2003 Mini Cooper R50

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Yea but the thing is I’m ready to do it anytime lol. The only thing stopping me is cash flow. That’s one of the reasons I’m taking the car off the road. To try and free up a bit of cash over the next 6 - 8months.

I reckon between not having it on the road and a few other cut backs I could save about £100 a month. However I have to get Xmas sorted first.

Last edited:

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Today in a last ditch attempt with much thanks to @Rover Repair for doing the job, he swapped out the 75w-90 I mistakenly put in for the correct MTF-94.

So far it hasn’t removed the noise, but I am a little more confident with it as I know it’s the right stuff in it now.

First time it’s been driven in a week! Lol

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Yea but the thing is I’m ready to do it anytime lol. The only thing stopping me is cash flow. That’s one of the reasons I’m taking the car off the road. To try and free up a bit of cash over the next 6 - 8months.

I reckon between not having it on the road and a few other cut backs I could save about £100 a month. However I have to get Xmas sorted first.

Give the kids a gearbox for Christmas. Everyone’s a winner.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
first day back in school
153E0433-29A5-4A76-9A56-8846160CB668.jpeg

KIbby96

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon Cupra
In essence and in short, yes.

So the thread will pretty much go cold in the coming months until the funds are gathered.
Are there any other jobs you could do on the car that would be lower cost? Smaller interior changes, fixing stone chips? Full clean of the underbody?

If you are like myself, working on my car makes me feel in control of something in my life and at times it can feel like i aint got control of everything else so helps me.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Are there any other jobs you could do on the car that would be lower cost? Smaller interior changes, fixing stone chips? Full clean of the underbody?

If you are like myself, working on my car makes me feel in control of something in my life and at times it can feel like i aint got control of everything else so helps me.
Absolutely I’m like that too, but I am genuinely trying to gather as much money together as quickly as I can.

So anything minor is getting put off until the gearbox is done. The gearbox is the priority.

I do have another car to work at here for a friend just with fighting Covid as I type this, I obviously am not fit for working on it just yet lol

KIbby96

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon Cupra
Absolutely I’m like that too, but I am genuinely trying to gather as much money together as quickly as I can.

So anything minor is getting put off until the gearbox is done. The gearbox is the priority.

I do have another car to work at here for a friend just with fighting Covid as I type this, I obviously am not fit for working on it just yet lol
In the short term then what you could do is a basic stock check on the car, go round and start compiling a full list of things you need/want to do.

You could start pricing pieces now. This will keep your mind active with little physical work required.

Im not even joking but next year Christmas present shopping is being started in January, empty boxes will be bought for each person and through the year when i find things they would like or point out to me ill buy it (assuming funds allow) and put it in their assigned box. Then when birthdays or christmas come around i just get to pick stuff from the box. This method wont work for all gifts but i am confident it will help with the smaller to medium sized purchares that always add up.

I know that doesnt help you in the immediate but might be good to do next year.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
It’s something I’ve been thinking of doing but yea I’ve a feeling I’ll be doing that next year, especially with the cost of living being the way it is!!

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
and yes good thinking @KIbby96 with regards to the stock list.

I know I want to do the timing chain, tensioner and rear crank seal whilst I’ve the engine out.

KIbby96

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon Cupra
and yes good thinking @KIbby96 with regards to the stock list.

I know I want to do the timing chain, tensioner and rear crank seal whilst I’ve the engine out.
Thats your list started already then!!!

Remember mate not every single day will feel like a win, but try to recognise the small little wins throughout the day!

Yeah the car might be off the road, but its to buy gifts for your kids and wife!

Yeah the gearbox went to keek, but thank god you caught it early.

Yeah its a mini cooper but at least its not a rover :p

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
A six-speed won't be a bad thing on its own, regardless of anything else. If you are happy doing it yourself. I wouldn't even know where to start 😅
Oh I’ve no problem tackling it. Tools and equipment might slow me down though lol. Either a pallet truck or an engine hoist is needed lol

Oh and from what I’ve read from other people who have done the conversion, it has made it a better driving car and has helped improve fuel economy! So can’t be a bad thing indeed, as well as the fact the 6sp are built by getrag and are far more hardy than the chocolate Midlands.

Last edited:

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
I am sure I can help with the following -

Crank Seal
Clutch kit
Timing Chain Kit

All could be picked up in Mallusk.
He's probably saving the pennies up to buy them. Plus I don't know if is fancy lying on the ground doing it this time if year too 🤣

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
He's probably saving the pennies up to buy them. Plus I don't know if is fancy lying on the ground doing it this time if year too 🤣
This is exactly it, I’m saving up for them at present, but thank you all the same @Tufty I’ll give you a shout once I’ve raised the funds.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Good to see you got a box mate hope you get her on road soon
I estimate another 8 to 10 weeks before I’ve the funds raised to get the remaining parts as I’ve decided I want to get a new flywheel as well for piece of minds sake.

Rigger

RMS Regular
Drives
XJR 575, A4
I estimate another 8 to 10 weeks before I’ve the funds raised to get the remaining parts as I’ve decided I want to get a new flywheel as well for piece of minds sake.
You not got any indication of current flywheel condition, or have you seen some chipped teeth already?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.