Once common cars that you don't see anymore

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
That's a brave commute! Had a mate in England who bought a few of them around 2015/16 when they were worth nothing. He got a 2.0 turbo petrol estate with around 35k on it for £90 on ebay and after a bit of fettling, ran it for around 2 years and put another 100k on it with very little bother. He had a wee place in france that he used to run back and forward to from around the East Mids area, he loved it on the french autoroutes, said it was made for them.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Have a mate who lives in Belfast but commutes to Cobh in a diesel estate version 😂

Every day!? That’s absolutely insane lol

That's a brave commute! Had a mate in England who bought a few of them around 2015/16 when they were worth nothing. He got a 2.0 turbo petrol estate with around 35k on it for £90 on ebay and after a bit of fettling, ran it for around 2 years and put another 100k on it with very little bother. He had a wee place in france that he used to run back and forward to from around the East Mids area, he loved it on the french autoroutes, said it was made for them.

Those were the days. Bought a Cherokee with a full years test and tax for £150 and a Frontera with about 6 months of each for £120. Probably no chance of anything like that these days unless you know someone.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Yep, the days of getting bargains are gone unfortunately, was probably artificially low really.

Can't imagine that Cobh is a daily commute, maybe weekly.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
It's over four hours from Belfast, one way. That would be a chore even weekly.

I guess if you drive a lorry or something it might make more sense.

bora-gav

RMS Regular
Drives
VW/SKODA
Cousins wedding today, that's his own red yoke

20220910_140452.jpg
20220910_140548.jpg

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
It's over four hours from Belfast, one way. That would be a chore even weekly.

I guess if you drive a lorry or something it might make more sense.

Meh, I commuted to Erlangen weekly. I got off lightly, one of the other fellas travelled from Toronto. Every week!!!

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Jeepers 🙈 😳

Must really love the job then, lol 😁

I've actually been to Erlangen, some Siemens do many years ago. They put on a full Bavarian spread in a barn somewhere. Lots of meat, oompah oompah, and lederhosen 😅

There may have been some beer consumed too :innocent:

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Meh, I commuted to Erlangen weekly. I got off lightly, one of the other fellas travelled from Toronto. Every week!!!

Commuted to Berlin weekly via Dublin to get a direct flight at 6am every Monday, up at 2:30 and on the road at 3:00, was in 2007 when the A1 was being dualled so loads of roadworks etc too. I was using the V6 155 for this leg and parking it at the airport, and we had an old Pug 406 that we used to abandon in a street near Shonefeld Airport on the other side. Used to get into work at 9:00 after a 7 hour commute, I'm even tired now thinking about it, used to live on coffee and haribo to keep going until around 10pm and drive the Pug back to the flat. Nuts. Only did that for 9 months as it was an emergency job, after that started commuting fortnightly to Indianapolis for 6 months etc. When I tell people about it now, I realise it was nuts but it was reasonable craic, sort of miss it tbh.

AlpineJetta

RMS Regular
Drives
Old VWs
View attachment 374710

Not exactly common but when was the last time you seen one of these? Proper turbo one too that’s now pumping out 500bhp and is his daily driver 😂 so much respect for that man. Really enjoyed having it in
I honestly hated these and how they looked for years but now when/if ever I see one though, I feel silly for that hate and think they are a proper eye catching design I never appreciated until surrounded by todays modern bland looking cars! Plus, 5cyl ftw..

fatboysamo

RMS Regular
Jeepers 🙈 😳

Must really love the job then, lol 😁

I've actually been to Erlangen, some Siemens do many years ago. They put on a full Bavarian spread in a barn somewhere. Lots of meat, oompah oompah, and lederhosen 😅

There may have been some beer consumed too :innocent:
My dad spent years going to Erlangen for Siemens, he said the only time he would get scared in a car was some of the taxi drivers on the Autobahns. When we traveled to meet him I was always on the lookout for Unimogs - I love those things.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
My dad spent years going to Erlangen for Siemens, he said the only time he would get scared in a car was some of the taxi drivers on the Autobahns. When we traveled to meet him I was always on the lookout for Unimogs - I love those things.

Yeah Erlangen is almost entirely Siemens. They just moved in and started buying up all the houses and offices in the village. Quite an unusual place and a bit of a pain in the arse to get to!

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
View attachment 374710

Not exactly common but when was the last time you seen one of these? Proper turbo one too that’s now pumping out 500bhp and is his daily driver 😂 so much respect for that man. Really enjoyed having it in
I actually was just about to post that I seen one in Rathfriland yesterday, no pictures unfortunately.
Looked like a smaller wheeled non turbo one in a goldy colour.

MustangAlly

RMS Regular
Drives
Corvette
Commuted to Berlin weekly via Dublin to get a direct flight at 6am every Monday, up at 2:30 and on the road at 3:00, was in 2007 when the A1 was being dualled so loads of roadworks etc too. I was using the V6 155 for this leg and parking it at the airport, and we had an old Pug 406 that we used to abandon in a street near Shonefeld Airport on the other side. Used to get into work at 9:00 after a 7 hour commute, I'm even tired now thinking about it, used to live on coffee and haribo to keep going until around 10pm and drive the Pug back to the flat. Nuts. Only did that for 9 months as it was an emergency job, after that started commuting fortnightly to Indianapolis for 6 months etc. When I tell people about it now, I realise it was nuts but it was reasonable craic, sort of miss it tbh.

I'm currently in that phase. For 8 years running now I do one week a month in the US. Every quarter Ill not do the one week in the US but replace it with 2 weeks split between Brazil, Mexico, Argentina and Colombia. On top of that I do a week a month in England. I'm pretty much burnt out on it now!

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Yep, sort of leaves you that way although I mostly enjoyed the travelling. I did it for 18 years and then took a gig back in the 1960s, sorry, I meant in an NI company. This place (at least in Engineering) has a long way to go to move itself into the 21st century with regards to working practices and relations.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
My uncle / cousins had a 2600 SD1 after their P5B Coupe finally gave up. It was a sprightly thing, definitely able to keep station with a standard V8 SD1.