Sprint racing in N.I.?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

PhilM

RMS Regular
I’d want something that a novice can work on too....ie no computers needed etc

Get something that doesn’t need worked on full stop lol

Any reason you wouldn’t use the Impreza? Usually cheapest to use what you have

Phil

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
But honestly turn up with the basics and you will be warmly recieved, always happy to see new competitors. What’s the details on the car?

Audi S3
2.0TFSI 4WD DSG
400bhp

What would that put me against?

I just want to turn up, lights go green, launch, finish at the quarter mile ending or what ever the set up is

No interest in tracking the car

Thanks for the info

Last edited:

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
Get something that doesn’t need worked on full stop lol

Any reason you wouldn’t use the Impreza? Usually cheapest to use what you have

Phil
I hadn’t actually thought about that, suppose they’re made for it though! With mine being modified where would that put me? Would it need harnesses etc?

Marc

RMS Moderator
Audi S3
2.0TFSI 4WD DSG
400bhp

I just want to turn up, lights go green, launch, finish at the quarter mile ending or what ever the set up is

Thanks for the info

Sprints are usually timed sections of closed roads, and I think they are run by MSA which means you need your licence and the car to MSA approved spec. Caged, approved helmet, hans devices etc.

I would dread putting my daily driver in a sprint course, much easier for bad damage if you have an “off”

Maybe likes if bishops court 1/4 mile is what your looking?

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
@Marc yeah quarter mile stuff - I just want to see how the car performs that's all, in a straight line

No regs
No safety equipment (bar helmet if needs be)
No licence or fees

Just turn up, pay an access/race fee for the day and enjoy the experience

PhilM

RMS Regular
Audi S3
2.0TFSI 4WD DSG
400bhp

Thanks for the info

That would put you in class 3 (4wd roadgoing) no requirement for fixed back seats or harnesses. And with 400hp I’m sure you would do well.

And yes sprints are ideal for that sort of gig, only about 1/2minutes long and nothing to strenuous on the car.

Phil

PhilM

RMS Regular
I hadn’t actually thought about that, suppose they’re made for it though! With mine being modified where would that put me? Would it need harnesses etc?

Class 3 as above unless you’ve done something drastic it’ll still fit roadgoing rather than modified.

Phil

PhilM

RMS Regular
Sprints are usually timed sections of closed roads, and I think they are run by MSA which means you need your licence and the car to MSA approved spec. Caged, approved helmet, hans devices etc.

I would dread putting my daily driver in a sprint course, much easier for bad damage if you have an “off”

Maybe likes if bishops court 1/4 mile is what your looking?

You are thinking of hillclimbs I believe and yes I’d avoid those to begin with, but they are more fun and don’t require you to drive any harder than some people do without the rosd being closed lol so it’s no maniacs only game.

But yeah sprints are based on circuits and usually involve - launch from standing start - few straights few corners and flying finish. Great crack and lovely smooth tarmac

Phil

PhilM

RMS Regular
@Marc -you are thinking of hillclimbs Not sprints and yes I’d avoid those to begin with, but they are more fun and don’t require you to drive any harder than some people do without the road being closed lol - so it’s ‘no maniacs only’ game.

But yeah sprints are based on circuits and usually involve - launch from standing start - few straights few corners and flying finish. Great crack and lovely smooth tarmac

Also regarding the safety stuff - yes some hillclimbs require rollcages in all classes including roadgoing (but many don’t) and more importantly regarding the sprints they aren’t required at all in roadgoing - an MOT worthy car with stock interior and belts is perfectly acceptable. At neither hillclimb/sprint is hans device or harness or bucket seat required for road-going

Last edited:

PhilM

RMS Regular
@Marc yeah quarter mile stuff - I just want to see how the car performs that's all, in a straight line

No regs
No safety equipment (bar helmet if needs be)
No licence or fees

Just turn up, pay an access/race fee for the day and enjoy the experience

Ah well that’s a bit tougher but hear me out (I do hate when folk are put off lol)

No regs - ok so there is regs (and 16classes just make sure you can come in you F1 car if needs be) BUT the first 3 classes are for roadgoing cars and are free of 99% of the regulations.

No safety equipment - helmet and race suit that’s it. Nothing more than you need to go skiing and probably much cheaper lol

No license or fees - license is £45 for the year

Just turn up on the day, pay and play - yes much like a trackday you just arrive and pay cash on arrival 85/100 for the day.

