Turbo'd Locost Kit Car - chasing 300bhp!

Paul Hamill

RMS Regular
Drives
Tiger Avon busa
If It was mine I’d have some fun with the locost first.Do a few trackdays,maybe a few sprints,find out what it does well and what you’d like to improve,but mostly enjoy it,then build into the Westfield later

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
If It was mine I’d have some fun with the locost first.Do a few trackdays,maybe a few sprints,find out what it does well and what you’d like to improve,but mostly enjoy it,then build into the Westfield later

Everything is an option man.....I am not busting my ass to sell the Locost for the sake of building the Westy. I am even having thoughts of an S2000 westy but that's me getting carried away lol.

I do want to see what I have built is capable of!

thornracing

RMS Photographer
Drives
accent
Always the way when I’ve no money and looking a kit car ...can you take body parts or a Leon FR as payment for your MK

id a Robin Hood chassis but hated it

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Always the way when I’ve no money and looking a kit car ...can you take body parts or a Leon FR as payment for your MK

id a Robin Hood chassis but hated it

You did right getting rid of the Robin Hood - they're a shed and weigh a tonne. Literally.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Exactly my thoughts

I am even having thoughts of an S2000 westy but that's me getting carried away lol.
Do it.

No no, not S2000. What you want is a K20 😇 :cool:
I was about to say something like this. Although I was going further and leaning towards Built K24 or supercharged K20. I think when you have a car that light though you'd be rude not to have it NA, especially if your other one is a turbo.

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Exactly my thoughts

Do it.

<iframe src="Do It Episode 3 GIF by Star Wars - Find & Share on GIPHY" width="480" height="208" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="">via GIPHY</a></p>

I was about to say something like this. Although I was going further and leaning towards Built K24 or supercharged K20. I think when you have a car that light though you'd be rude not to have it NA, especially if your other one is a turbo.

My 'other one' .... I sound like a t**t lol. If I got the right money for the rolling shell (minus all the trick bits), I would let it go. I'm not attached lol

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Its alright, do it like me, one NA car and one Turbo car, best of both worlds because a real car guy shouldn't have to choose boost or NA. ;) :laughing:

Hahaha!!! I think you're right.

Fu*k it.... Anyone got a Caterham or Ariel for sale?!?

pablo

RMS Moderator
great call on the westy swap imo, a westfield will always feel special, even if you cant "feel" it.

not fancy a bike engine for one?

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
great call on the westy swap imo, a westfield will always feel special, even if you cant "feel" it.

not fancy a bike engine for one?

Thanks man, I can't wait for it to arrive and get wired in! To be honest, bike engines have never done it for me - neither have NA engine'd cars either to be honest.... unless they're a very high spec redtop but I don't fancy spending £10k on an engine +o(

A turbo'd kit car just has an appeal to me that no busa engine (or other) could achieve. I guess this stems from having only properly wanted one since watching 'locost-turbo' on youtube and seeing how mental his is, with its wooshy turbo noises and popping/banging etc lol. Bike engines do sound great and would probably be better around a track but I can't imagine they'd the loads of fun on the road. (I want my car for track and road).

Each to their own though - I am not saying my car is better, it is just to my taste. Some people have laughed at me when I told them I put an MX5 engine in mine lol

pablo

RMS Moderator
no 100% mate but given youve 2 (greedy) though it might be a nice experiment for the locust.

add my name to the list if youre selling the chassis

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
no 100% mate but given youve 2 (greedy) though it might be a nice experiment for the locust.

add my name to the list if youre selling the chassis

Haha, yeah I know - I probably should. It is up for sale as a 95% complete car. I stuck it up out of interest and my phone has gone off the hook since. It is pretty much complete as I am throwing in my spare engine, box and clutch. It will therefore only need an engine loom and inlet manifold to make it drivable. I will PM you some details.

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
A turbo'd kit car just has an appeal to me that no busa engine (or other) could achieve. I guess this stems from having only properly wanted one since watching 'locost-turbo' on youtube and seeing how mental his is, with its wooshy turbo noises and popping/banging etc lol. Bike engines do sound great and would probably be better around a track but I can't imagine they'd the loads of fun on the road. (I want my car for track and road).

Why not have best of both worlds and go turbo'd bike engine :p :oops:

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Lol! Your not wise but i like it! Keep it up

Thanks (sort of) lol
Update..... Mark at Elite confirmed the numbers:

260bhp on standard 95 unleaded. He said he had it at high 260s and could have pushed for more but the coils were failing at over 260, with misfires at 270ish.

I am sure 260bhp will keep me sweet for now though.

As a matter of fact, it won't matter until I rebuild the Westfield as I've just sold the Locost rolling chassis - we think and move fast in our house! Haha
IMG_20191024_203815_314.jpg

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Sounds more dramatic from the inside, the benefit of sitting two inches from the exhaust I guess, lol 😇 😁

That's mental :cool:

I hope you drove it home!

56oval

RMS Regular
Great to see Mark got it sorted. The boys have been amazing for me over the years and have really gone to great lengths for a few of us. Its great to see them get the recognition they deserve.