Tr7 V8 Fast Road/sprint/trackday Restoration Project.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Class, its such a piece of kit and with the connection to your dad, very special too.
Glad you are keeping it for now at least, good for blasts up the coast or to do noisy smokey burnouts beside climate protests, you know, simple pleasures...😜

MagicRat

RMS Regular
Drives
JapScrap
Good decision Iain. Take it for a Sunday morning blast, do a hillclimb or two, or a track day. Just drive the beast and let it put a smile on your face. As you said, unfinished business.

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Thanks Folks, back at it already with a new lease of enthusiasm!

EDA874A4-4257-490B-A150-DCC147D8E714.jpeg

Engine cover / heat shields mounts made up..

DC68C9F5-3BA2-4253-8080-56CD8A9FE6E2.jpeg

Drawn up and away for CNC cutting at McMordie Bros - should be ready to fit up early next week.

656CF96F-052D-4185-A26A-D85473DDE726.jpeg

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
Good jab! Look forward to getting scared in it some day 😁

• Haha
Reactions: IL

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
out of interest what will that cover do that the bonnet doesnt?

Reduce the amount of 90 deg hot air from the radiator going straight into the inlet is the plan, i can monitor the inlet temps through the dash when the car is running to see if it has been effective

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Engine Cover Fitted up - Hopefully it adds some Heat Protection to the inlet.. will configure the Dash to monitor this.

Pretty pleased with how it looks now after a lick of tough paint..

TR Cover.jpg

Have some other changes to make this weekend - Billet swirl pot being installed

Swirl 1.JPG

Swirl 2.JPG

High Pressure pump being swapped from the Tank into the pot and a pretty standard Lift pump installed in the Tank

The Tank already has a fuel collector with Trap doors which is not sufficient - having this modified would require waiting on someone to modify it, swirl pot will be fitted myself in a few hours.

Suspension wise it was setup with 7 Degs of Caster, Way to much IMO - Dialling that back to around 4 Degs to sharpen up the front end.

Finalising the Front and Rear Anti-Rollbars and Raising the Rear Spring rate by 25lb

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Christmas was mostly consumed by family stuff but today i Got a Few hours at the TR7.. i had been gathering bits before Christmas expecting to get a good rip at it..

From the previous run out my thoughts where that the front suspenion was much too hard sprung & and the rear too soft, it was giving me good rear end squat and grip but this was washing out at the front end.

So i swapped out the front springs - reducing the rate from 550lb to 500lb and installed a front Anti Roll Bar. The roll bar is from a BMW 120d M-Sport, i had been googling similarly sized cars and eyeing up things in carparks for months..

A7A589F4-6DE2-4221-A0DF-AE8E7487EA2E.jpeg

F196F1BE-F06A-4133-9209-076D03279C7E.jpeg

The bar was a very good width and all I had to do was move the pickup around 40mm and used a rose jointed turnbuckle to connect it to the bottom arm.

D8DC06AE-B818-4576-8C02-C43785E5A1CA.jpeg

On the rear i upped the rate from 225lb to 300lb - im planning go run this end without a roll bar..

As well as the rates, I did a quick setup using an inclinometer - Dialled the caster back from 7deg to 4.5deg and increased the Camber from 1.5deg to 2.5deg.

Took it for a quick spin out round Ballyhackamore - 70mph first gear makes for interesting manoeuvring around junctions etc rear end defiantly feels more lively now and the front end more composed but again very hard to tell on the road and current conditions.

FF67F896-742C-495E-951A-A1B49FA1EE8A.jpeg

Nursed the car home with slight misfire in the dark..

Next job is check the fuel filters and get the Swirl pot installed, then get some slicks bolted on and get a proper test day sorted...

Last edited:

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Good to see you playing with the setup.

I never really thought about just using an anti roll bar from a similar sized car, might give me some options if I don't like my new ST Suspension anti-roll bar setup. I don't like too much anti-roll bar but I was forced to change from stock at the rear due to loosing the attachment points with my extra chassis reenrolments. The only option as to change to this stiffer aftermarket setup.

How do you find the heim joints for steering? I am considering moving to a setup that uses them as I need more adjustability than stock and the aftermarket options are all heim joints.

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Good to see you playing with the setup.

I never really thought about just using an anti roll bar from a similar sized car, might give me some options if I don't like my new ST Suspension anti-roll bar setup. I don't like too much anti-roll bar but I was forced to change from stock at the rear due to loosing the attachment points with my extra chassis reenrolments. The only option as to change to this stiffer aftermarket setup.

How do you find the heim joints for steering? I am considering moving to a setup that uses them as I need more adjustability than stock and the aftermarket options are all heim joints.

It had to be done, It didn't drive how I wanted, the balance wasn't quite right so this is likely just a 1st step towards getting it broken in!

I was once told by a suspension guru that an OEM rollbars will always be hard to beat if you can get something that works, the 120d engine fully dressed isn't a kick in the arse off the weight of the NA Alloy block V8 & The width was bang on.

Usually these are made from the best quality sprung steel which is hard to get your hands on in a single length never mind bend or fabricate without adjusting the qualities of the material.. plus this bar was £20 delivered from ebay.

My front tubular subframe removed the mounting point for the standard TR7 bar, and the combination of compression strut suspension meant the TR7 bar simply didn't work any longer, on the rear I have provision to install a Pug 106 Roll Bar should I want to in the future.

Regarding the Rose Jointed track rod ends, I never used standard items so its hard to compare, the main reason I have installed them is to mount them exactly where is required to fully dial out any Bump steer.

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
70 in 1st!
Wow. That’s super bike fast!

Had to double check that - it actually does 56mph in 1st & 132 in 6th!

It was one of my old race cars ran a 70mph 1st gear.

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
That roll bar is a very inventive bit of engineering, I like it!!

Is there any way to stone proof those inner arches a bit, they look like they are going to be crucified without any arch liners!!

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
That roll bar is a very inventive bit of engineering, I like it!!

Is there any way to stone proof those inner arches a bit, they look like they are going to be crucified without any arch liners!!

The inner arches and full floor are raptor coated so they should be pretty tough but there is an area i plan to make a plastic liner for - from the mid inner arch to where it meets outer the wing!