Any electric car drivers on here?

Creaney

RMS Regular
Drives
if i could afford a model 3 id have one.

the planning for new charging points all over northern ireland has started. a serious amount will be installed all over the place in the not so distant future.

Reactions: Ben

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
if i could afford a model 3 id have one.

the planning for new charging points all over northern ireland has started. a serious amount will be installed all over the place in the not so distant future.

They might want to plan and build some additional generation and supply infrastructure while they're at it.

Screenshot_20190925-223035.png

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
No worries, whatever floats your boat and all that :cool:

Only saying there are other options. For example, an iPace wouldn't be a lot more than a Model 3 Performance with a few options, especially on a lease deal. And there's no comparison in quality and usability.

I had an E-Pace last week and the quality was terrible for a premium brand.

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
renewed the infiniti Q30 lease for another year but now regretting not giving electric serious thought. Dalys should be getting their first electric Konas in early 2020, will be adding one of those the stable i think.

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
Daimler have announced they're not putting a penny more into ICEs. The times are a changin'

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
No worries, whatever floats your boat and all that :cool:

Only saying there are other options. For example, an iPace wouldn't be a lot more than a Model 3 Performance with a few options, especially on a lease deal. And there's no comparison in quality and usability.

Haven't sat in an i-Pace to be fair so can't comment but don't really like the look of them and a decent spec one is £70k+, £20k dearer than the Model 3 Performance so I would expect the lease price to be proportionally more. Why do you think the i-Pace is more usable? The hatchback? It's battery range is 10% less than the Tesla.

colin84

RMS Regular
As someone who actually owns a Model 3, and after nearly 4,000 miles since picking it up in June, I can tell you it's without doubt the best car I've ever owned (I've had Japanese rally replicas and an M3 in the past).

The electric drivetrain is just superior, full stop. The lack of engine noise is the one missing component for our generation, but there are so many other positives that you'll soon forget that as you ride the wave of torque.

My SR+ has the smallest battery but I drove it from Manchester to Lisburn a couple of weekends ago. I had one 30 minute stop at the supercharger in Gretna - and that's a break in a 4 hour drive I would have been doing in any vehicle.

'Gimmicks'? I guess fart mode, but again, if you actually lived with the car you will be delighted with the tech. Best sat nav I've ever used, the car drove itself up the M6 on autopilot, warming the car remotely on a cold morning, all the stats from every drive emailed to me etc etc.

Petrol heads like us can understandably be nervous of an EV future, but you don't have to be. It's fantastic!

Well that sounds interesting, may as well get the bus.

Edit* That actually sounds a bit cheeky. What I should have said is interesting write up, but doesn't sound exciting at all, and to me it would be like getting the bus.

Last edited:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Haven't sat in an i-Pace to be fair so can't comment but don't really like the look of them and a decent spec one is £70k+, £20k dearer than the Model 3 Performance so I would expect the lease price to be proportionally more. Why do you think the i-Pace is more usable? The hatchback? It's battery range is 10% less than the Tesla.

Each to their own and all that as usual.

Tesla are still learning to actually build cars, anyone I've been in the build quality has been shocking compared to anything else, certainly at the money.

They're getting better but not there yet.

The ergonomics - for pretty much everything you have to dive into that screen. That looks nice and big, but it's really just a glorified laptop bolted to the dash. With a clutter of small icons I find really hard to read (I'm old and decrepit, lol, if you haven't guessed 😅), never mind use on the go while trying to pay attention to actually driving.

In fairness that's a general trend these days, Tesla just take that to a whole different level.

It's things like that which makes it an "iPhone on wheels" rather than a car to me. Some like that, I don't, lol, you decide for yourself.

There's a lot of hype around Tesla, some of it deserved. They're just not the only gig in town any more and it's worth looking at the alternatives as well.

If it's the car for you then happy days.

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
Each to their own and all that as usual.

Tesla are still learning to actually build cars, anyone I've been in the build quality has been shocking compared to anything else, certainly at the money.

They're getting better but not there yet.

The ergonomics - for pretty much everything you have to dive into that screen. That looks nice and big, but it's really just a glorified laptop bolted to the dash. With a clutter of small icons I find really hard to read (I'm old and decrepit, lol, if you haven't guessed 😅), never mind use on the go while trying to pay attention to actually driving.

In fairness that's a general trend these days, Tesla just take that to a whole different level.

It's things like that which makes it an "iPhone on wheels" rather than a car to me. Some like that, I don't, lol, you decide for yourself.

There's a lot of hype around Tesla, some of it deserved. They're just not the only gig in town any more and it's worth looking at the alternatives as well.

If it's the car for you then happy days.

There aren't any similar alternatives though, only the Polestar 2 which will be late next year delivery. The rest are Hyundai, KIA, Golf-e. The i-Pace and e-Tron are more expensive as will the Mercedes EQC be when its released.

There's nothing else out there with 300+ mile range, 5 seats, every option you could really ask for and circa £50k. Oh and 0-60 in 3.5 seconds!

Tesla Dublin have a 3 week waiting list for test drives in the Model 3 and have closed the showroom on Saturdays to let them keep up with deliveries.

