Thinking of selling up my MX5 for an E92 325i Coupe. Sanity check needed!

Johnny_E

RMS Regular
OP
Johnny_E
Drives
C220
Cant say much about MX5 or BMW but can agree on your sentiment on selling the Audi :weary_face:
You just never see them for sale any more... and at the time, £1800 was a fair price given the market. The Recaros were electric adjust, factory option. BIG mistake....

Stebo

RMS Regular
Drives
Defender 110
Wasn't there a V6 Alfa Brera? Not sure what money they are, but might be an option

KevM

RMS Regular
You'll blow your balls off selling the MX5 if it owes you that. You'd be mad to sell it, unless someone is mental enough to pay you every penny it owes you

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I'm into my Alfas but the Brera just never appealed to me, the spider even less so.

Get the 5 out and the roof down or sell it to me and I'll put a cage and guards on it and point it down some rough lanes to tear the arse out of it..:imp: :p

Johnny_E

RMS Regular
OP
Johnny_E
Drives
C220
I'm going to add up the receipts tonight. If nothing else, it'll be a good exercise in how man maths over the years has fooled me. I'll have to take a hit for sure. I've booked tomorrow off work so I'll get the roof off and get a run out in the morning, see what I think.
I'm into my Alfas but the Brera just never appealed to me, the spider even less so.

Get the 5 out and the roof down or sell it to me and I'll put a cage and guards on it and point it down some rough lanes to tear the arse out of it..:imp: :p
It's reliability of old Alfa's would put me off. Can't be bothered with problem cars any more. Must be getting old...

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
I hear that you like spending money on cars that you'll never ever yet back and you also like 6 cylinder engines.

Sounds like you need a Rocketeer kit for the mx5 😀

Johnny_E

RMS Regular
OP
Johnny_E
Drives
C220
I hear that you like spending money on cars that you'll never ever yet back and you also like 6 cylinder engines.

Sounds like you need a Rocketeer kit for the mx5 😀
At £6k for the self install kit.... despite being awesome... I'll pass!

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
There is a subframe / manifolds etc to fit the Mazda KL 2.5 V6 in the 5 too and cheaper than the rocketeer kit. Slightly less power but lighter than the Jag V6. Search for CRapEngineering for the subframe, manifolds and gearbox adapter. She does an ITB kit for it too.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
There is a subframe / manifolds etc to fit the Mazda KL 2.5 V6 in the 5 too and cheaper than the rocketeer kit. Slightly less power but lighter than the Jag V6. Search for CRapEngineering for the subframe, manifolds and gearbox adapter. She does an ITB kit for it too.
The problem is finding a KLZE, where as the jag lumps are very easy to find, part of the reason they chose it.

Both engines sound fantastic, though the Jag has quite a bit more power 170 vs 240

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Yep, they are pretty rare now indeed. The ITB setup brings the power up a bit but in reality all these conversions are about the noise as a turbo'd 5 would be quicker if done right.

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
6 cylinder swap the mx5? Or even better put a proper zoom zoom in it and 13b that beatch 🤤

Johnny_E

RMS Regular
OP
Johnny_E
Drives
C220
Well, I went for milk this morning and came back 1 1/2 hours later.... with no milk :laughing:

Going to hold off and get some miles under me.

51143229597_cc90dab810_k.jpg

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I’d be cursing you if I saw you on a day like today with the hardtop on.

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
I sold my mk2 Mx5 vs and bought a e46 325 coupe msport

the bmw was lovely but so very very boring

Father Stack

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS
I’d be cursing you if I saw you on a day like today with the hardtop on.
Same, I get so angry when I see someone in a convertible with the roof up on a sunny day. WHY DID YOU BUY A CONVERTIBLE?!

Keep that MX5 man, honestly. Unless you need the slightly more space, that is 10x the car of an E92 325.

