Tesla Cybertruck

Chris tii

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 2002tii
Is it really doing anything new though? Apart from the bullet proof stuff and the looks, ford have an electric f150 that you can power tools or your home in a powercut from. Seems like it's about 2 years late to market.

Yeah you can run your home from this as well. It’s also the first car that is 48v which means they can run the steer by wire. Watch the Hagerty review on YouTube. It’s the best review so far and talks about all the new tech it has. Things like a new style battery pack, so the battery weighs half that of the EV Hummers.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
It only looks the way it looks because they decided to go the egg shell route. The hard steel they need for that simply can't be shaped. They can just about create the straight creases but that's it. And even that is only just about. Personally I just think it looks stupid, lol. He probably had one of the kids pen it.

In a crash it will likely just crack and shatter. Will be interesting to see it in an actual crash test. Which we won't, because they don't have to in the US.

As for the steering - drive by wire, four wheel steer, and progressive power assist have all been around for ages. Not a lot of cars have steer by wire because most people want to know which way the wheels are actually pointed. But I guess it makes manufacture cheaper and that's why it's really there. Just like the screens.

I suppose we will see if any of this catches on.

Or if any cars actually get delivered eventually.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Pretty sure I saw crash test footage recently. Didn't look to be a proper one mind you.

I quite like it. It's different and a bit weird and would be class to see on the road!

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
That's a lot of bits breaking off and pushed out instead of deforming. You'd spear an oncoming car with those a-pillars. Look at the doors nearly coming off in the side impact. As mentioned won't matter in America.

The whole thing just looks like being different for the sake of being different. I guess they're open about that being the aim so fair enough. I just can't see the attraction myself. Just looks silly and really impractical.

Agree with the arriving a few years too late comment too. There isn't really all that much revolutionary about it apart from looking like something designed by a six year old.

Chris tii

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 2002tii
I just watched a tik tok that made a good point about how dangerous they are.

It’s inevitable that a lot of people will lose control of something that’s this fast. These things are faster than a Porsche 911 and weight 3 tons. Imagine being in a normal sized car and you get hit by a 3 ton tank going 911 speeds. You wouldn’t stand a chance.

I still think they’re cool though. 😂

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
I just watched a tik tok that made a good point about how dangerous they are.

It’s inevitable that a lot of people will lose control of something that’s this fast. These things are faster than a Porsche 911 and weight 3 tons. Imagine being in a normal sized car and you get hit by a 3 ton tank going 911 speeds. You wouldn’t stand a chance.

I still think they’re cool though. 😂

Hummer EV isn't quite as quick, but still 3 seconds to 60, 1000hp and 4.5 tons!

Chris tii

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 2002tii
Hummer EV isn't quite as quick, but still 3 seconds to 60, 1000hp and 4.5 tons!

So a wrecking ball that does 0-60 in 3 seconds! Imagine what it would do if it crashed into my wee Yaris! 🙁

At least they all have collision prevention radar gizmos these days. I hope they work well!

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
There will be no one left to take videos of mustangs crashing outside shows. They’re all going to be creamed by hummer Evs and cybertrucks 🤣

How long before someone shoots their cyber truck and manages to shoot either themselves or a mate in the process 🤣

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Mondays-suck---carfeeld-1701781773620.jpg

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
How long before someone shoots their cyber truck and manages to shoot either themselves or a mate in the process 🤣
Lol, I'm surprised there isn't a TikTok already 😅

Or how long until someone cuts their fingers off or cracks their skulls open on the edges of those steel panels 😅 They are too hard to be rolled, so all you get is 1.4mm wide straight cut edges everywhere.

In fairness they apparently put a strip of rubber on the "frunk" edge for that very reason, as it's right at head height. But that's it. Everywhere else it's just straight cut edges.

Turns out this is another reason we are not getting this thing in Europe. Edges must be rolled to stop people and other cars getting sliced and guillotined.

I'm all for being different, and applaud them for going for it. But the more I read about it the more ridiculous it seems.

But I'm sure all the "influencers" with their free PR cars will keep on raving 😅

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
In fairness that's probably a much abused press car, and likely pre-prod as well. But still - welcome to your $100k new car 😅 🫣

I see full production isn't set until 2025. Only some early cars getting delivered through next year as they scale it up. Suppose limited supply might help resale values for a while, no doubt there will be people falling over themselves just to be seen in the thing. Let the pyramid games start 😇

Don't think Elon gives a single one either way. It's just a vanity project for him, like X/Twitter.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
In fairness that's probably a much abused press car, and likely pre-prod as well. But still - welcome to your $100k new car 😅 🫣

I see full production isn't set until 2025. Only some early cars getting delivered through next year as they scale it up. Suppose limited supply might help resale values for a while, no doubt there will be people falling over themselves just to be seen in the thing. Let the pyramid games start 😇

Don't think Elon gives a single one either way. It's just a vanity project for him, like X/Twitter.
Some 'influencer' types got theirs delivered end of Nov, according to a podcast I was listening to yesterday.

Probably rushed them out just so the knobbers can be seen posting pics in them. Free marketing move by Tesla.