318 Family Spec (only Worth A Read If Your Really Bored)

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

j44nty

RMS Regular
OP
j44nty
Got the rear built up again ready for arch rolling. Just as well I had 2 new rear top mounts the old ones fell to dust coming off. I butchered and kept the rubber mounting pads for the rear coils as I noticed them knocking in a friends e46 without them. Greased them up and in now. I have no idea how low it will sit so I left it low and will raise it from there. Im not into cars being too low but it's a double edged sword as style 32's are my favorite wheel and they look terrible with arch gap so I have little choice.
20160317_161034.jpg
20160317_172927.jpg
20160317_172449.jpg

Reactions: dub

j44nty

RMS Regular
OP
j44nty
Got a lot done today.
Built up the front coils. Had no idea what height to set them so they are about an inch to high at the front. Rear ended up ok.
Put it all back in and dropped the car off stands.
No pics yet as lots of adjustments needed to set the height just right.
Tomorrow I intend to take the grinder to the rear arches. Was gonna roll them but based on the fact the car is held together by rust I'm not gonna risk breaking them through so they are being grinded out. Also gonna grind the rear bumper mount off. Good old trusty cable ties will be used to replace these but won't be seen.
The offside jacking mount had been soft for a while and today it give up but that will spur me on to start a new e46 project this summer as I fancy a 330 touring. My dream car is a pre face lift fern green 330se touring (yes that makes me very strange) This one can be dismantled and stored in my ever growing e46 parts department which will now have 3 full cars in.

A taste of things to come
20160320_182730.jpg

All those years of banging speed ramps has taken its toll
20160320_180513.jpg

j44nty

RMS Regular
OP
j44nty
Front down to the bottom of the coils and still need to grind out the rear arches. Took it down to the garage to sort out tyre pressures and I really need to crack out the grinder tomorrow as I have lots of ungodly noises coming from the rear.
20160321_104034.jpg

20160321_104002.jpg
20160321_103945.jpg

Considering all mods, servicing and parts this thing has still cost me less than 1500 quid in over 4 years and that includes the car itself. It's purpose is simply to have something to get me to work and home as he jeep does everything else we need to do so I am more than happy with it.

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
Love it! Looked on the way past tonight to see how it was looking and was very impressed!

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
Totally agree, it's a disgrace! Would hate to be driving anything lowered up it. Was never designed to take the number of lorries that are up and down it now.

j44nty

RMS Regular
OP
j44nty
That's it finished. Sealed up all the grinded metal. Took it a spin up the road and it is 100% no rattles clunk's or bangs. Arches don't catch at all either. Rear adjusted down a fraction to level the whole thing out. I am bidding on amber indicators and repeaters as the smoked ones I just don't like anymore as I would rather it looked it's age a little more. Don't know if amber taillights is a step too far but we will see. Will try and snap some pics in future that don't include that furry stalker that is my dog or kids and toys.
20160322_152851.jpg

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
When I did the repair on the rear drivers arch on my car I took the wee lip off as well. All it seemed to do was catch more dirt thus speeding up the rotting process :sob:

dub

RMS Regular
Drives
Aero Wagon
Glad it's all fixed up & sorted. Your DIY ability is far far greater than mine!

j44nty

RMS Regular
OP
j44nty
Glad it's all fixed up & sorted. Your DIY ability is far far greater than mine!
Honestly the car looks good from 10 yards away but no closer trust me the front is so covered in road rash it's nearly white up close. rust has started to discolour through the passenger wing again but I don't care as I leave the car everywhere and don't worry much about car park dings. For an 18 year old beater that has never spent a night in a garage and gets no respect other than a seasonal clean up it does what it needs to do perfectly. To be totally honest and take the shine off remember I have pulled all lights from the dash fixed a vacum pipe with garden hose and an inlet air leak with box tape but hey still passed mot so everybody's a winner.

Reactions: dub

j44nty

RMS Regular
OP
j44nty
Back to the old school. Amber lights all round are on their way. Next up will be to fitting a double din relocating heater controls and working on my nexus 7 dash project. I can also look into building a 12" back into the boot as I no longer need to carry a buggy. My wife really does put up with a lot as i am such a man child.

j44nty

RMS Regular
OP
j44nty
Looking into it the nexus 7 project should be a goer but I fancy the idea of keeping a head unit built into the glove box and running the nexus in dash from the auxiliary as this gets around the audio out and amp issues that are common. Anyone else done this install
@Cartunes any advice bud.

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
Looking into it the nexus 7 project should be a goer but I fancy the idea of keeping a head unit built into the glove box and running the nexus in dash from the auxiliary as this gets around the audio out and amp issues that are common. Anyone else done this install
@Cartunes any advice bud.

Good Luck! :p
I've looked at using a tablet as the main multimedia control - but not yet needed to as the audio from my Pioneer Double Din 7" is top notch. @pablo did something similar in his 996 recently and might be able to point you in the right direction.

EDIT: I've watched the video and see little wrong with what was done to the car - I'd be more particular with cable quality and cable routing, securing etc........ his will rattle around and risk squeak and rattle. Head unit in the glovebox and microphone in a sensible position and bob's yer uncle.

Last edited:

j44nty

RMS Regular
OP
j44nty
Good Luck! :p
I've looked at using a tablet as the main multimedia control - but not yet needed to as the audio from my Pioneer Double Din 7" is top notch. @pablo did something similar in his 996 recently and might be able to point you in the right direction.

EDIT: I've watched the video and see little wrong with what was done to the car - I'd be more particular with cable quality and cable routing, securing etc........ his will rattle around and risk squeak and rattle. Head unit in the glovebox and microphone in a sensible position and bob's yer uncle.
Cheers always good to have a professional opinion think I will give it a rattle

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.