What did you do to your motorcycle today?

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
I've seen that. I think I can work without that though, trying to keep my bike as clean and simple as possible. Forces me to build good habits.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
I've seen that. I think I can work without that though, trying to keep my bike as clean and simple as possible. Forces me to build good habits.
It is the sort of thing thats built into cars now. I had it on one one EVs, which had strong regen braking, and it would put brake lights on automatically. Youd think it would be incorporated into modern bikes, maybe it is?

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
It is the sort of thing thats built into cars now. I had it on one one EVs, which had strong regen braking, and it would put brake lights on automatically. Youd think it would be incorporated into modern bikes, maybe it is?
I can totally see why its needed in EVs where you don't even use the brakes the come to a stop half the time.

Its likely in some modern bikes. But of course my bike is 37 years old. And amazingly came with Abs as stock.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Was only meant to be a service and rebuild of the front calipers, but it snowballed.

So far I have changed oil and filter, refurbished all calipers, coated the rocker cover and crank cover including polishing all bolts, polished and ceramic sealed the wheels, coated the brake disc bells, coated a bunch of bolts and brackets, restored the crank timing cover, coated a bunch of the parts from the front wheel assembly, polished the exhaust, removed the exhaust headers, cleaned and blasted them back to clean metal (the wrap had been making them suffer) and gave them a coat of cerakote. Welded a spring retainer onto the pipe for the merge collector, coated the merge collector, removed the final drive casing for restoration, removed the radiator, flushed it, cleaned it and painted black, overhauled the fan and thats about it so far. Still got the swing arm to remove for repaint and the to replace the rear light with a fresh unit.

It all got a bit out of hand, I just kept seeing things I wasn't happy with.

thumbnail_IMG_0549.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0548_9NYw9jPchLmAsCo4A229P6.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0479.jpg

Looking forward to getting it back together and taking her out for the first ride of the year. Annoying most of the work I've done would go unnoticed as all the parts only needed anything done if you were to have looked really closely. But at least I'll be happier.

IMG_5871.JPG

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Yesterday actually, but close enough… lol

Took delivery of the 21 MT09 SP and set about getting a new front tyre for it as the 1 on it was questionable at best…

Will be interesting to see how the Battlax S22’s fair up as I’m normally a Michelin fan.

IMG_1149.jpeg

D4300B70-238B-4820-B624-A259C23DB0DA.jpeg

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
Yesterday actually, but close enough… lol

Took delivery of the 21 MT09 SP and set about getting a new front tyre for it as the 1 on it was questionable at best…

Will be interesting to see how the Battlax S22’s fair up as I’m normally a Michelin fan.

View attachment 425595

View attachment 425592
I run S22s on the MT10. Incredible grip in the dry ( lose the chicken strips the first time out) but rear squares off quite quickly.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
I run S22s on the MT10. Incredible grip in the dry ( lose the chicken strips the first time out) but rear squares off quite quickly.

Happy enough with what I noticed from them today on what was pretty far from ideal conditions.

Easily held over 100 (kph obviously 👀) around Mount Panther corner on the way to Clough from Dundrum earlier, and I wasn’t even pushing hard. Can’t wait to get to grips with the wee bike and see what it’s got for, other than wanting to lift the wheel up through all the gears… lol

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
Happy enough with what I noticed from them today on what was pretty far from ideal conditions.

Easily held over 100 (kph obviously 👀) around Mount Panther corner on the way to Clough from Dundrum earlier, and I wasn’t even pushing hard. Can’t wait to get to grips with the wee bike and see what it’s got for, other than wanting to lift the wheel up through all the gears… lol
Hang on was that you down at Newcastle today on the 09 SP? Parked up beside an R3 yam? I was a few up from you on the grey MT 10!

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Hang on was that you down at Newcastle today on the 09 SP? Parked up beside an R3 yam? I was a few up from you on the grey MT 10!
It was indeed. The wee R3 belongs to Alana, a friend of mine. This was the maiden voyage on the MT09, so stayed local on familiar roads.

