318 Family Spec (only Worth A Read If Your Really Bored)

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
Cheers always good to have a professional opinion think I will give it a rattle
That's the spirit! What's the worst that could happen?
logo(290).JPG

Gaza_r

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus TDCI
Looks great.

Been keeping my eye out for another E46 Derv.

But usual story, I find one that looks good, then check the stated mileage against MOT history...

Attachments

• 11bl43.jpg
    11bl43.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 87

j44nty

RMS Regular
OP
j44nty
Looks great.

Been keeping my eye out for another E46 Derv.

But usual story, I find one that looks good, then check the stated mileage against MOT history...

Can admin delet the derv related comment from my thread please.

Only jesting bud. In the 20 years ive been driving i have never owned a diesel but from what i have learned on the internet between swirl flaps and pre cat filters your life will be misery. Automatic low miler big petrol engined English cars is where the unabused unicorns exist.

j44nty

RMS Regular
OP
j44nty
Thought I would update this for my own amusement as I intend to replace it this summer. I will most likely end up in another bmw as I have gathered up a stupid amount of parts over the years and I never seem to sell anything.
I did look at at e90 v8 m3 saloon in red when I went to visit my sister in Swindon (and an rs focus but enough said about that) and as much as I could have brought it home and could easily have done so it is just a fast space ship to me and could picture myself fixing things with cable ties and generally cursing at all the fancy electronics my simple life does not need and found personally it was lacking character. Have the money sitting for something new I just can't decide what. I also like e46 m3's and high teens would lift me a good example but 3drs is not something I can be bothered with having a family and my days of needing a fast car in my life dosent appeal to me any more. Chances are I will try and source an e46 330i in green, black or red and wont mind if it turns out to be a touring or saloon. but I will leave that search until the summer.

Getting side tracked from the topic here:
I'm going start to update the jeep a little. It will be getting a 2" lift 30mm spacers tyres that are too large and finishing the wheels black as my wife in her words says "I want it more aggressive looking" part of the reason I married her. All those years ago watching her try and circle a cone in my twincam I fell in love and 18 years later she still says statements like the above which is awesome.

So back to the labour of love. I think style 32's (and style 5's) are the best bmw wheel every made but also only having a lob on for e46's leaves me with a delima. I do not like stretched tyres but have to put up with them to run such a low offset, width and height. It has to sit low as 18"s just don't sit right with arch gap. Saloons have 10mm narrow rear archs than coupes and you will find 18" 32'style on many coupes throughout the Internet but nearly all Saloons sit on 17" versions hence I had to grind out my rear arches
Had time on my hands on Saturday so spent 4 hours with the rotary sorting out a few niggles that annoyed me finishing up with fusso soft 99 being applied.
Random pics gathered up and a short video showing the fusso water dispersal.
I also changed the depo indicators for standard ambers.
Next up will be amber rear units.
I have a ridiculous pea shooter powerflow exhaust on this and this is because my standard item was hanging to pieces before mot and one of my childhood friends runs his own powerflow franchise (ah auto services in antrim) he threw this thing on for me for free. I am calling in with him on Thursday as he has a standard item lying around he is gonna put on and can't wait to get rid of the God awful drone.
20160402_151040.jpg
20160402_151109.jpg
20160402_151137.jpg
20160412_144807.jpg
20160412_150337.jpg

My diy sprayed wing got a good cut and compound and still looks grand (from a small distance lol)
20160412_150458.jpg

And the fusso wax is great stuff.

I actually have grown to quite like how the rear wheels which are ridiculously wide stick out from the rear and the offending pea shooter soon for the chop.
20160412_150409.jpg

Cheers
Johnty

pablo

RMS Moderator
Looking into it the nexus 7 project should be a goer but I fancy the idea of keeping a head unit built into the glove box and running the nexus in dash from the auxiliary as this gets around the audio out and amp issues that are common. Anyone else done this install
@Cartunes any advice bud.

I done it in my 911. pretty handy. hardest part is the power supply really

colin84

RMS Regular
Thought I would update this for my own amusement as I intend to replace it this summer. I will most likely end up in another bmw as I have gathered up a stupid amount of parts over the years and I never seem to sell anything.
I did look at at e90 v8 m3 saloon in red when I went to visit my sister in Swindon (and an rs focus but enough said about that) and as much as I could have brought it home and could easily have done so it is just a fast space ship to me and could picture myself fixing things with cable ties and generally cursing at all the fancy electronics my simple life does not need and found personally it was lacking character. Have the money sitting for something new I just can't decide what. I also like e46 m3's and high teens would lift me a good example but 3drs is not something I can be bothered with having a family and my days of needing a fast car in my life dosent appeal to me any more. Chances are I will try and source an e46 330i in green, black or red and wont mind if it turns out to be a touring or saloon. but I will leave that search until the summer.

