RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D

Deleted member 13907

D
Do you know if its a V1 or V2 Wonka?

Are all the products really as good as each other; Meguiars, Poor Boys etc or are there ones to avoid?
I could be wrong, but I think it's the V2 (it never had any issues with overheating, which I believe was the main difference between 1&2).
I can check when I get home.

Deleted member 13907

D
Polishes, etc. can be a bit of a minefield. Different products do slightly different things - with compounds at one end of the scale, to refining polishes, glazes, etc. at the other end. To make things more confusing, you often need to look at an entire system as such, to ensure that the products work well with each other.
It's a good while since I've looked into any of the products, so I'm probably a bit out of touch. DetailingWorld is (or was) a great source of information.
I used to use a lot of Meguiars kit, but that was mostly just because back then I was able to get it handy (even the trade products, which a lot of places never kept in stock).

euge07

RMS Regular
Drives
c220 cdi sport
Thanks for that.

Not ready just yet though, going to get Mrs Lyons to get me it for my birthday next month so am just doing some homework.

What polish do you use?

Edit- I see that includes a cut and finish, do you need a wax too?

I don't have that particular polisher any more, I started out with it but have since moved to the rupes range and have 2 of those.

I use polishes from rupes, scholl & sonax with different pads and types of pads, I didn't believe when I first got into it that you would need so many different types lol.

but for general clean up of the paint you will be fine with that range and add as you go along.

Yes once you have finished your polishing stages you would seal in your hard work with your sealant or wax of your choice

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Wax by hand, although I'm would apply a sealant, they are so far ahead in terms of its protection

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
I have the das6 and use the hex logic pads. All from procar. You could get massively caught up in it all but in reality 2 pads and 2 compounds are plenty for your basic type of detailing. Think the compounds are cartec and a few years old now probably need replacing

The whole game is fairly overkill and the latest greatest product is just clever marketing to get money out of boys wallets, until the next big name pops up
Remember at a point a bucket wash and some super resin whacked on with slick of the tires was the standard

For a car that gets out 6 times a year on nice days yes it would be worth the extra effort but a daily driven car it’s not worth the full effort that some describe above. IMO

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Wax by hand, although I'm would apply a sealant, they are so far ahead in terms of its protection

Thanks Pete. Sealant instead of wax? Are they by hand too? What product would you recommend for that?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
I have the das6 and use the hex logic pads. All from procar. You could get massively caught up in it all but in reality 2 pads and 2 compounds are plenty for your basic type of detailing. Think the compounds are cartec and a few years old now probably need replacing

The whole game is fairly overkill and the latest greatest product is just clever marketing to get money out of boys wallets, until the next big name pops up
Remember at a point a bucket wash and some super resin whacked on with slick of the tires was the standard

2 compounds as in 2 different degrees of “roughness”?

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Yeo
2 compounds as in 2 different degrees of “roughness”?
yes man. First is a bit course that would lift any defects, again I’ve never tried for full correction but it will lift a lot of surface issues, then a finishing compound that will put a bit of shine back into the paint and slick look. Then seal it up

To add, if you want to give it a bash, I can happily lend you my das6 and pads and compounds, I haven’t used them in ages and it will let you see the time and effort required, it’s not just a Saturday afternoon job and I gather your a family man from your posts so polishing a car for 2 days might get you a strong look from the wife... lol

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos

For a car that gets out 6 times a year on nice days yes it would be worth the extra effort but a daily driven car it’s not worth the full effort that some describe above. IMO

Lmao what a load of nonsense. It's advancement in technology. Much like anything from TV's to cars themselves. Things progress and car care has progressed massively in the last couple of years.

I'm beginning to feel like @weeloaney in the tread about the rs6 saloon lol

@Lyons for a sealant it's hard to beat Gtechniq Liquid Crystal, you use it like a quick detailer. It's a great home users product

euge07

RMS Regular
Drives
c220 cdi sport
Lmao what a load of nonsense. It's advancement in technology. Much like anything from TV's to cars themselves. Things progress and car care has progressed massively in the last couple of years.

@Lyons for a sealant it's hard to beat Gtechniq Liquid Crystal, you use it like a quick detailer. It's a great home users product

Have to agree here, I was skeptical and had similar view to @Eager when I got my first polisher, then you soon realise why there is so many different polishes/compounds & pad variations on the market, one polish will not work on all paint, not by a long shot,
You can however use a one step polish for eg sonax 04-06 or scholl s20 black which will enhance paint but wont correct it fully

gtechniq c2v3 works well and its pretty cost effective

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom

At your level pete yes of course. But for basic day to day car maintenance there is no issue with older products
15 years ago you walk around a car show, did you say ‘look at the state of that’
Of course there is new technology but my point is unless it’s a show car, there is zero need to keep up with the latest and greatest

That’s why I said to not get caught up in it, all that does is waste money for your average guy that wants to have his car looking presentable and maintained.

bigsigh

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
DAS-6 PRO - Meguiars #105 #205 & Chemical Guys Hex Logic Kit - Clean Your Car

good wee starter pack for someone there.

dw05 is their discount code- not sure if it works for machines but worth a try (y)

Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 12.43.44.png

the discount code does seem to work (y)

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Yes but if your at the point of wanting to purchase something why would you purchase old tech was my point.

rupertfinch

RMS Regular
100ml of liquid crystal was a lot less than I expected. Genuinely a better option now than a good old wax?

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
I have my old orbital polishing machine which I no longer use. 110v unit so would need a transformer. If anyone is interested, let me know and I can post details later

MarkM

RMS Regular
Going to sound silly.... is that C2v3?

I’ve only used it on my wheels, it’s worked really well, the rest of the car is getting drowned in it today lol

I’m still using my 14 year old 110v Porter cable, I’d love to try a newer machine to see the difference