Johnny_E

RMS Regular
OP
Johnny_E
Drives
C220
Same, I get so angry when I see someone in a convertible with the roof up on a sunny day. WHY DID YOU BUY A CONVERTIBLE?!

Keep that MX5 man, honestly. Unless you need the slightly more space, that is 10x the car of an E92 325.

I'm keeping it. Been out twice today, just to get driving. I've 2 other cars here in the house so room isn't an issue and it's only ever me takes the MX5 out.

Time to decide what to do next then..... it handles so well, it doesn't need that much more poke. ITBs... now that's an option. For now, I'll start to uprate the front end a bit. I have IL Motorsport bushes on the rear, so need to do the same up front. Maybe look at refreshing the hoses with silicone and a better rad. Move the washer bottle to the scuttle.

Father Stack

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS
Turbo it!

I absolutely LOVED my turbo MX5. Seriously good fun to drive. I got 265 miles out of a set of rear tyres once :grinning:

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I'm keeping it. Been out twice today, just to get driving. I've 2 other cars here in the house so room isn't an issue and it's only ever me takes the MX5 out.

Time to decide what to do next then..... it handles so well, it doesn't need that much more poke. ITBs... now that's an option. For now, I'll start to uprate the front end a bit. I have IL Motorsport bushes on the rear, so need to do the same up front. Maybe look at refreshing the hoses with silicone and a better rad. Move the washer bottle to the scuttle.

Yeah cooling isn't a bad move. I did quite a bit of track work with mine over the years and the plastic ended radiators had a habit of popping after being silly, the extra capacity was good too. Decent hoses are a good shout. And a good clutch. There's honestly about a million things you should do before going for more power and there's far more knowledgable folk on here than me. I was probably 6 or 7 years into dialing mine in to what way I wanted it before making the move to turbo (which is still WIP).

Take an hour, go to youtube and have a look.

They can be made to be quite quick indeed.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia

I was honestly worried about ruining mine by turboing it.

Being able to ring it's neck without doing silly speeds is part of the appeal.

I don't think I ever had a journey in mine, even just to the shops, that I didn't get the back end out on. Lol

Johnny_E

RMS Regular
OP
Johnny_E
Drives
C220
Yeah cooling isn't a bad move. I did quite a bit of track work with mine over the years and the plastic ended radiators had a habit of popping after being silly, the extra capacity was good too. Decent hoses are a good shout. And a good clutch. There's honestly about a million things you should do before going for more power and there's far more knowledgable folk on here than me. I was probably 6 or 7 years into dialing mine in to what way I wanted it before making the move to turbo (which is still WIP).

Take an hour, go to youtube and have a look.

They can be made to be quite quick indeed.

I do like the idea of a supercharger conversion. I'd be able to keep the exhaust system I've got, maybe add Racing Beat headers. I'm confident enough I can do the ME221 conversion ok myself, get it running NA before I'd bring a box of bits to someone to bolt up the charger kit. The G19 stuff looks REALLY nice... G19 Engineering - Supercharger
I was honestly worried about ruining mine by turboing it.

Being able to ring it's neck without doing silly speeds is part of the appeal.

I don't think I ever had a journey in mine, even just to the shops, that I didn't get the back end out on. Lol

Same here. The car only has 41k on it and I'd kick myself if it became unreliable. For that reason... I'm gonna do more bushing/cooling stuff for now. Maybe a set of headers... its a laugh as it is.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
I do like the idea of a supercharger conversion. I'd be able to keep the exhaust system I've got, maybe add Racing Beat headers. I'm confident enough I can do the ME221 conversion ok myself, get it running NA before I'd bring a box of bits to someone to bolt up the charger kit. The G19 stuff looks REALLY nice... G19 Engineering - Supercharger

Same here. The car only has 41k on it and I'd kick myself if it became unreliable. For that reason... I'm gonna do more bushing/cooling stuff for now. Maybe a set of headers... its a laugh as it is.

Fresh bushes etc, maybe some bracing like frog legs?