Any electric car drivers on here?

davyk31

RMS Regular
That went quick. So safe you say you liked it then? My Mrs likes them but think the tiny range would be an issue.

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE
That went quick. So safe you say you liked it then? My Mrs likes them but think the tiny range would be an issue.
I thought it was fantastic. Instant torque and very nippy in sport mode. Nice level of tech, nav, CarPlay, rear camera, auto (obviously) power fold mirrors, LED lights, mini connected, MFSW, Bluetooth etc.
She won’t do big mileage so range won’t really be an issue. Will also cost peanuts to run. Probably need charged max once per week. They’re dear enough though.
Wife liked the auto too and picked it up very quickly. Feels a bit bigger than our current F56 Cooper but not sure if it is.

Marc

RMS Moderator
I have an Ioniq 5 on loan for a few days, I have to say I’m a bit shocked at how much I like it as a commuter car, brilliant range, loads of tech, comfortable, good level of power also.

The rear is a good size, plenty of room for my little one, and no transmission tunnel is a great job.

I also like the looks of it, nothing else on the road like it.

I am going to be trying an Audi Q4 E-Tron shortly also, but really like the Ioniq5 .

davyk31

RMS Regular
An EV does get under your skin and become the perfect daily driver. So easy to drive with the instant torque and costs next to nothing to run. I tend to jump into mine for most trips so much so that my lease mileage estimate may be rather on the low side.

JT079

RMS Regular
Test drove the ioniq 5 today, very impressed, much bigger car inside than the model 3 as well. Only thing is the low 200 miles range… and 400+ lease fee, almost the same costs for a long range model 3, but 100mile range less🤭

davyk31

RMS Regular
Depends a lot on whether you can charge at home or not. If you can charge each night at home if needed then it’s down to how many days you need to be able to drive more than 200 miles and for most of us that’s pretty rare.

Marc

RMS Moderator
Test drove the ioniq 5 today, very impressed, much bigger car inside than the model 3 as well. Only thing is the low 200 miles range… and 400+ lease fee, almost the same costs for a long range model 3, but 100mile range less🤭

The range on this was close to 285 this morning I think, so quite good range on it.
ED733057-DFD6-4A43-9D24-6F1FD771DC76.jpeg

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
I am going to be trying an Audi Q4 E-Tron shortly also, but really like the Ioniq5 .
I think you'll find the E-Tron a bit of a dinosaur fossil compared to the Ioniq 5. Just buy the Hyundai.

The Ionic 5 is massive though. But they all are. Even a Honda E is bigger than a Golf, lol - and that's pretty much the smallest EV around. Had a look around the Honda when picking up the Civic and it's very nice too. Only thing for me is camera mirrors only, I could never live with that. The range is more than enough for bumbling about locally, and then just use something else when going further.

No point lugging around literally tons of batteries that are never needed 90% of the time.

Marc

RMS Moderator
I think you'll find the E-Tron a bit of a dinosaur fossil compared to the Ioniq 5. Just buy the Hyundai.

The Ionic 5 is massive though. But they all are. Even a Honda E is bigger than a Golf, lol - and that's pretty much the smallest EV around. Had a look around the Honda when picking up the Civic and it's very nice too. Only thing for me is camera mirrors only, I could never live with that. The range is more than enough for bumbling about locally, and then just use something else when going further.

No need to lug around literally tons of batteries that are never needed 90% of the time.

Are you thinking about the original Etron, the Q4 etron is not long out.

Similar tech to the Id3/Enyaq etc.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Ah, so basically an Id? That's different indeed. They could at least have called it something else then 😅

Id3 isn't bad, the Audi probably similar I guess. A bit "conservative" compared to others like the Honda or Ionic. More like a P2 to me. But that's not necessarily a bad thing, the gimmicks wear off quite soon.

adam1942

RMS Regular
Drives
2015 F56
Has anyone got the Enyaq? What are your thoughts on it? each time I spec it up the price shoots to the moon and it becomes unjustifiable again :worried:

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
An EV does get under your skin and become the perfect daily driver. So easy to drive with the instant torque and costs next to nothing to run. I tend to jump into mine for most trips so much so that my lease mileage estimate may be rather on the low side.

Totally. For the short trips they're great too - petrol car is just warming up and trip complete, which doesn't do it much good. EV doesn't care. I do a fair bit of local running about with my business and the Etron is perfect for it. Just get in and stomp the pedal. No waiting for things to warm up or whatever and nice and quick too. They're a game changer.

