slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
1000 miles per week in an S5 😳 Ouch!

The Westfield would be much cheaper to run :innocent:

haha, yep! She was a high miler at 107k! Lol. The westfield runs out of petrol when it’s just ticking over ffs! I had two guzzlers and zero economical cars. Now I’ve one of each! Haha

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Finally!!!!!!!!

238CD3E8-2234-40B8-9AAB-C29D263A4193.jpeg

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
So, diff is in….spent last night and all day today getting the car sorted for a long weekend of fun.

Raised my engine mounts to give me around 90mm now of sump clearance, spanner checked, filled diff with oil, gave it a quick alignment, fettled the bodywork and tidied up a few wee jobs I’d been putting off. Finally got there….ready to go for a spin.

Started the car, got it warmed up and was really getting excited now!

But of course, as I walked towards the car, it decided to cut out……

I turned the ignition off then on again and the fuel pump primed but then died - The dashboard wouldn’t turn on so the ECU clearly wasn’t getting power. Weird since it has been on the button for well over two months now since coming back from the tuner! 😢

I left it a moment and tried again but this time, the car seemed dead altogether - ECU looked like it wasn’t getting power at all. Tried again, and it powered up, primed the fuel pump and then died again. It seems to be an intermittent issue.

One thing after the other ffs! So ******* annoying at this stage that ANOTHER things decides it wants to fight me! Especially on a bank holiday weekend where I’d worked to get this out and enjoy it!!!

Anyway, I’ll get back at it tomorrow with a fresh pair of eyes and hopefully it’s something obvious…..

On another note, I got a lend of a set of corner weight scales and the clearly summer diet worked wonders as it now weighs in and a piddly little 585kg!!! That’s in full road trim with two seats and whatnot! Pretty happy with that since this time last year, it weighed somewhere closer to 620kg. To be fair, that was before any carbon and purposely lightweight stuff was added!

Oh and I did another buy…..dunno why, car doesn’t work

59A97515-BEB7-48D6-AE6B-1ADA2283B7F3.jpeg

F037C6AE-AEAA-492E-BF42-ED6D906C4A8F.jpeg

Oh yeah, and I did my new valve cover neon yellow….for the craic

4C82D5C1-F48D-4025-A12E-8F917D88AE51.jpeg

mark19

RMS Regular
Drives
golf
I may sound like an old person 😂😂 and I did the same with my mk2 golf. But you seem to do what i did. Just keep building and adding to it and never drive it 😂😂😂

Then I drove it once and sold it haha

Dont do what I did 😂😂

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
I may sound like an old person 😂😂 and I did the same with my mk2 golf. But you seem to do what i did. Just keep building and adding to it and never drive it 😂😂😂

Then I drove it once and sold it haha

Dont do what I did 😂😂

haha no don’t worry, this piece of **** is my labour of love and no money would take it off my hands. I’ll eventually have it the way I want it and perfectly reliable lol.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Perfect excuse to buy more shiny bits to fix this problem 😁 We're on to you now :innocent:

Bad luck, but hey, onwards and up. You'll see the problem tomorrow. Bound to be something silly.

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
Nightmare! Niggles like that can be so frustrating. Unlikely to be the issue but did you check the earth? When I switched to the powerlite battery I had a similar issue and I realised that the earth terminal on the battery wasn’t clamping tight.

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Soooo, the ‘something simple’ turned out to be…well, the simpleton operator - ME!

The battery has an indicator on it which shows the voltage. I checked the voltage first thing yesterday and it was showing as 12.2V. It wasn’t even getting power to turn the ECU on at times so no way did I think my issue was relating to low battery voltage. I’ve seen less voltages on other batteries still turn the ignition lights on etc.

I got the multimeter out this morning and with ignition off, voltage was 12 but when ignition was turned on, the voltage dropped to 0. So weird! Anyway battery charged and car started but that brought me onto the next problem……

Long story short…..the valve cover AN12 breather hose was clipped up alongside the turbo oil feed line on the valve cover. When I was charging the battery, the metal charging terminal touched the braided hoses (for no longer than a minute)….this caused a circuit between the lot and stuff started smoking etc. As soon as I realised, i pulled it off. Thmelted the inside of the turbo oil feed line. When I started the engine, it pissed oil out of the oil feed line so I need to replace that before I can go anywhere.

