What did you do to your motorcycle today?

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
All this chat about MT10s 🙈 would you recommend one?

The only bad thing anyone says about them is they're a sow on petrol. That's not really a problem. The noise alone is reason enough to have one.
Oh aye. Funny I was speaking to a newer MT10 owner about this yesterday.
If you test ride one for 15 minutes you probably won’t like it, takes a while to get into the swing of it.
It’s down on power compared to other nakeds in the class (probably 135-140hp at the wheel), and electronics are basic. Having said that it’s very short geared, sounds good and has a character that other bikes don’t have. Great fun to throw around with sticky tyres. Build quality is excellent, 15k on mine and the previous owner had her all over Europe and there are no furry fasteners or the likes you would see on similar aged KTM Superdukes.
I just put petrol into it and don’t worry about tank range lol but onboard computer shows 39mpg average over the past 3000 miles.
Only issue I’ve had is a leaking o ring on a coolant pipe behind the exhaust headers, common issue on MTs and R1s. Seal is £12 and can be done in an hour leaving exhaust in situ.
IMG_5164.jpeg
IMG_3083.jpeg

Alan_B

RMS Regular
Drives
Whatever
I was actually watching out for the fella on the Tuono to ask about it as I have actually been after one for a while and the PCP is ending on the MT-10! @Alan_B give me a spin (or at least tell me I’m not silly considering one with limited dealer network and historical parts supply issues for Aprilia)!!!
You are hoping I used reason and logic when purchasing? Afraid not. I rented one in LA a few years back and rode up through the gorges in the national park and I’ve never been able to get the noise out of my head since.

They are pretty well made and if you are careful with the year you purchase then they shouldn’t be too much of a headache. You are also talking to the fella that owned a TDV8 L322 for all of 36 hours before it suffered catastrophic electrical failure so I like making life complicated for myself.

Anyways, it’s a ‘19 Tuono v4 Factory, so semi active suspension, Akra, blah blah blah.

Very pleased with it although I’ll be changing the Diablo Rosso Corsa 2s to something that can handle lower temps and rain as they didn’t give me a lot of confidence, and the rear has a plug too. I am sure they are brilliant on a hot day but that’s not always guaranteed, so likely a set of M9rr Metzelers will go on soon.

IMG_5576.jpeg

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
You are hoping I used reason and logic when purchasing? Afraid not. I rented one in LA a few years back and rode up through the gorges in the national park and I’ve never been able to get the noise out of my head since.

They are pretty well made and if you are careful with the year you purchase then they shouldn’t be too much of a headache. You are also talking to the fella that owned a TDV8 L322 for all of 36 hours before it suffered catastrophic electrical failure so I like making life complicated for myself.

Anyways, it’s a ‘19 Tuono v4 Factory, so semi active suspension, Akra, blah blah blah.

Very pleased with it although I’ll be changing the Diablo Rosso Corsa 2s to something that can handle lower temps and rain as they didn’t give me a lot of confidence, and the rear has a plug too. I am sure they are brilliant on a hot day but that’s not always guaranteed, so likely a set of M9rr Metzelers will go on soon.

View attachment 425748
You bought from Andy Hammond! Recognise the picture he put up. It was actually this picture put the notion in my head to ring him last week to see about my options as I bought the MT from him a couple years back.
Suppose it’s like anything these days, there’s no such thing as a ‘bad’ bike anymore even the Chinese stuff.
It’s either a Tuono V4 Factory or a Ducati Streetfighter V4 for the next bike but my budget won’t stretch for a Duke so my minds pretty much made up!

Alan_B

RMS Regular
Drives
Whatever
You bought from Andy Hammond! Recognise the picture he put up. It was actually this picture put the notion in my head to ring him last week to see about my options as I bought the MT from him a couple years back.
Suppose it’s like anything these days, there’s no such thing as a ‘bad’ bike anymore even the Chinese stuff.
It’s either a Tuono V4 Factory or a Ducati Streetfighter V4 for the next bike but my budget won’t stretch for a Duke so my minds pretty much made up!

Once you hear the noise from a Tuono you won’t have any decision to make haha. Looking forward to some decent runs on it, just need the weather now :grinning:

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
Just had the Monster serviced at Hurst. New oil and filter, health check, book stamped and service light turned off. Co.plete rip off for £180 but if I want to keep the value in the bike I'll keep the book stamped.

Also ordered new pads and plan to replace the coolant shortly.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Replaced the cracked and faded instrument cluster base and the rusted headlight/speedo holder, and few rubber grommets and nuts and bolts. When I had the brake handle/reservoir off to feed through the headlight stay, I noticed brake fluid leaking from the reservoir when I had it tilted sideways. I took the wee rectangular cap off thd brake fluid reservoir and there doesn’t appear to be a rubber seal, need to check if there is supposed to be one.

