E46 320d Touring

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Today I gave it a quick wipe down with Hybrid before then applying a coat of wax and treating the exterior plastics.

Should look like it’s been looked after a little now lol.
8A06B853-D06B-4B7C-B2C0-E62DB809A0AB.jpeg

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Wouldn't hybrid after wax make more sense than the other way around? Still a bit cake on cake but hey, every little helps :cool:

Great result either way (y)

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Wouldn't hybrid after wax make more sense than the other way around? Still a bit cake on cake but hey, every little helps :cool:

Great result either way (y)
I honestly don’t know lol. I was just using it to remove any dirt or dust that may have gathered from it sitting overnight before I had the chance to wax it.

Which I’ll probably do at some stage today again before going to the test centre lol

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
Awww, annoying but not so bad.

I though BMWs were famous for having crap handbrakes?

Is that a whole lower arm or can you do the ball joints alone?

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
I had a mondeo fail on handbrake and a brake pipe pitted. I replaced the brake pipe and sprayed some oil onto the brake caliper and unsuccessfully tried to unseize the arm for the handbrake. Retested it and it passed 🤷‍♂️ lol

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Awww, annoying but not so bad.

I though BMWs were famous for having crap handbrakes?

Is that a whole lower arm or can you do the ball joints alone?
I sh1t you not, the tester even said he knows that they’re cr@p! I said well why are you being so hard on me then?!?
I know he has a job to do.

Apparently you can replace the ball joints, but need a special tool to do it. Trying to find a motor factors who supply a ball joint on its own is a thing, never mind that I don’t have a press or the special tool lol.

So I’m going with a complete arm.

Once I’ve the arm done I’ll strip the rear discs off to see what shape the handbrake shoes and the discs are in. I’m hoping it’s just a lip that I can grind off and suddenly creat an amazing handbrake! Lol
I had a mondeo fail on handbrake and a brake pipe pitted. I replaced the brake pipe and sprayed some oil onto the brake caliper and unsuccessfully tried to unseize the arm for the handbrake. Retested it and it passed 🤷‍♂️ lol
Yea I’m hoping for something similar lol

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
The handbrakes in them have always been terrible. And those front arms are also really common. Sometimes if you're lucky the tester will give it a dab of footbrake to get her through the roller test lol

johnm

RMS Regular
Could you not just see about tightening it up at the handle first and see if that gets it good enough to get through the test? Be a lot handier than all that faff at the rear and coming across a potential rusted nut that could delay it again. Then look at it another time when you a free weekend?

greyfloppyhat

RMS Regular
I'm pretty certain it says somewhere in the handbook that you need to lightly apply the handbrake during driving to keep it work properly by giving the inside of the discs surface a good grind down. Do that and then tighten up the cable at the lever a bit and see if it helps, it may just save you messing with the shoe adjustment.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Yea you’re all pretty much right. Shoe adjustments are dead handy and I had done what I thought was enough last Friday, then tightened up at the handle, but it’s clearly not good enough for the test. So I’m gonna remove the discs and clean the inside of the drum part and then do the drive with the handbrake on bit.

But after I’ve finished this lol

5F8E2C2C-DE09-4C32-817A-A1660A88B491.jpeg

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I'm sure you know already but take all slack out of the cables first then tighten the shoes to the point they start to grab the drum then back a smidge. Do both sides then check the handle and adjust cable if necessary. I normally don't tighten the cable at all if I can help it.

Tbh I tried cleaning the inside surface by lightly applying the handbrake in one of my E46's and it ended up making it worse lol