E46 320d Touring

johnm

RMS Regular
Yeah slacken the cable back get the shoes tight but free then bring the cable back to taught.
That way if you need to tighten it you can quickly tighten from the cable instead of jacking up & fiddling with each wheel.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Don’t you slacken the cable first, then tighten shoes then tighten cable last?
Yea that’s pretty much it.

Still at the suspension though. Past experience taught me a valuable lesson, always replace suspension components in pairs across the axle. I had a civic once that I replaced one ball joint on when it failed spectacularly on me in the middle of Kells.

Thought I’d get away with one as the other side felt fine. A week to the day later the other side failed. So now I’m replacing the drivers side arm as we speak, having already completed the passenger side earlier.

5E611922-1F3B-4486-B46C-B7489D39FFFA.jpeg

veedubnoodle

RMS Regular
Drives
her crazy
Fair play Brian you're putting some real effort into this wee motor. Came up really well after a good clean in those pics above (y)

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
what a pisser after you doing the bushes too
Aye I know. Hind sight is always 20/20 though eh?
Fair play Brian you're putting some real effort into this wee motor. Came up really well after a good clean in those pics above (y)
Thanks man. Yea I’ve a few boys to thank for keeping me sane and advising me to keep at it, because it is becoming a real good car now.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Today the post finally arrived! So I set about removing these:

F51E60D4-D872-4476-A52A-159178ACA6C4.jpeg

which is hard really to tell but they were black and white carbon versions. One was missing as well hence the need to replace them.
I managed to find a set of blue and white carbon effect ones which match the bonnet badge nicely and are in my opinion much neater looking:
FDAF926E-1416-4BB4-A69F-18FC01718296.jpeg

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
Having read the thread I felt emotionally invested in this mot test haha Great feeling with the couple of challenges getting it done I'm sure! is looking the part now (y)

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Now it's mot'd you are due a change with your track record Brian 😂 looks good, definitely one to hang onto for a while 😎

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Now it's mot'd you are due a change with your track record Brian 😂 looks good, definitely one to hang onto for a while 😎
Yea I’m going to try and enjoy it for a while now I’ve it done. No getting rid for a while unless I want served with divorce papers! :joy:
But thank you Pete, kind words buddy.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Swap you for a 530d? 😁
You’re a bad man! :laughing: A very bad man! Putting ideas like that in my head!
Out with the kids on my first proper trip in it.

0845BD76-C366-494D-9D20-D80B843D1E93.jpeg

*goes off to search for @‘96dc2 530 thread lol

Last edited:

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
170 odd miles today and not a hiccup.

Though I’ve noticed a couple of things. I need to get a cup/drinks holder for it and it could do with cruise control for the motorway. The latter is just me being too lazy/used to having cruise control lol.

I don’t believe it’s an easy or rather a cheap retrofit, so I’ll just learn to do without cruise control lol.

Overall though it’s a great driving car. Feels nicer to drive than the Vectra did. It feels like it’s a better driving position as I didn’t get uncomfortable or anything. It has a good bit of power when needed and handled the twisty stuff up the coast decently with only a little roll.

Looking into stiffer/thicker anti-roll bars to help with that.

But yea, I loved driving it. Was sad to come home again, but had to get the kids back for their bedtime lol

Marc C

RMS Regular
Drives
E46 325i Touring
170 odd miles today and not a hiccup.

Though I’ve noticed a couple of things. I need to get a cup/drinks holder for it and it could do with cruise control for the motorway. The latter is just me being too lazy/used to having cruise control lol.

I don’t believe it’s an easy or rather a cheap retrofit, so I’ll just learn to do without cruise control lol.

Overall though it’s a great driving car. Feels nicer to drive than the Vectra did. It feels like it’s a better driving position as I didn’t get uncomfortable or anything. It has a good bit of power when needed and handled the twisty stuff up the coast decently with only a little roll.

Looking into stiffer/thicker anti-roll bars to help with that.

But yea, I loved driving it. Was sad to come home again, but had to get the kids back for their bedtime lol

Absolute dream of a car to drive. Even the likes of mine on budget coils, drives the very best!

Big 6 cylinder petrol helps too;)