Getting side tracked from the topic here:
I'm going start to update the jeep a little. It will be getting a 2" lift 30mm spacers tyres that are too large and finishing the wheels black as my wife in her words says "I want it more aggressive looking" part of the reason I married her. All those years ago watching her try and circle a cone in my twincam I fell in love and 18 years later she still says statements like the above which is awesome.

So back to the labour of love. I think style 32's (and style 5's) are the best bmw wheel every made but also only having a lob on for e46's leaves me with a delima. I do not like stretched tyres but have to put up with them to run such a low offset, width and height. It has to sit low as 18"s just don't sit right with arch gap. Saloons have 10mm narrow rear archs than coupes and you will find 18" 32'style on many coupes throughout the Internet but nearly all Saloons sit on 17" versions hence I had to grind out my rear arches
Had time on my hands on Saturday so spent 4 hours with the rotary sorting out a few niggles that annoyed me finishing up with fusso soft 99 being applied.
Random pics gathered up and a short video showing the fusso water dispersal.
I also changed the depo indicators for standard ambers.
Next up will be amber rear units.
I have a ridiculous pea shooter powerflow exhaust on this and this is because my standard item was hanging to pieces before mot and one of my childhood friends runs his own powerflow franchise (ah auto services in antrim) he threw this thing on for me for free. I am calling in with him on Thursday as he has a standard item lying around he is gonna put on and can't wait to get rid of the God awful drone.
View attachment 111144 View attachment 111145 View attachment 111146 View attachment 111147 View attachment 111148

My diy sprayed wing got a good cut and compound and still looks grand (from a small distance lol)
View attachment 111149

And the fusso wax is great stuff.

I actually have grown to quite like how the rear wheels which are ridiculously wide stick out from the rear and the offending pea shooter soon for the chop.
View attachment 111150

Cheers
Johnty

Sounds like you need an e39 M5 Johnty :laughing:

j44nty

RMS Regular
OP
j44nty
Sourced Some 98 spec rear lenses for the mighty price of 99p. I must really be the only weirdo in the UK that wants these oddities.
20160416_150842.jpg

No chips or cracks which was great but lots of fine scratches over the years so I took to them this afternoon:
800 grit wet and dry with plenty of soapy water rubbed them left to right for a good 5 mins until I had removed enough plastic to be satisfied.
2500 grit wet and dry same as before these left the lenses cloudy but smooth.
Stiff foam pad in the rotary and g3 cutting paste. Finished off at high speed to really get the cut.
Yellow pad and some megs 105 and 205.
Finished with fusso.
This really did leave them as new.
Won't be to most taste and a little odd for me too as I feel mods have went full circle as I have mostly owned cars made in the 80's or 90's I have always put clear or smoked lenses on them. Now it seems that with new cars losing amber lenses they have become a mark of something a lot older hence better in my book so here I am going against my own grains. I am not even convinced myself as I set the clear ones back in my shed I thought naa that was a silly idea but they are staying amber.
20160417_165859.jpg
20160417_170839.jpg
20160417_170921.jpg

I would like to say I will leave it at that but I just can't live with a white reverse light on the boot lid so I ordered red tint fIlm for it but if it's chavtastic it will be left as is.

Last edited:

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
I think if you coloured the reverse lights red it would work better. Love this thing, can't beat an old nail and that really does look good on the move :grinning:

Dan.86

RMS Regular
Took up the invite of reading this while very bored. Glad I did, love the cheap and cheerful upgrades. Definitely satisfying working on your own motor

j44nty

RMS Regular
OP
j44nty
:oops: the clear ones look quite good imo.
I agree with you some days and others I like the amber. The e46 prefacelift only came with amber indicators on some basic models and only for a year so they are actually quite rare as most come with clears which you can see on my first post page 1.
It's ridiculous too as I have 3 sets of clears 1 set of depo's and these. My hoarding has to stop. So I suppose the older it looks the more I like it.

The big question do I put chrome kidneys back on the front or leave them black.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
I would be tempeted to try the chrome grilles now it isn't as murdered out. I love it, its looking great!

CHARLIE11

RMS Regular
Drives
like a nutta
The big question do I put chrome kidneys back on the front or leave them black....

LEAVE.THEM.BLACK

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.