What Bike..?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

AC

RMS Regular
All being well, I should have the bike license by the end of September, early October so I've been on the lookout for something I can jump on to when I'm finished.

I love the look of the super sports / closed fairing bikes and have been looking at CBR600RR's and GSXR600's but over the last week or so, I've found myself looking at youtube reviews of the Triumph Street Triple R which is an awesome looking bike!

upload_2016-8-29_8-55-14.png

Having only ridden the Suzuki SFV650 Gladius that I've been learning on, I'd be keen to hear from anyone who has ridden some of, or all three of the above that can share their riding experience.

Creaney

RMS Regular
Drives
I've a daytona 675, its not the same, but isn't miles away. I love mine.
it was my first bike and I have no intensions in changing either.

Reactions: AC

Ryan L

RMS Regular
Drives
SV650 minitwin
The Street Triple will be more comfortable to ride compared to a GSXR or CBR and have better visibility by virtue of the riding position. I have a K8 GSXR 600 and although the riding position is more comfortable to that of a cbr600rr as I found I wasn't quite so far over the front wheel on the GSXR, it still causes a few aches and pains on a long journey. The mirrors are fairly useless too meaning you have to make more of an effort with your checks.

Power wise for a first bike I doubt you'd notice much of a difference between the Suzuki and the Honda, all three of the bikes you're looking at will have more than enough power for the road. Compared to the Gladius the power delivery is way more ferocious on a supersport bike, kicking in higher up the rev range in a "holy sh*t!," all of a sudden fashion! My SV was way better as a road bike as the power was much more accessible and the bike was less likely to be doing stupid speeds with a quick twist of the wrist.

If I did a lot of commuting / road riding and less track days I'd probably go for the street triple as it looks comfy!

AC

RMS Regular
OP
AC
Definitely looking for something I can commute with on decent days as well as the odd trip up the coast / Sunday jaunt. It's looking like the Street Triple is looking like the more obvious choice. Now to get the license and go test ride a few. Cheers gents!

andyc1

RMS Member
Street triple is probably the best bike in its class. I had one and wish i still did. Triple engine is awsome and on twisty roads its capable of embarrassing sports bikes. Its the most fun bike I had but it may turn you into a hooligan! You wont regret getting one!

warren

RMS Photographer
Wouldn't be my cup of tea, never been big into the naked bikes unless supermoto......but I don't think I've ever heard a bad word said about the street triple. I'm sure it would be an outstanding bike.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
I'd have a slight hankering for a BMW F800R in this market, but to be honest it would be hard to pass by the Street Triple.

NotKG

Banned
a mate was with me 3 weeks back round france riding a 675, very capable bike, much better than gixer or cbr.
he's talking of selling it, looking a 1000+ bike, i'd sure take a punt at a used machine over new, it's not going to loose much and you pretty much could ride it a year and get your money back.

Debaser

RMS Regular
Drives
Kuga ST-Line X
Street Triple every time

For real roads its the winner hands down

Had a Speed Triple and Tiger 1050 myself, loved them

DriftnSlide

Banned
Drives
S60 D5 SE
Wouldn't be my cup of tea, never been big into the naked bikes unless supermoto......but I don't think I've ever heard a bad word said about the street triple. I'm sure it would be an outstanding bike.

^^^^ What he said,
but always good reports about them, from the first ones hit the market. A cpl of mates have owned them and held on to them for a long time.

Dusty

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda CR-V
Triumph were always more about real world handling than track performance and they've always been very good for our roads. Shame there's only one dealer over here.

They don't have as much second hand appeal as the more mainstream Jap offerings though but they do hold their prices pretty well. Their factory is ace though :laughing:

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
Had a few suzuki SV650s (road and track) and had 3 (yes you read that right) triumph daytona 600s (two road, one track).

If you take the immediate torque of a v-twin and combine it with the top-end RPMs of an inline 4, you'll end up with a speed triple and the best of all worlds and a genuinely very capable all-rounder.

Its just really tough to get the most (or get a good thrill) out of an inline 4 600 out on the roads without pushing it way up into the range. The torque on the triple will put the smile on your face even with a short-shift and while sticking to the speed limits...

And1

RMS Regular
Drives
@88
Triumph were always more about real world handling than track performance and they've always been very good for our roads. Shame there's only one dealer over here.

They don't have as much second hand appeal as the more mainstream Jap offerings though but they do hold their prices pretty well. Their factory is ace though :laughing:
Only one dealer must explain their steady steep-ish price, when I say steep I mean for a first bike for my budget.

I'm attracted toward a Honda cbr, but at what power I haven't a notion

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Only one dealer must explain their steady steep-ish price, when I say steep I mean for a first bike for my budget.
The street triple would be a step above what's usually considered a budget bike. I don't think Triumph make one which fits that category.

NotKG

Banned
new 2009> diversion 600.
xj600n or xj600s Diversion. great cheap bike and a few Hp up on a SV.
seen a 2011 N-model with 4k on it go into hursts for £2k ,, pity it wasn't sold on gumtree for that or a bit higher,
sure as sodd's it didn't go out for anything under 3k

i picked up a 2010 "S-diversion" up for the "right price" haven't put quite 250 mile on the clocks yet, but the 1100 is the main bike.

Ryan L

RMS Regular
Drives
SV650 minitwin
I started on an SV650 too, couldn't say a bad word about it.

Sort out the suspension and you've got a pretty decent track bike too which is why I've held on to mine.

Trumpet over GSXR sounds like a no brainer, food for thought :relieved:

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
Sort out the suspension and you've got a pretty decent track bike too which is why I've held on to mine.

Trumpet over GSXR sounds like a no brainer, food for thought :relieved:

Decent rear shock and a GSXR front end on an SV650 is all it needs. they have quite the cult following in the US!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-09-07 at 21.27.07.png
    Screen Shot 2016-09-07 at 21.27.07.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 104

Ryan L

RMS Regular
Drives
SV650 minitwin
Decent rear shock and a GSXR front end on an SV650 is all it needs. they have quite the cult following in the US!

Nice bike! GSXR fairings?

I've changed to a zx10r rear shock on mine with emulators and firmer springs up front. They look great with the gixxer forks but I wouldn't mind racing mine at some point and I don't think you can run in the minitwin class with that change. Fitted race rear subframe and fireblade seat unit over the weekend. Just got to relocate the battery and fit gsxr front fairing next. Must take a few pics for the forum, might spur me on to get my finger out with the project!

Sorry for the thread hijack btw :laughing:

Dusty

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda CR-V

I'm attracted toward a Honda cbr, but at what power I haven't a notion

You can pick up some good deals from the mainland and they're normally happy to arrange some sort of delivery. Servicing and so on is fairly standard and parts aren't rare or hard to get, no Triumph specific tools required either unlike Ducati, so your chosenbike mechanic could do it.

If you can bide your time and buy towards the end of the year that's the time to buy.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.