Once common cars that you don't see anymore

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
My uncle / cousins had a 2600 SD1 after their P5B Coupe finally gave up. It was a sprightly thing, definitely able to keep station with a standard V8 SD1.
Glorious sound off the six. Forgot I had another photo from the yard as well. A final resting place for the best of British. Rover 75, 25, Maestro, Wolseley Hornet and a Mini 1000. If cars could talk about their history!!
8F955903-2A06-4EBB-A482-728DCCB5117D.jpeg

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
I used to have a mk1 Wolseley Hornet!

What’s the story with that one, or is it long gone now?
The Hornet in the picture was built into another shell as it is stone rotten and beyond any sort of economical (or sensible) repair. Shame really as it was a one family owned car from new and it’s never nice to lose originality.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Don't see too many normal V70s anymore never mind a grey V70R with cinnamon leather. Delightful. Looked immaculate too. VUI plate if anyone knows it 😎
Rare machine indeed these days! Especially reasonably unmolested and unrusted :cool:

They came in a lurid Orange too, almost candy. Not what you expect from a family estate 😁

@NI_Volvo_Nut will know it I'm sure. Can't be too many kicking around here.

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
I drove the ‘liftback’ version of the Persona for a couple of years. Even though it was a mix of Colt/Lancer/Galant, parts were hard to get, the 1980s designed engine got 32mpg (calculated) with easy driving and it fell into a real high tax bracket for a 1.5 as it was emissions based. Cheap, tinny, random misfire I never got to the bottom of but it was better than walking.
Wouldn’t say no to a Persona GTi though 🤌

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Rare machine indeed these days! Especially reasonably unmolested and unrusted :cool:

They came in a lurid Orange too, almost candy. Not what you expect from a family estate 😁

@NI_Volvo_Nut will know it I'm sure. Can't be too many kicking around here.
Are that shape known for rust!?

When we were doing a bit of work on my dad's one we were amazed how much better it was holding up versus our E46 M3 of the same age and similar miles.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
They're getting on for twenty years old now, with our winters and road salt that can take its toll still. As with any car that's been around for a while. Just good to see a nice clean one (y)

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Saw a grey MG ZT saloon I think it was this morning on the westlink - bit dented up, had the vents in the front arches but the grill at the front didnt look right :confounded:

Looking on google I dont think it was now, no idea, had no badges on the boot lid

Edit:

Was a ZS, had these grills

1663749921950.png

vtec1

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus st
Saw a grey MG ZT saloon I think it was this morning on the westlink - bit dented up, had the vents in the front arches but the grill at the front didnt look right :confounded:

Looking on google I dont think it was now, no idea, had no badges on the boot lid

Edit:

Was a ZS, had these grills

View attachment 375596
I believe this is it. Sits on stockman's lane
Screenshot_2022-09-21-20-01-08-85.jpg