On another note, I sorted my new valve cover and catch can setup. I need to shorten the lines and fit straight AN12 fittings at the catch can side but these will do for now. Let’s not mention the poxy looking neon yellow - I must have banged my head when I decided that this would look good.

78450AD5-A44E-4EF6-9814-BF5589C61088.jpeg

3B9B1E69-4E2A-4791-ADA3-BB4C34BD18CE.jpeg

Does anyone know someone, who knows someone that can get me an banjo oil feed line somewhere tomorrow? I know most places are going to be closed because of the bank hol.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Every day is a learning day! At least you're honest about it (y)

A battery can hold a voltage and still not be able to deliver a current if it's gone bad. Those charge indicators aren't much use to be honest, little more than Christmas lights. Keep it on a trickle charger, or fit an earth breaker by the battery, for when the car is laid up.

You'd be surprised how much stuff still draws power with ignition off, even on a simple car. Your fancy dash screens for example. It just sucks the life out of the battery. Neither acid nor solid batteries like being fully discharged.

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
Bloody hell man….. you must have immense patience…. I’d have had multiple bonfires by now if I was in your shoes!!

the older I get the more i detest working on cars…. I wish I didn’t enjoy driving/racing them as much, as it would be so much easier!!!

fair play… I admire your motivation… and ability 👍

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Every day is a learning day! At least you're honest about it (y)

A battery can hold a voltage and still not be able to deliver a current if it's gone bad. Those charge indicators aren't much use to be honest, little more than Christmas lights. Keep it on a trickle charger, or fit an earth breaker by the battery, for when the car is laid up.

You'd be surprised how much stuff still draws power with ignition off, even on a simple car. Your fancy dash screens for example. It just sucks the life out of the battery. Neither acid nor solid batteries like being fully discharged.

100% mate. I’ve no interest in telling people it’s perfect if it’s not lol. Multiple mistakes and cock ups in a row. I’ll get there though!

definitely need a circuit breaker, as you say!
Bloody hell man….. you must have immense patience…. I’d have had multiple bonfires by now if I was in your shoes!!

the older I get the more i detest working on cars…. I wish I didn’t enjoy driving/racing them as much, as it would be so much easier!!!

fair play… I admire your motivation… and ability 👍

haha I don’t know where I find these patience from mate to be honest. Every time something happens, I want to burn it! Lol.

I keep believing that it will become reliable the more I work through issues. Persistence is the key to success lol

P.S. do you still have that caterham? Lol

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
100% mate. I’ve no interest in telling people it’s perfect if it’s not lol. Multiple mistakes and cock ups in a row. I’ll get there though!

definitely need a circuit breaker, as you say!

haha I don’t know where I find these patience from mate to be honest. Every time something happens, I want to burn it! Lol.

I keep believing that it will become reliable the more I work through issues. Persistence is the key to success lol

P.S. do you still have that caterham? Lol

yea, unsure how you maintain patience let alone the time you invest in it…

lol yes!!! And I keep swaying between sell/keeping the Caterham …. Last week I was keep… this wk end I am sell!! Ultimately I need to decide what to do with the Jedi..:: anyway, that’s my ‘issue’ not dragging this thread into my ‘issues’ lol

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
yea, unsure how you maintain patience let alone the time you invest in it…

lol yes!!! And I keep swaying between sell/keeping the Caterham …. Last week I was keep… this wk end I am sell!! Ultimately I need to decide what to do with the Jedi..:: anyway, that’s my ‘issue’ not dragging this thread into my ‘issues’ lol

haha! I think we need to go to AA together.

patience, time and money - all things I could have saved if I’d just bitten the bullet two years ago and bought a 620r. It’s shocking that I’m into this car to that level of money and still having problems but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

probably would have been an idea to flog it a year ago and have that Caterham off you. Probably still is a good idea but no, I’m not quitting lol.

P.S. keep it until I want to buy it, thanks 😂

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I'd love that caterham tbh, or at least be able to justify it to myself lol. Trying to reduce the fleet from 7 down to something more manageable at the moment so if I turned up with another, I'd be sleeping in one of them... :sob: