scuba Steve got a cracker of an R6 and it's 2001/2 ish yet it'll still outrun a **** pilot on a modern machine. Even the R6/ R1 predecessors the Thundercat/Thunderace still sell well and still go like stink with the right pilot.

Honda CB600F HORNET 600cc

ps: that mileage is genuine

Tidy hornet There!! My friend has a thundercat. And although it looks dated sitting beside his brothers 2004 fazer and our other friends 2008 r6 it certainly shows them the road. And sounds like twice the bike

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
Tidy hornet There!! My friend has a thundercat. And although it looks dated sitting beside his brothers 2004 fazer and our other friends 2008 r6 it certainly shows them the road. And sounds like twice the bike
I've owned both ;) Quickly got tiring revving the hole off it to go anywhere, the product of a mildly retuned R6 engine. The Thundercat is more than capable up top but imo friendlier down the rev range. I'd argue slightly more comfortable too

big-lew18

RMS Regular
OP
big-lew18
Drives
really well!
Yeah. Nice bike. I just think they look like a bit of fairing has fell off around the headlight

Dusty

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda CR-V
Then putting the prices up.lol. people seem to be holding onto their 600s. I could get a decent 1000 for my top budget of 3500. But it's not the smartest move for my first bike.lol

Bike prices go silly in April/May and the worst of it is, people still pay them. People also tend to overthink bikes with more than 20k on them, that's not big miles especially on a 10+ year old bike. I've seen fireblades advertised with 60k on them, there are loads of bikes on the mainland which are only a couple of years old and still 20k plus.

You're quite right to not go for a 1000 for your first bike. Be sensible, you might only get one chance if you bin it..........

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
People get too precious about mileage, I'd rather have a bike that gets ridden than a pampered garage princess that gets started once a month for a few minutes.

It's your first bike, ride it then ride it some more - when the ridings done get the spanners out and see what makes it tick. Nothing more satisfying than saving £ by doing work yourself.

Last edited:

Dusty

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda CR-V
People get too precious about mileage, I'd rather have a bike that gets ridden than a pampered garage princess that gets started once a month for a few minutes.

It's your first bike, ride it then ride it some more - when the ridings done get the spanners out and see what makes it tick. Nothing more satisfying than saving £ by doing work yourself.

I'm not a big one for spannering, I'd rather let someone do it who knows what they're about plus I have so little free time i'd rather spend it riding the damned thing when I can. I agree with getting out and riding it though, get out in the rain, the wind, the sun. Everything except the ice or gales, it'll learn ya...... it's all experience. Things you never think about like putting your foot down at a junction only to find gravel and start to slip, how slippy the white lines can get, taking the wrong line through a tighter than expected corner, following a car and not seeing the dead rabbit in the middle of the road, how much road you can cover by properly filtering. You know, all the things your lessons don't cover!!!

I reckon everyone should have a cheapie to start with, learn how to ride then make their next bike the good one when they know what they really want. Some people want a sports bike but after a month realise their wrists don't like it, some people want a big BMW round the world adventure thing then never move further than Newcastle for an ice cream. I can't afford to have a bike for each purpose so whatever I buy has to do it all, and I loved it. Strapping luggage on to a sports bike for a run to Silverstone will be one of the highlights of my life I think. People over there looked at me like I was crazy.

big-lew18

RMS Regular
OP
big-lew18
Drives
really well!
No real hurry. Have looked across the water a bit but nothing that's really appealed to me yet. Of I see something we could maybe work something out cheers scuba!!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.