Build quality I can't comment on yet but its not something that crops up in many of the reviews I'm reading. Will find out for myself in 3 weeks!

Last edited:

Shmern

RMS Regular
Drives
VX220 NA
Some employers are reluctant to put this in due to potential benefit in kind issues arising from it - its currently a minefield with no sight, currently, of a potential relief or exemption for it.
With regard to BiK for charging at work, this has been clarified since april 2018 as NOT attracting BiK, so charge at work .... no tax issues ! (Happy days as we do have multiple chargers at work, 22kW ones as well!)

Paragraph from the link below:

It was announced at the Autumn Budget 2017 that, from 6 April 2018, there would be no benefit in kind charge on electricity that employers provide to charge employees’ personally owned electric vehicles. Draft legislation for this exemption was published in July 2018, which can be found together with a policy paper and explanatory note here.

Key features are:

• The exemption applies to recharging of personally owned all-electric or plug in hybrid cars (including any in which the employee is a passenger);
  • The employer has to provide the charging facilities at or near the workplace; and
  • The charging facilities have to be made available generally to all the employer’s employees.
Electric car taxation for employees and businesses | The Association of Taxation Technicians

Last edited:

JonnyB23

RMS Regular
With regard to BiK for charging at work, this has been clarified since april 2018 as NOT attracting BiK, so charge at work .... no tax issues ! (Happy days as we do have multiple chargers at work, 22kW ones as well!)

Paragraph from the link below:

Electric car taxation for employees and businesses | The Association of Taxation Technicians

Ahh apologies, I did know that. We are looking at it on one site only at the minute, so we dont fulfil the criteria for the exemption, as it must be available to all employees generally.

Shmern

RMS Regular
Drives
VX220 NA
Ahh apologies, I did know that. We are looking at it on one site only at the minute, so we dont fulfil the criteria for the exemption, as it must be available to all employees generally.
Mmm interesting, I thought it meant had to be available to all employees at the site where the charger is installed. So you can’t stop an employee at that site using the charger, so it’s not seen as a special group being catered for. Rather than you just make chargers available to all staff regardless of the site.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
I think it has to "be available" to every employee. If not then it's a perk for some employees and would be taxable.

Not sure if that means it has to be available on all sites.

There doesn't literally have to be a post for every employee. Just that all employees have equal access and not preferential treatment for some employees.

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
There aren't any similar alternatives though, only the Polestar 2 which will be late next year delivery. The rest are Hyundai, KIA, Golf-e. The i-Pace and e-Tron are more expensive as will the Mercedes EQC be when its released.

There's nothing else out there with 300+ mile range, 5 seats, every option you could really ask for and circa £50k. Oh and 0-60 in 3.5 seconds!

Tesla Dublin have a 3 week waiting list for test drives in the Model 3 and have closed the showroom on Saturdays to let them keep up with deliveries.

Build quality I can't comment on yet but its not something that crops up in many of the reviews I'm reading. Will find out for myself in 3 weeks!
A lady in my work has a model 3. Its very "american" interior build quality. Much more like 2008 hyundai than 2019 Porsche. It really does shift very well though.
I have just put an order down for an I pace having never seen or driven one. Hopefully not a terrible mistake.

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
A lady in my work has a model 3. Its very "american" interior build quality. Much more like 2008 hyundai than 2019 Porsche. It really does shift very well though.
I have just put an order down for an I pace having never seen or driven one. Hopefully not a terrible mistake.
I have to ask. Why would you invest £60k+ on something (or monthly equivalent) that you have never seen or driven?

Not the first time I’ve heard this especially seemingly related to electric cars, but it seems, well pretty mad!

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
I have to ask. Why would you invest £60k+ on something (or monthly equivalent) that you have never seen or driven?

Not the first time I’ve heard this especially seemingly related to electric cars, but it seems, well pretty mad!
Because they are the thing to have, like the latest iphone or whatever. Or do people just think it's like buying an other electrical item, new washing machine, etc.?

I wouldn't use the word "invest" for any new car. A house or a mortgage maybe, but never a car.
Interesting to hear the answer.

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular

For a car to get me to work and back its basically an appliance like my dishwasher. It only needs to be low hassle, nice to sit in and look good in descending order of importance. I don't care how dynamic the chassis is queuing to get on at Sandyknowes. Interior and exterior looks grand on photos so hopefully JLR have made something that meets the first criterion.

I got my last two cars for this purpose having never sat in them and have no regrets. A car for enjoyment purposes would actually need to be enjoyable though so different to me and I'd want a look round and a test drive.

The deal that was available was too good to turn down. I'm still expecting at some point to be told sorry sir that was an error, we aren't honouring that.

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
Not all appliances are created equal! Personally, if its somewhere I'd be sitting my ass in for several hours a week I'd like to get the hands on the product. However, I totally get especially where leases, and electric is the case, where there is a premium for the car, likely low availability, and a deal to be had that the clock ticks on such things!

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
Not all appliances are created equal! Personally, if its somewhere I'd be sitting my ass in for several hours a week I'd like to get the hands on the product. However, I totally get especially where leases, and electric is the case, where there is a premium for the car, likely low availability, and a deal to be had that the clock ticks on such things!
Sometimes money just talks and you have to take a punt!