RMS Epic Workshop/ Garage Thread: Show me your bench/garage

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
Bricklayers arrived finally to do the retaining wall.
DSC_0770.JPG

DSC_0771.JPG

DSC_0772.JPG

That was yesterday, this was today
DSC_0773.JPG
DSC_0774.JPG
DSC_0775.JPG

Still a bit more to do. We ran out of blocks so when they arrive, the bricklayers can finish the last of the wall. After that, the garage base will be going down.

thefool1983

RMS Regular
Bricklayers arrived finally to do the retaining wall.
View attachment 316131
View attachment 316132
View attachment 316133
That was yesterday, this was today
View attachment 316134View attachment 316135View attachment 316136
Still a bit more to do. We ran out of blocks so when they arrive, the bricklayers can finish the last of the wall. After that, the garage base will be going down.
Some amount of work in 1 day!!
Prob telling you how to suck eggs, but you Deffo need some drainage and clean stone behind that wall!

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Finally bought all the lights for the garage today, 12 double LED units, 6 6ft's and 6 5ft's. Yess electrical have been out of stock since christmas until this week.

Marc C

RMS Regular
Drives
E46 325i Touring
I’ve a big garage at the side of the house we got from H2 a load of years ago but it’s never really been used as a garage, it just ended up gathering a load of sh1te tbh.

Started clearing it the last few days and starting to get it into what I want it to be.

Have this 1 corner nearly finished now and happy with how it’s coming along. All the units, drawers and worktop are about 15/20 year old and battered but do rightly for garage use.

88699766-5E6B-4172-AF0E-0B248DC4AEA1.jpeg
1949D703-3E31-4202-B94F-2AAB7FEAABB9.jpeg
B6780EA3-74E3-42E6-901D-2B3C2483FBDC.jpeg

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
Some amount of work in 1 day!!
Prob telling you how to suck eggs, but you Deffo need some drainage and clean stone behind that wall!
1.5 days. 😁

There are drainage pipes in the wall to allow any water from the field behind to escape which will be then fed into our storm drains. The guy overseeing the work has done plenty of drainage work before, which is why we went with him, as the field run off was making the back lawn a bog.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Trying to find a decent stool for my garage. Main purpose will be to use at a welding bench. I've not found anything like so far.

Hoping for some ideas or examples of what people are using.

I quite like the Dewalt offerings but you cant get them in the uk. Not sure if I want fixed or with wheels. Guess it can't be too high as I need to comfortably use the pedal.

81baG%2BNpwiL._AC_SY450_.jpg
1616086518790.jpeg

variant

RMS Regular
Drives
T5, Up Gti
That workbench set up looks well.
Did you make it yourself? Will be starting mine hopefully at Easter
Yeah couldn't get anything that would work so made the bench to fit between 3 walls and bought the two tool cabinets off @lightning

Hopefully get the rest of the units he has for me picked up tomorrow or Monday and get it finished.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Trying to find a decent stool for my garage. Main purpose will be to use at a welding bench. I've not found anything like so far.

I quite like the Dewalt offerings but you cant get them in the uk. Not sure if I want fixed or with wheels. Guess it can't be too high as I need to comfortably use the pedal.
Why not make your own if you have a welder?
I love this style, although maybe not the padded seat if it's for a welding bench.

variant

RMS Regular
Drives
T5, Up Gti
Ignore the complete sh1t tip that these illuminate. :sob:
Couldn't resist trying out one of the new lights in the workshop just to see how much of a difference it will make. Holy frig. :cool:

Old
View attachment 316294
New
View attachment 316295
Led lights are the biggest development in mancave technology in recent times, I only put up two and it's phenomenal how good they are

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Why not make your own if you have a welder?
Its a possibility, but still need to decide what style to go with. Also I'm still working on equipping my garage with the metal working tools I need and don't yet have everything.

Led lights are the biggest development in mancave technology in recent times, I only put up two and it's phenomenal how good they are
Which ones did you go with?

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
Drives
S2000

81baG%2BNpwiL._AC_SY450_.jpg
View attachment 316225

I saw a similar offering in the UK.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
I love this style, although maybe not the padded seat if it's for a welding bench.
I plan to make a custom welding/mobile work bench sometime, a swing out seat might be something to add to that. Its TIG welding so the padded seat shouldn't be a problem. Plus you could use fire retardant material.

I saw a similar offering in the UK.
Thanks for the link, might give that a go. Not sure if its tall enough but Its a good base and I can easily enough add some length to it if I want to.

variant

RMS Regular
Drives
T5, Up Gti
I plan to make a custom welding/mobile work bench sometime, a swing out seat might be something to add to that. Its TIG welding so the padded seat shouldn't be a problem. Plus you could use fire retardant material.

Thanks for the link, might give that a go. Not sure if its tall enough but Its a good base and I can easily enough add some length to it if I want to.
An old custkmer of mine got his wife to make covers for his stool, his office chair and his creeper out of a welding blanket as he was sick of setting them on fire!

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
what way do they tie in/build below the old retaining walll given you are now going deeper mike ? will be a much better job anyway..

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
what way do they tie in/build below the old retaining walll given you are now going deeper mike ? will be a much better job anyway..
Have to build a small footing wall next week and extend the 2 ends of the retaining wall.

Lots to do but it's work is going fast.

Digger is just away this minute to another job and will be back Sunday as their other big digger blew it's pump last week.

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
be interested to see pics of it all..... must add to the challenge digging further after that original wall was built.... defo best to get it done now though !!

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
6 of these 5ft 2 x 40W

and 6 of these 6ft 2 x 48W
Thanks

Thats a lot of lumens but also a lot of power consumption.

I don't want to be burning too much power but likewise I don't want to have poor lighting.

I light one of my bays with only 138 watts - 3x40 watt panels and one 18w downlight and its like daylight in there.

thumbnail_IMG_7934.jpg

At night:

thumbnail_IMG_7945.jpg

My middle bay also uses panels although only 2x40w.

The right bay is full height for the scissor lift so will need more power but not sure how much. Will be going with two main lights and two extra that can be turned on when required plus one on the wall.

Was looking at these.

But perhaps I should go for two of the 2x48w and two of the 1x48w or would it be better to go with 4x55w. Of course I could go with 4x40w panels but its full height sloped and will be a while before I get to build the ceiling in there I'd thought I'd just go for battens. Hard choices.

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
6 of these 5ft 2 x 40W

and 6 of these 6ft 2 x 48W

Great lights. That’s the same as I went with
Thanks

Thats a lot of lumens but also a lot of power consumption.

I don't want to be burning too much power but likewise I don't want to have poor lighting.

I light one of my bays with only 138 watts - 3x40 watt panels and one 18w downlight and its like daylight in there.

View attachment 316376

At night:

View attachment 316377

My middle bay also uses panels although only 2x40w.

The right bay is full height for the scissor lift so will need more power but not sure how much. Will be going with two main lights and two extra that can be turned on when required plus one on the wall.

Was looking at these.

But perhaps I should go for two of the 2x48w and two of the 1x48w or would it be better to go with 4x55w. Of course I could go with 4x40w panels but its full height sloped and will be a while before I get to build the ceiling in there I'd thought I'd just go for battens. Hard choices.

There is a serious amount of light from them.

I’ve 12 of the 5 foot ones downstairs (12m x 6.5) when you go upstairs which has 14 GU10 down lights it seems like darkness but obv don’t need that bright upstairs

It’s still less than 1KW (18p an hour)

We debated 2 rows or 3 rows. Glad I went with 3 tbh

Last edited: