2003 Mini Cooper R50

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
You not got any indication of current flywheel condition, or have you seen some chipped teeth already?
I’ve been told it’s a good one, but I’m just nervous about dual mass flywheels, they can look good and do a while or they can just go as quick as that lol. If I’m brutally honest I’m a little unsure what to do

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
You probably are 😎 But you know that 😇 Then again, with it all out anyway it would be the right time if they're not expensive.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Excuse my ignorance, but is a conversion like this purely mechanical, or does the ECU need to be programmed to be made aware of a change too?

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Id recommend Arnica, Bio oil and buy aloe vera gel/plant. They will ease any discomfort and reduce scarring etc.

Hope all goes well mate 🤞
Oh we’re well versed with Arnica! It’s a vital part of our first aid kit at home what with four clumsy kids! 😂 but thanks as I never realised it would be needed for this.

And thanks, 15 days in stints of 5 days at a time and then hopefully out hospital runs will be significantly reduced!

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
Drives
Rover's!
Keep head up chum. If I'd a ramp me and you could tackle it in an evening, sadly gearboxes on a drive way are something that I stopped doing 10 years ago now. However if you go for the brakes we can tackle that together.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Keep head up chum. If I'd a ramp me and you could tackle it in an evening, sadly gearboxes on a drive way are something that I stopped doing 10 years ago now. However if you go for the brakes we can tackle that together.
Thank you mate. The brakes are realistically spring time with the way the finances are. Like everyone else we’re noticing big changes, our electricity cost has doubled since the start of October as just one example

Bryan

RMS Regular
It's not too bad when you know the procedure.

Bumper off, battery, airbox and tray out, shaft outs, subframe down and out and gearbox off and away. I have yet to do one that hasn't needed new outer ball joints at the same time.

I'm about to start into an Indi blue one that needs a clutch on my driveway too.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
It's not too bad when you know the procedure.

Bumper off, battery, airbox and tray out, shaft outs, subframe down and out and gearbox off and away. I have yet to do one that hasn't needed new outer ball joints at the same time.

I'm about to start into an Indi blue one that needs a clutch on my driveway too.
Good shout on the ball joints! Must get a pair of those as well.
Hearts of lions, gents. Did a FWD clutch once when I was in my 20’s and never again.
I did a clutch on a wee fiesta I owned 6yrs ago, that was fun. I forgot how heavy a gearbox was whilst lying under it alone! 😂

Bryan

RMS Regular
I did a mk6 Fiesta a few years ago. Couldn't believe how easy it was compared to the Mini. Fiesta was back on the road in 2 hours lol

If you look at the subframe on the Mini you'll see a circular ring in the middle of it. If you put the trolley jack on this it will be perfectly balanced and be very easy to drop and lift back into place.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
I did a mk6 Fiesta a few years ago. Couldn't believe how easy it was compared to the Mini. Fiesta was back on the road in 2 hours lol

If you look at the subframe on the Mini you'll see a circular ring in the middle of it. If you put the trolley jack on this it will be perfectly balanced and be very easy to drop and lift back into place.
Ah ok! Again, good to know! Is the steering knuckle as hard as the facebookers make it look to remove?

salster

RMS Regular
Drives
mini
that guy does all his clutches on the ground, he's nuts and going to be riddled with arthritis in a few years.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.