Enjoy the experience?! Never heard of many/any who haven’t enjoy it - but you do hear of lots who have not enjoyed it cause it’s Too much effort to get into.... :worried:

It’s simple and affordable and very welcoming. In terms of motorsport it’s the place to start. And with a 400hp hatchback and a few runs under your belt you will be laughing!

Hears one of the Kirkistown sprint courses used

Excuse the bucket seat and harness I stuck those in by choice lol (stock 1989/1990 seats weren’t great support lol)

Phil

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
This is more what I am on about:

Drag racing is fun and we did it for years but the sprints are much better.

Is your S3 DSG? If so drag racing will become very boring very quick as you don’t even have to change gear

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Dates will probably appear on facebook at some point for drag racing

Drag Race Ireland

Also, generally for both sprints and hillclimbs you must register and pay up front, usually at least a week or two before the event itself. They may take some entries on the day, but that is entirely at organisers discretion. As a newbie...dont hope on that happening.
Register and pay early. I think most are doing online entries now anyway, whereas previously it was all manual !

For the drag racing....they used to take entries on the day and probably still will...but due to poor shows without pre-pay ( and a host of other reasons to be fair ) the past couple of events have been pre-pay only.
At least when he takes that approach, he can secure running costs and hopefully secure future events.

stevostr

RMS Member
Drives
106 xsi
Where is the list?

Hi Boydie,

To echo a lot of replies so far, sprint info is spot on

I am currently competing in NI sprint championship and have done so for past 3 seasons. I would recommend for starting out go to class 1 roadgoing

I made the mistake of going into class 6a and got my @r$e handed to me!

Basically class 1 is standard road car up to 1.7, puma or 106/saxo is your best shout for something cheap and easy to fix- you have to take into consideration cost of parts as things WILL break. I run a S1 106 and find it a gift to work on, and I started motorsport not even able to tell what a driveshaft was!

For sprints you need:

• an MSA license at £45 per year
  • A car (obviously)
  • an MSA approved helmet - Budget is up to you but I use a V2 helmet - here's the linko Home
    Now for the helmet, for class 1 you don't have to run a HANS device (head and Neck protection) BUT I would highly recommend it as I was an idiot and hit a tree at craigantlet hillclimb last year and it certainly did its job! bear in mind you need a HANS compatible helmet with posts. V2 do these.
  • You need to be a member of at least 1 car club to compete in events, normally £15 of so - entry forms can be found on club websites, the likes of Ulster Automobile club or TSCC etc
  • In terms of the car for class 1 anyways, you don't need a cage though again recommended!, same applies to harnesses however I know a few guys that go out in bog standard cars and have a great time. a good set of tyres is beneficial, the likes of toyo R888 are a good all rounder and can be got second hand cheaply if you look around the kirkistown fiesta championship paddock!
  • A decent set of brakes and exhaust wouldn't go amiss either

Now - onto the events themselves:

Most rounds take place at either Nutts Corner karting circuit or Kirkistown, either long or short circuit

For entries, these will be available on ANICC website and you normally pay £90 per event. Entried need to be in before closing time - normally a week or 2 before event.

On the day of the event, turn up at the track and get unpacked - I recommend bringing jacks, spanners good tools and spare fuel! Food also is a must!

You then go to scrutineering and have the car checked over to make sure its safe! once completed you "sign on" this is signing a competitors form and presenting your MSA license, so make sure you bring this with you!

Then onto the runs, you have normally 2 practice runs and 3 timed runs during the day. runs are determined in class order usually - you line up in pitlane and they send 2 or 3 cars out together but with 30 second intervals between. you do a standing start and drive flat out one lap, past pitlane and come into the pits at the end of the second lap. you get an overall time for your 2 laps and this is your run time.

You do this 5 times and your fastest time out of your 3 timed runs (practice not counted towards final result) determines overall finishing position

Prizegiving follows then pack up and go home, have a pint/pizza and enjoy the pics on social media!

Shoot me a message if yo need any help and I will be more than happy to point you in right direction!

many thanks,

Stephen

PhilM

RMS Regular
On the day of the event, turn up at the track and get unpacked - I recommend bringing jacks, spanners good tools and spare fuel! Food also is a must!
Stephen

Stevies dad even breaks out the BBQ on occasion haha

very welcoming bunch, always delgihted to see new competitors.

Phil

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
I'd be interested in coming to watch but not "sprinting" my car - I used the wrong words when originally posting and its drag racing I'm more interested in

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.