R35 GT-R dream or nightmare?

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
That's quite the saga but looks a really nice one, they're a hell of a thing to drive and still on my list to get one of my own some time as I've driven a family one many times - it feels like contemporary models only caught up to their performance a couple of years ago, when they were initially released they were in a different league to the M cars, AMG cars and other stuff out there. Still very sharp, especially with Litchfield mods. Enjoy!

mcmurray

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
I had a lend of a Litchfield tuned one for a couple of days a few years ago. Remember it fondly. Unlikely to ever own anything myself that covers ground as quick as that car.

Still have so much presence the odd time you see one on the road.

HTD.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
First "mod", spotted a sidelight out today. Dead easy to fix so stuck LED in. If they give errors they're handy swapped out.
20231228_154612.jpg

Went to Carryduff , didn't get to play much. On the way back I messaged a mate in Carradore to show him. Whole way there was slow/busy and a few learners.
Got a wee blip on the back roads but spotted a few walkers out so took it easy. I did forget I had it in manual and the back end stepped out when I hit boost so I was having a laugh.

Got the Ecutek dongle working on the screen. Not sure I'll keep it though as Torque app shows the same gauges and I can sell the Ecutek thing as it wasn't cheap. I'll play about with the colours etc some day
20231228_113211.jpg
20231228_113158.jpg

Found out the screen wash not working 😕 hopefully a simple fix (something not plugged in while engine was out)

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
I had a lend of a Litchfield tuned one for a couple of days a few years ago. Remember it fondly. Unlikely to ever own anything myself that covers ground as quick as that car.

Still have so much presence the odd time you see one on the road.

HTD.
For all the time I've been out, I've noticed a few admirers. Didn't think I would as its not as obvious as the subaru.

richie_mck

RMS Regular
Nightmare, that sounds like a dream, having all the issues sorted before you got it and it sitting ready for the spring. I’d have said it would have been an even bigger nightmare to sort issues/warranty once it’s this side of the water.

Anyway, the car is class, health and petrol money to enjoy

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
Nightmare, that sounds like a dream, having all the issues sorted before you got it and it sitting ready for the spring. I’d have said it would have been an even bigger nightmare to sort issues/warranty once it’s this side of the water.

Anyway, the car is class, health and petrol money to enjoy
That was it, I couldn't do too much complaining as they could've just sent it over knowing I wasn't exactly going to run back.
They aren't totally off the hook yet though, I've a few things to hit them with after the holidays.
I asked for the oem screen and parts etc. Even though its faulty I still wanted it. And they didn't stamp the service book like I asked, mainly so they'd no excuses with warranty as I told them if they're servicing it. These cars are all about the service history so you'd think they'd have kept track.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
Yesterday I discovered the screen wash wasn't working. Not even a sound. Did a bit of YouTube searching and found one specifically for it.
There's 2 pumps behind the front arch liner, one for the screen, one for the headlights both off the same fuse. Neither were making noise so hoped it was the fuse. Nope, time to take bits off the car already FFS.
Nice and sunny this morning, let's do this.
Wheel off, arch liner off. Unplugged the screen pump and got 12v. Unplugged the headlight pump, nothing. Hmmm, what's going on ?
A bit of searching on the forums I found someone made the same mistake, the headlights need to be on for their washer to work. 🤭
Boom, it's working, means the screen pump is faulty.
Nip down to Colin Adams with the pump in hand, they give me a replacement, starts absolutely lashing with rain.
Had to just lay in the rain and get it done. All working.
Put everything back together minus one black star head screw. It's now dark, can't see it anywhere. Give up and thought as long as it's not in line with the tyres let's get the car into the garage. Tidy everthing up first then one final look before driving in, 10mins in the rain like a plonker, there it is, at the garage door in line with the tyre point side up. Lucky escape.
20231229_104152.jpg
20231229_103146.jpg
20231229_132409.jpg

Was good to see everything behind there looks tidy, and clear undersealed as it was meant to be, albeit a bit dirty from driving the back roads yesterday.
I picked up new numberplates, but they'll wait till its dry. While at motor factors i also spied a packet of the same plastic pop fixings used on the trims so lifted them for future.

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
Nice, hope you enjoy it.

The fastest car I've ever driven was an R35 JM1200, daft really, pretty much an unusable liability as a road car!

The backseat design is strange, the seat base is very long meaning you have no leg room otherwise it'd be ok.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
Nice, hope you enjoy it.

The fastest car I've ever driven was an R35 JM1200, daft really, pretty much an unusable liability as a road car!

