Speeding course

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

AC

RMS Regular
If you get clocked doing 69 in a 60 and you haven’t done the course within the last 3 years, it’s highly likely you will be offered it, otherwise you are getting 3 points.

Just extended that! You love a good debate :grinning:

Stu Beck

RMS Regular
Just extended that! You love a good debate :grinning:
Forget about the course. Lol.
The penalty for 69 in a 60 is 3 points, so if you add another 20 to make it 89 it couldn’t possibly still be 3 points.

RayJay

Drives
VW Golf TDI 2.0L
So I was caught speeding at 67mph on a 60mph speed limit. However I’m a R driver (restricted to 45mph). Will I be eligible for the speed awareness course? If not, how many points will I receive?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
So I was caught speeding at 67mph on a 60mph speed limit. However I’m a R driver (restricted to 45mph). Will I be eligible for the speed awareness course? If not, how many points will I receive?

@NeilMcG may be able to advise

purplea4T

RMS Regular
You’ll not get any points, and certainly not awarded an awareness course. You will probably however receive a ban, rightly so.
You were 22 mph over your limit, regardless of the speed limit of the road; even 6 points will cause a loss of licence for you as a new driver.

Last edited:

AndyMc

RMS Regular
Drives
C350
22mph over your limit.

Doubt that will be 3 points.

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
Might be grand, he was 48% over the limit. I was 50% over a speed limit and got 3 points a few years back.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Mate of mine was caught 89 in a 30 on R plates and amazingly got to keep his license!

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
You’ll not get any points, and certainly not awarded an awareness course. You will probably however receive a ban, rightly so.
You were 22 mph over your limit, regardless of the speed limit of the road; even 6 points will cause a loss of licence for you as a new driver.

Bit excessive there if I'm being Frank, I'm sure we've all broken the speed limit at some stage or another, this guy was doing 67 in a 60, which is a common occurrence on a daily basis. The R driver system is a load of crap and condemnation for being a new driver is bonkers!

If NI want so badly to be apart of the UK with zero special privilges then why do they insist on maintaining custom laws? No new drivers on the mainland or in the republic are restricted to an abomination of a speed! It's quite honestly dangerous in most circumstances!

Why is it ok for a driver to drive at 45 on a motorway for 365 days then all of a sudden jump to 70? The logical thing would be graduate the speed higher, or allow for the same speed as the rest of the world!

OT: I was caught at 75 on a dual carriageway with a NSL on R plates and got 3 points. This was before the speed course was introduced so cannot comment on whether it may be offered.

purplea4T

RMS Regular
Bit excessive there if I'm being Frank, I'm sure we've all broken the speed limit at some stage or another, this guy was doing 67 in a 60, which is a common occurrence on a daily basis. The R driver system is a load of crap and condemnation for being a new driver is bonkers!

If NI want so badly to be apart of the UK with zero special privilges then why do they insist on maintaining custom laws? No new drivers on the mainland or in the republic are restricted to an abomination of a speed! It's quite honestly dangerous in most circumstances!

Why is it ok for a driver to drive at 45 on a motorway for 365 days then all of a sudden jump to 70? The logical thing would be graduate the speed higher, or allow for the same speed as the rest of the world!

OT: I was caught at 75 on a dual carriageway with a NSL on R plates and got 3 points. This was before the speed course was introduced so cannot comment on whether it may be offered.
It’s not really excessive though is it? 52 in a 30? 92 on a dual carriageway? It’s immaterial that he was in a 60 limit, his limit is 45.
Also it’s not up to me that a restricted policy exists for new drivers, it’s there and plans were in place before the Assembly collapsed to actually make it harder to be a new driver.
There is a course for new drivers but it’s not the usual speed awareness course - 3 hour course then online modules.

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
Drives
S2000
You might be ok, when I was on my R plates I was caught at 65 in a 60 and 60 in a 50 and only received 3 points on each occasion, however they added up causing a ban. I agree that the R plate speed restriction is daft but it’s the law unfortunately.

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
It’s not really excessive though is it? 52 in a 30? 92 on a dual carriageway? It’s immaterial that he was in a 60 limit, his limit is 45.
Also it’s not up to me that a restricted policy exists for new drivers, it’s there and plans were in place before the Assembly collapsed to actually make it harder to be a new driver.
There is a course for new drivers but it’s not the usual speed awareness course - 3 hour course then online modules.

Get off your high horse.
Of course getting a ban is excessive in this instance.
52 in a 30 would be TOTALLY different to this scenario....and the courts would look at it like that too

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.