WRC 2016 : All Chat Here

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Reno_LV

RMS Photographer
Drives
Honda S2000
Huge blow to wrc! They are perfect social media wrc promoters and crowds loved them! Hyundai will have to step up now! Sad day!

Cess

RMS Staff
It's nowhere big as Audi pulling out of WEC tbh. That's a huge hole in that series. Plus the VW domination was strangling the life out of the championship as an actual competition. Sad to lose a manufacturer, but if I were to pick one to lose, it would have been VW. They came in, threw the kitchen sink at winning and walked off with a load of titles. Nothing in the rules saying they can't, but they were outspending everybody to do so. They created an arms race that only Hyundai have had the resources to equal in recent years.

The VW period has been as predictable and dull as the former period of Cirtroen domination. WRC needs a budget cap.

That said, I won a WRC plus subscription from them a couple of years ago, so thanks for that lads. Already had one, so gave it away.

Last edited:

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
DMACK tweeted Colin Clark earlier today saying they had 'a couple of seats available next year' be interesting what comes of that.

Toyota could be the real surprise next year. If the car is on the pace a decent driver could win things with it.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Its been like formula one in the last few years, battle of the budgets. :worried:

Sam.

RMS Regular
Silly season well under way now, lots of crazy theories. Like, a Red Bull Rally Team running the Polos (But that'll never happen)

Say what you will about VW, but the sport will miss them.

I wonder what will happen to Skoda's WRC2 program?

Cess

RMS Staff
WRC lost mutiple world champions Lancia and life went on. Ditto Subaru & Mitsubishi. By the time Monte Carlo comes round, the whole VW thing will be a footnote in rallying history.

It's a level playing field next year with four teams with hopefully 12 new cars. It could be the best season since 2003 and boy is it overdue.

Skoda sell competition cars, so even if the WRC2 team goes (and there's no indication it will) that programme is intended to wash it's own face.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
WRC lost mutiple world champions Lancia and life went on. Ditto Subaru & Mitsubishi. By the time Monte Carlo comes round, the whole VW thing will be a footnote in rallying history.

It's a level playing field next year with four teams with hopefully 12 new cars. It could be the best season since 2003 and boy is it overdue.

Skoda sell competition cars, so even if the WRC2 team goes (and there's no indication it will) that programme is intended to wash it's own face.
well said ye aul beard ye !

Sam.

RMS Regular
I agree @Cess, and next year is shaping up to be good. I meant that when VW entered the WRC another manufacturer was sorely needed, and they stumped up money for championship promotion, etc that wasn't coming from anywhere else.

Cess

RMS Staff
Can't argue with that @Sam. I still think the FIA and promotor are failing world rallying. I also don't think the current direction of travel is the right direction to take the sport.

Its like history repeating. When the FIA wanted to reduce costs, even things up and adopt a variant of the then S2000 rules, Subaru objected, campaigned for 1600cc WRC cars and then promptly pulled out.

Cess

RMS Staff
R5 Polo confirmed. WRC programme ends.

Knew there was more to this. WRC at the top level is a money pit with no return. Whereas R5 programmes deliver VFM.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Cue the rumours of who's getting the first R5 Polo in Ireland.

Cess

RMS Staff
Off topic: but the Mirage isn't a proper R5 car as it's not homologated. Mitsubishi had no involvement with the car at all - the engineering and development was initially undertaken by a Scandinavian company, who hoped Mitsubishi would come on board. That company then sold everything to Spencer Sport in Wales who have tried to develop it further. Garry Jennings has been flirting with it because there are no other cars in that category available in RHD.

Volkswagen have kept on their entire motorsport division who were responsible for the Polo R WRC. I think it's fairly safe to assume based on that, plus the success of the Fabia R5 that the Polo R5 will be very good.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Off topic: but the Mirage isn't a proper R5 car as it's not homologated. Mitsubishi had no involvement with the car at all - the engineering and development was initially undertaken by a Scandinavian company, who hoped Mitsubishi would come on board. That company then sold everything to Spencer Sport in Wales who have tried to develop it further. Garry Jennings has been flirting with it because there are no other cars in that category available in RHD.

Volkswagen have kept on their entire motorsport division who were responsible for the Polo R WRC. I think it's fairly safe to assume based on that, plus the success of the Fabia R5 that the Polo R5 will be very good.
Yes mirage not Colt. Didn't realise it had nothing to do with mitsubushi.

There's no doubting the Polo R5 will be brilliant, just a pity we don't get to see there '17 wrc polo.

Wondering will the Moffet brothers sell the Fiesta and buy Polo's :p

Sam.

RMS Regular
Playing devil's advocate, when the R5 class was introduced in 2013, should they have been for WRC instead of WRC2? They're significantly cheaper, don't seem to have much issue selling when running customer programmes, etc.

Although they definitely wouldn't provide the "spectacle" that the FIA want for the 2017 season cars.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Regulations regarding running order have been changed for 2017.

From Monte Carlo the championship leader will be first on the road on the opening day of the event.

For the remaining days it will be in reverse classification order in the same way they did in 2014.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
So basically a bit of a half way house then? Feels like all permutations have already been tried and failed, however they do it somebody will have an advantage. I guess any way is fine as long as it doesn't lead to the tactical nonsense going on for a while where people were deliberately losing time on day two to get optimum start position on the last day . . .

Reactions: DC.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
It's never going to please everyone.

You can be sure either Meeke or Ogier will complain about it at some point next year - if not every event.

It is what it is - get on with it.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.