S5 3.0 V6

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
get back to the garage man............... and get that car running :grinning:

just let me b*tch about it for a few days. 😂 We all know I’ll be swapping and changing more sh*t this weekend, making it ‘better’

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
if it made you feel better.........................

i could charge you 30K over the next 12 months... by selling you the caterham in 'kit' form....... and i guess to make it more of a challenge (which you love) woudl be to break it into pieces by angle grinder.... loom and all... to give you a real challenge ? could be like a beer subscription, 2.5K per month and i'll deliver a few more boxes of bits each month

Last edited:

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Sod glorified scaffolding and plastic canoes, you want one of these 😁 :cool:

There was a company in England called Autobionics doing a load of work with the new LT and the Porsche PDK box, in Ultimas and other chassis. But last year they seemed to disappear. Website, FB page everything just gone.

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
if it made you feel better.........................

i could charge you 30K over the next 12 months... by selling you the caterham in 'kit' form....... and i guess to make it more of a challenge (which you love) woudl be to break it into pieces by angle grinder.... loom and all... to give you a real challenge ? could be like a beer subscription, 2.5K per month and i'll deliver a few more boxes of bits each month

doesn’t sound challenging enough….it would probably work too easily

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
So, I fitted my new AIM MXS 1.2 Strada. It is crazy how simple these are to wire in compared to the archaic RaceTechnology Dash2. Literally power, ground then low/hi CAN and it’s reading everything that my ECU reads .

E9B40946-8156-4BE9-8FD3-C968D4963A42.jpeg

I then spent the next night configuring my dash screens. I have four screens, each for different purposes - road, track etc. I set up my alarms and warning lights for each parameter.

I also bought the AIM GPS module so I can make full use of GPS speed and track data - I’m a geek for gadgets even though these are absolutely unnecessary!

6FCE2C12-B7E0-498B-B7A2-B12F9BA4418F.jpeg

18E83137-DC85-4519-816D-90FF2D2AC134.jpeg

D856E996-C36D-4E27-9816-4D64A90FF1AC.jpeg

In other good news, I’m off for a week and half soon so I’ll get the rest of these parts fitted and get it out a run. I’m half tempted by the next track day on 12th September but the car is practically untested.

hmmm…..might even just drive it down Sunday and see how I feel/if I make it there lol

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Great work, nearly there with this. Must be a load of fun and more than just a bit nuts with that power to weight ratio.

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
30 miles of hassle-free driving today. I gave it some stick too and it was faultless. Well, maybe that’s a slight exaggeration - it’s stalling when it comes to idle at a junction. I think it’s something simple to do with the drive by wire that just needs tweaked. A turn of the key and it goes again….No big deal, but I’ll try get that sorted this weekend.

I gave it some serious stick too and my god, It inspires you with confidence even though it is an absolute animal! It just sticks with those massive rear tyres!

Delighted!

The Aim dash has to be one of the best things I’ve bought for the car - I ordered the GPS09 module for it for GPS speed, track data logging etc. It also knows what gear I’m in too and there is virtually no lag between it recognising what gear I’ve changed to when shifting. It’s nuts!

I’m half tempted to book onto this track day on Sunday but don’t want to push my luck lol

D19510C5-F915-409B-B770-50603432B972.jpeg

30685574-6DC5-4BE3-B606-C9885E020B2F.jpeg

C6063A7C-F520-4A1D-8DCD-5C52B5880C18.jpeg

F5C4375A-2D8C-471E-9108-8BC06F72EC31.jpeg

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
So, the engine stalling issue was due to oil pressure - the ECU was commanding the engine to stop when oil pressure drops below 15psi.

Having done lots of research last night, it would seem that most MX5 guys are seeing at low as 10psi at hot idle. Seems very low but in my case, it was dropping to just below 15psi due to having such a low idle speed of 800rpm, and cutting the engine. Good thing that the ECU is doing it’s job eh!

