Polisher Buying Guide?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
I see there’s millions of microfibre cloths to chose from too. Do you need to be fussy or would the “own brand” ones of the detailing retailers’ be grand? I assume you need 1 for after each stage?

Deleted member 13907

D
I see there’s millions of microfibre cloths to chose from too. Do you need to be fussy or would the “own brand” ones of the detailing retailers’ be grand? I assume you need 1 for after each stage?

It's a while since I've bought any, but I generally did find a difference to an extent.
I would have used the Meguiars ones quite a bit - I found them softer than some of the cheaper alternatives and they seemed to be able to pick up the residue easier.
As you say, one for each stage (strictly speaking) but if its a big microfibre, I would just keep turning it to a clean portion if possible.
Kent do a pack of 6 cloths - I generally wouldn't have used them on paintwork, but they were fine for interior, wheels, etc.
They're just a bit smaller and harder.

Mark@PD

RMS Regular
Drives
S1 Elise
As well as C2v3 try wetcoat and cure by Gyeon as an alternative, both are very good at what they do and will give you a couple of months protection.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
The wife has already ordered the Liquid Crystal I believe.

Multi-purpose polishing microfibre cloths and buffing microfibre cloths- is there really a difference for the likes of me?

And are a fallout remover and tar remover both necessary stages in advance of a machine polish?

Last edited:

Gobsheene

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini&Corolla
RE a DA Polisher.

I bought a KingBarney on the strength of the name being mildly hilarious. (And a few posts on detailing world to say they weren't bad!)

For a hobbyist its not a bad tool, wasn't too dear at £130 with a pile of pads and stuff.

Edit: They're only £100 now!
EXZENTER ROTIERENDE EXZENTRISCHE Profi Poliermaschine, Polierer Set 2, 710Watt | eBay
(Those pads are hard as hell too, probably best stuck to the garage wall to stop you dinging the door when you get out)

Still find a rotary buffer to be faster, but i'm no professional :grinning:

Gibbo

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
I use the Kirkland microfibres for most paint types 36 pack for usually around £20.

Microfibre Madness yellow fellows are class but come in at £7/8 each. Also using Gyeon Polish wipe and it’s really nice to use.

There’s a another brand doing the rounds at the moment called Klin and seem to be excellent.

DAS6 pro would be hard to beat for starters.

-Pete-

RMS Regular
There's more than one way to skin a cat but you like to know you have a good set of knives to do it!
That's what this sort of thing can be equated to in my opinion, a bit like golf. Everyone's trying to get the lowest amount of strokes, but just use different ball and club combos to do it but the end result can be effectively the same, to a greater extent.

Also a big level of diminishing returns comes into it. For the home gamer, that final 10%, heck even 25% wont even be noticed or known how to be achieved with using a better pad/polish/machine. Like said already, if a shinier car is your goal, then no problem.

for sure there's a discernible and measurable difference to the pro or well experienced user.
I remember when I got into it, everyone was turning away from rotary's of old and it was all about the porter cable DA. I ended up buying one and the makita rotary (I still have and use the makita, sold the porter cable) and its still a great machine.

Even like power tools in general (or even mobile phones) they haven't been able to make the same big leaps forward in the hardware in more recent years and more improvements can be made in the coatings themselves and the pads (from what I understand - I'm long out of the game, not that I was ever IN the game :laughing: )

I'm still rocking my makita rotary with 3m backing pads and menzerna polishes with midnight sun wax! :laughing: outoftouch.com :laughing:

hippyross

RMS Regular
The wife has already ordered the Liquid Crystal I believe.

Multi-purpose polishing microfibre cloths and buffing microfibre cloths- is there really a difference for the likes of me?

And are a fallout remover and tar remover both necessary stages in advance of a machine polish?

If you don't remove the tar and fallout you'll be lifting it out of the paint with the pad and rubbing it round the panel.
If you not being too anal I'd just tar and glue it and then if you want to go all out clay bar it before hand to remove any embedded particles.

mark19

RMS Regular
Drives
golf
Screwfix did a huge pile of microfibres for cheap !

Seem to do the job anytime I use them

Eamo_vxr

RMS Regular
Drives
Slow and low!
Kirkland 32 pack is unbeatable value. Totally safe for paintwork. Some of the top detailers in the uk use them.
I’m not a big fan of the really plush expensive microfibres for residue removal as I find they don’t have the “bite” needed.

Modmedia

RMS Regular
Drives
Tesla M3P
Not going to lie, I didn't read the thread other than the first post and the question asked. But a DAS 6 Pro and Megs Microfibre kit... anyone can use it and a lot of the "Pros" use it too :grinning: Requires reading the instructions on the back of the two bottles and that's it. Nothing to it.

Oh and some twin halogen lights on a pole to show up what you're working on is always useful.

Eamo_vxr

RMS Regular
Drives
Slow and low!
This is megs 105/205 with orange/white hex pads.

6A29F80D-449B-4193-AFAD-F67CD87890ED.jpeg

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Brilliant. I'm assuming youtube will have guides for a beginner to follow, depending when Pete has his next demo day.