The backseat design is strange, the seat base is very long meaning you have no leg room otherwise it'd be ok.
I really don't understand the back seats. It's a struggle to get in without winding the seat right forward (I hate nothing more than someone moving the drivers seat, can never get it right again)
Then if you're anything more than 5'11 you have to duck under the headliner so your head is touching the rear window.
I thought at a push you'd make do but in reality I don't think it's manageable. It's rare that I'd have any passengers anyway, but the subaru was handy if I ever did.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Nice, hope you enjoy it.

Wasn’t red was it? I raced one at Bishopscourt a while back

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
Thats some upgrade, health to enjoy. Ref your dongle, bluetooth will not transmit quickly enough for accuracy whereas cable will 👍
Oh yeah that's true. Its a pain having to plug it in every time but I think I'll use it for data logging etc but use Torque Pro for looks.
The Ecutek demo has a load more features than what mine actually does.

JonnyG-Tturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
R35 Evo9
Glad to see you took the plunge! I had an CBA and EBA now 4.5years, absolutely love them!
It is surprising how big a lump they are. The R35 is much bigger than my evo, I'm sure you notice the same against the Impreza.
GTR heritage & Rob have a very good reputation amongst R35 owners and that shows that they sorted everything. I would look at getting the timing chain replaced if not already.

Last edited:

renman8957

RMS Regular
Drives
Megane RS250
Also a dream car for me, but I have no saving ability haha annoying it took 2 months and wasn't the smoothest process with its issues. Rather it had the issues before you took delivery I guess than be alot of back and forward. Enjoy it! That's what it's all about

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
Ditched the GB plate. Fitted it back where the old one came off but I'm now thinking I should've moved it up a touch. On looking at others they seem to be a bigger plate aswell.
20240102_170058.jpg

Played about the the ECUTEK app and can't get it to do what the demo led me to believe, so tried the Torque Pro that I've had for years which does more, looks better and is easier to customise
20240101_172754.jpg

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
Went out for a wee scoot today. Think I've everything dialed in bar one issue I'm having with sticking steering wheel buttons.
The Litchfield map has a few settings, all of which are controlled using the cruise control buttons.
The cancel button being the main one, and it getting stuck had me confused but with a bit of use it's loosened up a bit and I now know what I'm doing.

Press the cancel button- cruise plus and minus button let's me switch fuel type (95 97 99). I've it set at 99 but may go back to 97ron just to be safe.

Press the cruise control plus and minus switches boost settings (1bar -1.3bar)
Not totally sure what happens here as my boost gauge reads in kpa or something, all I know is today I found out the car is even madder than I first thought! Set it at high boost and
gave it a try and it lost traction between 2nd to 3rd and went a tad sideways lol. Just crazy acceleration.

Next up is "rolling launch" for da street racing bro. Well I think it was, can't tell with the button sticking. I think you hold the button down and floor it, and for me it seemed to hold the RPM at 3k, but thats also how you know what fuel map youre on (1k-95ron, 2k-97ron, 3k-99ron) Seeing how I'll never use it, I'll not pursue it much further.

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
I know you're not stupid, just careful using a 99map on 97 mate!
Last thing youd want is engine damage!

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
I know you're not stupid, just careful using a 99map on 97 mate!
Last thing youd want is engine damage!
Oh no I know what u mean, I'm using 99ron from the Solo garage but there's been a few stories if it messing stuff up so I think I'll switch the map to 97 and going back to Texaco in Comber. I'll just go back to how it was, N.I. not having 99ron.

I'm pretty sure it says it does no harm with the map set for ANY fuel Ron if you're using 99, but not the other way round obviously 😉

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
Plucked up the courage to try and fix the sticky steering wheel button.
All worked out OK. Seemed to be some kind of lubricant had dried out causing drag. I initially tried a wee bit of white grease but it didn't feel 100% so cleaned it off and left it dry which felt much better. Seeing I had to disconnect the battery I also fitted the quick connect lead for my C-tec charger.

I quite fancy a new steering wheel, or a re-trim but I'm holding off for a while, so tried some "7d" carbon wrap to see what its like. In fainess to it, it looks really good (better that the pics suggest) but the sacrifice is its harder to work with.
20240120_145817.jpg
20240120_150547.jpg
20240120_151328.jpg
20240120_152558.jpg
20240120_152752.jpg
20240120_152800.jpg
20240120_165352.jpg
20240120_165925.jpg
20240120_170729.jpg