Wrong street name on parking fine?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
image.jpeg

image.png

Got one yesterday, didnt see any sign but didnt actively look either to be fair.

But, on reading the ticket, it has been issued for Mill street, that is actually the street on up, i was parked on lower mill street, the roads do not run into each other, (one way system through out the town in a 2 loops that merge) im curious if i could fight it, its in ballymena, each road has a sign to clarify the actual street name.

The street in the distance in the pic is mill street. I was parked 50 yards behind the camera on what appears to be lower mill street, street name signs are on each gable end of that intersection

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
Follow the instructions for contesting it and just state you weren't parked on "Mill St." At any time. Worth a try. I can't remember but does it double the fine if you loose an appeal ? If so then I'd just pay it .

pablo

RMS Moderator
if you are pictured parking where you shouldn't then the street name is incidental.

I wouldn't risk it personally as you'll likely have to pay the whole amount and not get the 50% early discount

garyo

RMS Regular
As above, I'd contest it as you've literally nothing to lose. But, I wouldn't hold much hope as they'll have the photographic evidence and I'd think they have small print to cover these sort of 'typos' too.

Just a note on the time period also - I'm 99% sure it freezes once you lodge an appeal, so as long as you're in before the discount period expires, you'll still have a bit of time left to be able to pay the discounted rate after the appeal has been settled.

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
if you are pictured parking where you shouldn't then the street name is incidental.

I wouldn't risk it personally as you'll likely have to pay the whole amount and not get the 50% early discount

But at the same time, I was not on the street that I have been fined for. So the ticket it's self is void.

Reading the ticket I do get another chance at the 14 days 50% discount if I appeal within the first 14 days

Last edited:

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
unless the parking restrictions are different then why be a douche about it? you parked somewhere you shouldn't so don't see why it would drop on a minor technicality.

Getting facts right when punishing/fining someone is not a minor technicality. That's a very serious error whether through stupidity, incompetence or perhaps malicious.

If they cant get the street name right...who's to say any other details they've written down are correct ? There should be zero tolerance in cases like this. If they get any details wrong at all, the ticket should be void. Lets face it, it's hardly a difficult task to get right ?

pablo

RMS Moderator
well there is usually a timestamped photo which will be hard to argue. And the street was lower mill street, not mill street. Not a massive mistake tbf.

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
unless the parking restrictions are different then why be a douche about it? you parked somewhere you shouldn't so don't see why it would drop on a minor technicality.
I get what you mean, but legally the details need to be correct I believe.

So if you got a speeding ticket saying you were caught speeding on a road you know you were not on, but earlier that day you know you done 50 in a 40 on another road. Would you just pay that too ?

pablo

RMS Moderator
no because I wasn't speeding when they said I was. You were illegally parked when they said you were, they just part of the street name off. very different.

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
well there is usually a timestamped photo which will be hard to argue. And the street was lower mill street, not mill street. Not a massive mistake tbf.
With luck there is a photo, as that backs up the wrong details. They can't then change the ticket,

Bit like years ago I got a ticket from psni for number plates but they put the wrong date on it, it got dropped. No one was arguing the plates were not to spec, but the duty sergeant sorted it as his officers couldn even tell what day it was.

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
Ye if it costs nothing I might as well. Just wondered what the opinion was

@Blackie you used to be a traffic officer did you not? Any opinion ? Or @avo5021

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
With luck there is a photo, as that backs up the wrong details. They can't then change the ticket,

Bit like years ago I got a ticket from psni for number plates but they put the wrong date on it, it got dropped. No one was arguing the plates were not to spec, but the duty sergeant sorted it as his officers couldn even tell what day it was.

Exactly, any ticket etc will have to accurately state the details, offence etc. If it's wrong it's just nonsense.

If the staff are not capable of doing basic things like writing things down accurately, sack them !

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
Don't think they can do that. The ticket needs to be put on your vehicle at the time of offence to be active.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Don't think they can do that. The ticket needs to be put on your vehicle at the time of offence to be active.

Think the last time I got a ticket I just checked the signs when I came back to the car, shouted briefly after I realised I was stupid and paid the fine the last day before it was due. Totally different if you weren't actually parked wrong in my view

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
He was standing there literally only put it on the car too. Didn't say a word to him

I'm not trying to avoid paying it for the money. I just like to try get out of things when the chance presents its self, it's not the end of the world money ways.

garyo

RMS Regular
Can you not see the pictures online? Last one I got I was able to go online with my reference number and he had about 5 or 6 photos uploaded.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
@Eager i was indeed and I was based in Ballymena. As far as I can remember we simply used mill street to cover all of it.

I understand your point and to my knowledge no one had challenged any tickets issued along there.

Although google maps show it to be mill street up to the point you show I believe the Lower Mill street is actually from Linenhall street to Albert Place. Then from Albert place to the junction at Wellington Street and across to the junction with Church Street/Bridge Street is all Mill Street.

It costs nothing to appeal and if you get the appeal in within the first 14days then if your are unlucky with the appeal you will still only be charged the £45.

Be sure to put in as much detail as possible, like you have in this post. I'm not sure from your post where exactly you were parked, but the photos of where your car was parked will be online on the Transport NI/NSL website. The traffic attendant will have pictures the nearest Timeplates as well if they did their job right.

From memory that street is pretty well signed as far as the Timeplates are concerned and again from memory it's a 30min wait with no return in 2hrs.

Best of luck to you in your appeal!

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
Cheers for the reply @Blackie
I would have been parked about 20 yards down from dougiesgoodies if you know it :grinning: roughly anyway.

jimcupra

RMS Regular
@Eager Appeal it those Hitler's gave some of our boys tickets and put mill street instead of lower mill street. They all won the appeal.
Lower mill street runs from the Masonic club to the junction with Wellington street, mill street comes from bridge street to the same junction at Wellington street.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Cheers for the reply @Blackie
I would have been parked about 20 yards down from dougiesgoodies if you know it :grinning: roughly anyway.
I know dougies goodies too well! Over the year and a half I did the job my wife couldn't understand how I put on over a stone in weight despite all the walking the job entails - all dougies fault!! Lol

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Oh and where your talking about where you were parked is near the Ballymena base! Which incidentally is addressed Lower Mill Street I believe so yea maybe @jimcupra and you are correct!

If you do win be sure to update the thread and let us know!

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
I know dougies goodies too well! Over the year and a half I did the job my wife couldn't understand how I put on over a stone in weight despite all the walking the job entails - all dougies fault!! Lol

Owl dougie has a lot to answer for, his delightful offerings make there way all to Antrim even lol

@jimcupra what way should I word the appeal ? Just deny I was on mill street ? Or tell them the ticket is wrong and I was actually on lower mill street? Cheers :grinning:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.