No point lugging around literally tons of batteries that are never needed 90% of the time.

E-Tron is the brand given to all the EV / hybrid Audi's since the A3 ETron or whatever it was called several years ago. Kind of like TFSI or TDI. Except for the actual Etron, which is just the Etron. Or the Etron fastback. Then there's whatever model Audi followed by Etron to designate some electrical propulsion in there somewhere. Could be hybrid but mainly fully EV now. Like the Q4 Etron. Nice and clear marketing lol.

And yes bit of a dinosaur and actually pretty inefficient by EV standards but definitely a great car and nice bridge between an old petrol car and a Iphone on wheels. Doesn't scream EV at everyone that walks past, fairly traditionally laid out and designed and pretty boring in the grand scheme of things. Nothing fancy at all really. I'm not a new car fan but I rather like ours.

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
I saw one of those Ioniq 5's in the flesh last week and it's just fantastic looking, needs the fancier wheels though.

US-spec-Hyundai-Ioniq-5-front-three-quarters.jpg

Hyundai-Ioniq-5.jpg

I am still tempted by a Min-E as an every day car, if the range was just a little bit more. I don't think a Honda E is bigger than a Golf either. I was sat beside one in the Touareg and it seemed like a toy car.

davyk31

RMS Regular
Has anyone got the Enyaq? What are your thoughts on it? each time I spec it up the price shoots to the moon and it becomes unjustifiable again :worried:

Haven’t tried an Enyak but have driven an ID.4 and own an ID.3 which are all pretty similar. On the face of it the Enyak seems decent value but does need a good bit added to match the well specced ID.3

adam1942

RMS Regular
Drives
2015 F56
Before we settle on a Kona 64kWh does anyone know of anyone that's leasing an Enyak that's in stock? We're getting rid of her car today but have to go to Scotland in a few weeks and would rather not use the Fiesta (or a Kona but it is what it is). I saw some on nationwidevehiclecontracts a few days ago but they are gone :worried:. Same on leasing.com none in stock.

as a side note this seems very good value considering the standard features and the range it gets(24months/8000mi)? Hyundai Kona Electric 150kW Premium 64kWh Auto Lease | Nationwide Vehicle Contracts

Last edited:

davyk31

RMS Regular
If range is important then a Kona is hard to beat. A guy I work with has one and he easily gets 60 to 70 miles more per charge than I get with the ID.3. Would expect the Enyak range to be similar to the ID.3

adam1942

RMS Regular
Drives
2015 F56
It's not the most important thing but based on availability and value for money seeing as the Skoda isn't available (spoke with them yesterday they are saying between 31 and 52 weeks) the Kona would do the job for a short 2 year lease. The looks are not for me hence the want to try and find a Enyaq but if no joy I think that's the best option

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE
Order finalised for the Mini with delivery in the new year (we didn’t want it any earlier). Seems to get rave reviews with the only real negative being range due to the small battery. The positive of this is it handles like the petrol variant. Range won’t be a problem for us though as our current Mini has never done 100 miles in one journey.

davyk31

RMS Regular
It's not the most important thing but based on availability and value for money seeing as the Skoda isn't available (spoke with them yesterday they are saying between 31 and 52 weeks) the Kona would do the job for a short 2 year lease. The looks are not for me hence the want to try and find a Enyaq but if no joy I think that's the best option

Have you tried Skoda dealers direct or just brokers? You may hit lucky and find a dealer with something in stock or in the pipeline. Maybe across the water you might find something ready to go. Also if going Hyundai try the local dealers as I arranged the one for the guy at work through a local dealer which was great.

adam1942

RMS Regular
Drives
2015 F56
Have you tried Skoda dealers direct or just brokers?

Yes mate tried John Mullholland yesterday but they are saying 31-52 weeks for the smaller battery and the large battery is not justifiable.

Even the showroom model is used. The they are not allowed to order any Skoda showroom models due to shortages atm! There are a few brand new units on usedcarsni but they are the large battery with around 8k of extras so again too costly unfortunately.

I'll call a few leasing companies tomorrow to see before we call it and go for the Kona.

davyk31

RMS Regular
If going for the Kona give Alan at CR Morrow Newry a shout as that’s where I dealt for the Kona. Cheaper than Mulholland and brilliant customer service. The Kona isn’t the best looking thing but they do drive very well and are plenty lively.