I was admiring your 10, and the blue 1 just down from you, sadly accepting the fact that I don’t have the conviction or self control for a 10… 😂

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
It was indeed. The wee R3 belongs to Alana, a friend of mine. This was the maiden voyage on the MT09, so stayed local on familiar roads.

I was admiring your 10, and the blue 1 just down from you, sadly accepting the fact that I don’t have the conviction or self control for a 10… 😂
Ah brilliant! Aye spoke to the guy with the newer MT-10 for a while myself. Realistically there is probably chuff all in it between the 09 and 10 on the roads, moreso probably just the rider! The Tuono V4 parked at the end of the row has put ideas in my head though…

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Ah brilliant! Aye spoke to the guy with the newer MT-10 for a while myself. Realistically there is probably chuff all in it between the 09 and 10 on the roads, moreso probably just the rider! The Tuono V4 parked at the end of the row has put ideas in my head though…

That’s @Alan_B new ride… It’s a bit horny all right…

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Was that @Alan_B??? Jeez was like an RMS biker meet and we didn’t even know 😩 Thought he had a GS BMW? 🤔

He still has his GS too. We’ll still use them for longer trips or going away on, but the nakeds will be for a bit of fun locally just.

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
He still has his GS too. We’ll still use them for longer trips or going away on, but the nakeds will be for a bit of fun locally just.
I was actually watching out for the fella on the Tuono to ask about it as I have actually been after one for a while and the PCP is ending on the MT-10! @Alan_B give me a spin (or at least tell me I’m not silly considering one with limited dealer network and historical parts supply issues for Aprilia)!!!

saxo_man

RMS Regular
I was out on Friday on the bike and started spluttering and died on a straight stretch of road. Pulled in and noticed the choke lever had moved its self upwards and closed the carburettor. I was able to replicate the problem by revving engine and I watched the choke lever move before my eyes lol I though I was going mad as a few times before the choke was half way up.

I took off the wee metal plate and bent it in a bit and redrilled the holes in it. Now the choke lever does not move by itself and the bike doesn’t randomly die.

IMG_8920.jpeg

However this highlighted something else! I was feeling the chain tension because I had the bike serviced recently and I wanted to feel what it was supposed to be like compared to before, just for reference. Then I noticed the rear sprocket was loose and a nut missing. Is it just a matter of replacing the nut and tightening it up again, do these work loose frequently, is it a safety issue?

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
There shouldn't be a nut missing.
The side to side play looks excessive.
I "think" on that bike there might be a circlip holding the sprocket in tight, or maybe there should be a spacer on the spindle that's missing or worn, I'm not sure. The studs just go into the cush drive. If cush drive was worn you get more play the other way, like radially in a circle.
Most bikes don't have a circlip. The sprocket is just held there with the spacers when you tighten up the spindle.
You should get it checked, or take the wheel out and have a look yourself.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
There shouldn't be a nut missing.
The side to side play looks excessive.
I "think" on that bike there might be a circlip holding the sprocket in tight, or maybe there should be a spacer on the spindle that's missing or worn, I'm not sure. The studs just go into the cush drive. If cush drive was worn you get more play the other way, like radially in a circle.
Most bikes don't have a circlip. The sprocket is just held there with the spacers when you tighten up the spindle.
You should get it checked, or take the wheel out and have a look yourself.
Thanks APIs. The circlip is still there, most movement is in and out from all the nuts being loose and one missing. Shouldn’t work itself loose in 30 miles?

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Thanks APIs. The circlip is still there, most movement is in and out from all the nuts being loose and one missing. Shouldn’t work itself loose in 30 miles?
Nope. The nuts shouldn't get loose, ever.
Sounds to me like whoever serviced it didn't tighten them; not a good advert for a bike mechanic.

Lee

RMS Regular

All this chat about MT10s 🙈 would you recommend one?

The only bad thing anyone says about them is they're a sow on petrol. That's not really a problem. The noise alone is reason enough to have one.