IMG_9115.jpeg
IMG_9114.jpeg
IMG_9110.jpeg
IMG_9109.jpeg
IMG_9102.jpeg
IMG_9101.jpeg
IMG_9096.jpeg

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Missing the diaphragm according to Haynes manual 😳
That’ll explain small amount of fluid leaking round the reservoir (since I bought it)

IMG_9116.jpeg
IMG_9118.png

saxo_man

RMS Regular
@saxo_man

wemoto might have the part with you quicker:

Cheers Nicky. Good shout. Ordered that part and a couple of new bolts for the brake reservoir lid and a new clutch lever that’s lost most of its paint. £2.95 RM first class delivery 🚚

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Cheers Nicky. Good shout. Ordered that part and a couple of new bolts for the brake reservoir lid and a new clutch lever that’s lost most of its paint. £2.95 RM first class delivery 🚚
@Nicky good job, quick delivery, hopefully this will stop the brake fluid weap.
IMG_9203.jpeg

Also did the repair on the exhaust. Jury is out on whether it will last, but the bike is a lot quieter now. The corrosion was worse on the underside.
IMG_9190.jpeg
IMG_9189.jpeg
IMG_9191.jpeg

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Some of those exhaust repair compounds aren’t too bad, especially the 1’s that you can see strands or fibres amongst them as you’re applying it. Hopefully hold up for a while for you anyway.

Does that 2 bolt flange not slide back down the exhaust pipe, away from the neck, or is it all 1 piece?

StephenMcC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
@Nicky good job, quick delivery, hopefully this will stop the brake fluid weap.
View attachment 427339

Also did the repair on the exhaust. Jury is out on whether it will last, but the bike is a lot quieter now. The corrosion was worse on the underside.
View attachment 427340View attachment 427342View attachment 427341

I've a YBR125 that's been patched like this for nearly a decade, held up fine lol

Just got some "Hiflo Filtro" oil/air filters in for servicing the bandit anyone experience with them?

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Some of those exhaust repair compounds aren’t too bad, especially the 1’s that you can see strands or fibres amongst them as you’re applying it. Hopefully hold up for a while for you anyway.

Does that 2 bolt flange not slide back down the exhaust pipe, away from the neck, or is it all 1 piece?
I assumed it was all one piece, it was stuck firm but now you mention it I looked it up and it does slide.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
I've a YBR125 that's been patched like this for nearly a decade, held up fine lol

Just got some "Hiflo Filtro" oil/air filters in for servicing the bandit anyone experience with them?
Used them lots, good filters, one of the big brands.

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
11 years on the original pads and fluid, was very overdue to replace the pads and refresh the fluid. Rear caliper was almost siezed, just was able to blow the piston with a bit of air. All bled and rebuilt and it's better than ever,

20240304_152116.jpg

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Nice, should surely function better now.

Is that a small hand vacuum or a reverse bleeder?

saxo_man

RMS Regular
I fitted the missing diaphragm to the brake fluid reservoir. The leaking brake fluid has destroyed all the paint so it mostly just rubbed off, i cleaned it up and sandpapered the lid to highlight the lettering. Might paint the body black again once I’m happy there is no more leaking.

I just bled it the way I would do a car (with two people), opening the nipple and pressing the brake then tightening it again before I reach the end of the travel of the brake. Is that ok? I have a firm lever now, feels like before and the wheels locking up when I push the bike in the garage.
IMG_8773.jpeg
IMG_9228.jpeg

IMG_9233.jpeg

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
Yes, bleed just like a car. Couple of pumps, keep the level 'closed', crack the bleed nipple and let tge air/fluid out, close the nipple and repeating until all air is out of the system. Bikes are handy enough that you can do it yourself too.

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
Removed the wheel spacers to see how it looks without them. Think I prefer the more standard stance..

Before

IMG_5290.jpeg

After

IMG_5320.jpeg

IMG_5322.jpeg

Also did a bit of arch cleaning & took the opportunity to wax the back of the wheels. Truth be told, there wasn’t much dirt under the arches at all.

IMG_5305.jpeg

IMG_5306.jpeg

IMG_5319.jpeg

IMG_5324.jpeg

Bit of an anticlimax after it all though.. went for a short test run to let the springs settle again and heard scoring from the front.

Bit of head scratching and some googling, the long spacer bolts were doing the rubbing.

Set of standard bolts required!

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Had to double check I was in the right thread with the beaut E46 vert above!

Continuing with tidying up the bike:
New clutch lever
Sanded down mirror arms and lacquered
New rubber covers for mirror bases
New bolts for mirror bases as current ones were chewed up a bit.

Have to remove the tank later and fit a new petrol gauge float/sender as I fried the existing one a few days ago when I reconnected the wiring harness incorrectly (Honda made two wiring harness plugs the same shape and it was 1am).

Learning a lot and understanding how everything works.

Yesterday I was ‘testing’ the front brake after changing the fluid and it locked up on a bit of gravel in the middle of the road. The front wheel slid to one side and I put my foot down to stop me dropping the bike. Have a nice big lump on my calf now thanks to the foot rest 😆

IMG_9255.jpeg
cameraRollTempImage.jpeg
IMG_9261.jpeg
IMG_9262.jpeg
IMG_9260.jpeg
IMG_9226.jpeg