Tesla Cybertruck

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
You got rid of yours? What put you off?

The depreciation is RIDICULOUS. The usage of the public network is now more expensive that just fuelling a car so if you use the car a lot it doesn’t make sense. Wasn’t an issue if going somewhere that you could use the supercharger network but using any others makes it just completely impractical. Wee bro got rid of his too. The car itself was brilliant. If only it had an engine lol

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Big change of heart there Pete! You were singing its praises for years before the arse fell out of the EV market.

Depreciation has yet to hit lease prices and charging at home is equivalent to 130 odd mpg in diesel terms. Yes it’s expensive to top up on the road so that’s a cost to consider if you’re regularly travelling hundreds of miles a day.

Horses for courses, etc. Works well for us and has saved us because of tax efficiencies. Would I buy one? No chance. Not new or used.

At least you tried it and can make an informed decision though.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Seems the uptake of electric cars is outstripping the growth of the already limited infrastructure network.

I do see Ards is getting 20 new chargers beside the new Starbucks.

No doubt influencers will be all over these Cybertrucks.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Big change of heart there Pete! You were singing its praises for years before the arse fell out of the EV market.

Depreciation has yet to hit lease prices and charging at home is equivalent to 130 odd mpg in diesel terms. Yes it’s expensive to top up on the road so that’s a cost to consider if you’re regularly travelling hundreds of miles a day.

Horses for courses, etc. Works well for us and has saved us because of tax efficiencies. Would I buy one? No chance. Not new or used.

At least you tried it and can make an informed decision though.

It was more the switch to paid public charging was the first thing that suddenly made it no longer make sense.

I do a lot of miles, so it was great when you could just pop it on a 22kw while you were in the shop or out for dinner etc. keep the car topped up a bit then crack on with the journey. Then charge it at work the next day and all was well.

The running costs offset the hassle a good bit. As soon as it switched to paid charging, it was a fortune to do that, so paying out the ass to be inconvenienced just took the shine off it. Then Tesla starting messing about with the prices and all of a sudden I’m burdened with a car that’s no longer offsetting it’s inconvenience and any potential savings in the real world are totally wiped out.

The total cost of ownership over 2 years is absolutely mental.

If anything it’s not just put me off EV’s but also ever having another brand new car.

Usually I change my daily every year or two, if I buy them right I can usually sell them on and get most of my money or often all of my £ back out again and the only real costs have been running them.

I’ve ended up buying my Dads L322 Rangie off him as a stop gap now to figure out what I’m going to buy next and to be honest I’m so content in it, I might not buy anything else 😂 I think I’m just happier driving old luxo barges lol I didn’t realise how much I missed the practicality of being able to throw wheels etc in the boot and tow things, plus sitting up high etc.

Wee bro picked up a dirt cheap e53 X5 to run about in. He has a new A6 Avant lease on order that is a wonder deal and I think he is also seeing the light and considering cancelling it 😂 I’m a bad influence.

I’ll say it again though. I loved the car itself. It was so good to drive with the one pedal driving, the autopilot for long drives and the power never got boring. I would still recommend one if you can charge at home and don’t often do big journeys or lots of little ones throughout the day and can avoid having to charge outside of an off peak tariff at home and most importantly have it on a good lease where you know exactly what it’s costing you up front.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
In fairness the depreciation side is just a new car thing. Apart from the last couple of years new cars have always depreciated massively. And the last couple of years were an anomaly that was always going to correct itself. Which it now is starting to do.

Convenience - for someone doing short-ish commuting stuff and who can charge at home or work, absolutely, there is no inconvenience at all. And that's a lot of people. If you can't charge at home or work - that's even more people - forget it. If you regularly do big miles, forget it. Between adding 45 minutes at a dreary service station, or wasting time chasing down a charger at night, that's not progress. It's definitely not cheap either.

As for capital costs, whenever I look at our company car scheme it never makes sense. Even with the massive tax breaks. For someone who was planning to drop several hundred a month anyway on a grey (literally, lol) crossover commuter box thing, sure. For a rental, with literally nothing to show for it at the end of it all. Value for money?

Personally I've gone for something a lot more interesting and fun, with more than enough in between to pay for fuel and tinkering and having fun.

Each to their own.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
Seems the uptake of electric cars is outstripping the growth of the already limited infrastructure network.

I do see Ards is getting 20 new chargers beside the new Starbucks.

No doubt influencers will be all over these Cybertrucks.
Big charging station planned for Bangor too, by Broomfields.

Wonder if it will be like some of the English ones. Built them and grid can't supply them enough juice so they are lying dormant.

Reactions: DC.

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
Sold out.
1701436876069.png

VinR

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330d
Big charging station planned for Bangor too, by Broomfields.

Wonder if it will be like some of the English ones. Built them and grid can't supply them enough juice so they are lying dormant.

Every time I pass the coleraine mountain road, I think it would be a great spot for a charging station. It would look the part there for media promo.
Nothing about it though, you would need a food / coffee / icecream van.

Edit: this windfarm is on the edge of the road there.

Screenshot_20231201_134840_Maps.jpg

RCT

RMS Regular
Every time I pass the coleraine mountain road, I think it would be a great spot for a charging station. It would look the part there for media promo.
Nothing about it though, you would need a food / coffee / icecream van.

Edit: this windfarm is on the edge of the road there.

View attachment 418461
The people that rent a building off my dad are having serious issues with what I think is Ni water holding it all up. The plan is an off grid ev charge setup that runs super fast chargers. Must look the signs again to see what the figures were but over 200kw chargers I think?

Apparently he has similar over in the Philippines charging ev buses or something. It’ll just be off the road at Jet centre Coleriane so on the road through to Derry for most from North Coast so should be a great location for it, if it ever gets running! Been at it for a few years now.

Apparently it runs off food waste and plans something similar to what you’ve mentioned above to keep people occupied whilst charging.

As much as I hate ev’s they’re coming more and more, whether we like them or not. I lasted 8 months in an ev car and always had a petrol/hybrid one on standby! I only got 90 miles to a charge in a Peugeot e208

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
I saw that spot beside the Toyota dealer with the ev charging coming soon signs. I haven’t been past there since spring to see if it was up and running.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
Think it was the CarWow review I watched this morning, they said they don't think it will pass EU pedestrian safety legislation.

Reactions: DC.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Tesla do like to innovate and that's great. It just does seem like solving problems that were never a problem to start with. Like that steering. Or indeed the shell. Different for sure. But actually better? I guess we will see if it catches on.

The whole "bullet proof" thing... What they've actually done is decide to do away with all internal structure to the shell. So it has to be ultra hard just to stay together. Including the glass. Won't be much fun being hit by one of those. Or being inside when that hard steel cracks instead of deforming nicely. Like sitting inside an egg shell. Once it goes, it goes.

But I can't imagine any of that was high on his list. It won't be sold in Europe, and in America trucks don't need any crash protection or anything else like that.

Are there actually any confirmed deliveries? Or just another "in two years" or whatever?

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
Is it really doing anything new though? Apart from the bullet proof stuff and the looks, ford have an electric f150 that you can power tools or your home in a powercut from. Seems like it's about 2 years late to market.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
I can only imagine that this will be nearly unrepairable when it's involved in a collision (with anything). Also as everything seems to be structural to some degree (inc the glass in some parts) meaning it will be nearly un-insurable too.