E0EA604D-CCDF-4FD1-8915-4D8CF14C9381.jpeg

Anyway, Mark sent me a new map file this morning with 10psi as the engine kill oil pressure threshold. I loaded it up and the issue was gone.

I also switched around my boost solenoid vacuum lines between the compressor housing and the actuator. I relocated my boost solenoid and must have gotten them mixed up when I refitted the vac lines. I didn’t notice much of a difference when I switched it into high boost over the past few days.

My road test this morning confirms that I definitely now have high boost 😱🤫

Now for a wheel alignment, replace the coolant, oil change and then if the weather stays dry, I’ll go see @Marc who claims that he’s too much of a girl to get into it!

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Not so much afraid of the car, it would be the ropey pilot 😂😂😂

Dont worry @Marc he will have it broken by tomorrow with the amount of abuse its getting :laughing:

it looks to be going really well in fairness @Slick

both of ye can f**k off lol. @Marc can now vouch for it as he took it a spin himself today. ❤️ Uploading some videos then I’ll post them but we’re not 103 miles in and everything is running perfectly. I am one happy man!

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Get it on track, will be freaking awesome!

just testing it out and giving it as much grief as I can before I do - want to make sure it is ready for the track first. Its definitely getting there….gave it some serious sh*t today. Didn’t miss a beat but think my brakes still need a fiddle with

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Oh aye, out beside me and didn't call in lol !

Sounds like it's going ok anyway. 👍 :cool:

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Oh aye, out beside me and didn't call in lol !

Sounds like it's going ok anyway. 👍 :cool:

to be fair, I did think about going your way but it’s hard to remember roads when you’re trying to hang on/not get smashed in the face with everything going lol.

I’ll wear a helmet tomorrow and call out…if it’s dry! They’re some roads round your way!

yep, it’s going perfectly well….can’t complain

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
lol no worries dude, only pulling your leg, be good to see it if you get the chance but don't be going out of your way. :cool:

Got that tool in the post btw so ready to do that whenever you are ready.

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
lol no worries dude, only pulling your leg, be good to see it if you get the chance but don't be going out of your way. :cool:

Got that tool in the post btw so ready to do that whenever you are ready.

ah here, you need a drive in this thing. It’s bonkers! I’ll text you in the morning once I’ve looked at the weather forecast lol.

happy days, I don’t think I’ll settle until I get them swapped out!

hahahahah! You fixed that for me! Breaking all sorts of laws there. I genuinely had to pull in to get google maps as id no bloody idea where I was!

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Only way to know if it's ready for track is to take it there 😁 You'll never get even close on the public road.

It won't be, but that's the only place you'll find out what else needs tweaking.

Don't want to be a nanny, but seriously, you're crazy driving that without head and face protection. A pebble off the front wheel or a passing car at those speeds will kill you. Never mind bumping into something 🤫

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Only way to know if it's ready for track is to take it there 😁 You'll never get even close on the public road.

It won't be, but that's the only place you'll find out what else needs tweaking.

Don't want to be a nanny, but seriously, you're crazy driving that without head and face protection. A pebble off the front wheel or a passing car at those speeds will kill you. Never mind bumping into something 🤫

No, you’re right. I was just wanting to do a few miles being able to listen out for noises/rattles etc.

helmet on from now on 🙏

richie_mck

RMS Regular
That is a weapon, mine is fast but I’d say that’s in a different league again. Hopefully plain sailing from now

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
That is a weapon, mine is fast but I’d say that’s in a different league again. Hopefully plain sailing from now

hopefully plain sailing mate, yeah! We will have to get a run out some time.

Ive been in that car of yours with @Rob around kirkistown. It goes very well!!

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
This thing looks like it grips really well for what it is, seemed to dig in as soon as you were in second gear.

Definitely agree with the helmet, as a motorcyclist I would never dream of riding without one, even hitting a big fly @70mph is nasty enough with a helmet on, and then of course I've had stones hit windshields hard enough to crack them, imagine if that was your face. You see lots of Americans riding without one, but most Americans are brain dead anyway.