MX5.jpg

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
OP
Lappintyre
Drives
Model Y / M3
The TT appeals for boost & handling

Clio takes me back to my youth but would be afraid of it breaking/overheating etc & likely only use it for shows

MX5 - just looks great & imagine it would be fun, but strict 2 seats could be a problem..
What's the requirements for a weekend toy. Is it mainly for staging or wafting?

As above there @richie_mck you were in too quickly for me lol. But something to drive, have fun, clean etc

subie_andy33

RMS Regular
Drives
ImprezaSTI
Just my two cents... have no experience of any of the three but the mx5 is almost certainly the most popular weekend car out of those options and i'd assume there's a good reason for it.

Have heard the mk1 TT isn't the most engaging to drive as it was just a standard golf chassis underneath, could be wrong though. Is a 172 / 182 clio out of the question? Everyone seems to love them, don't know much about the older model (would love one of those Williams models though).

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
OP
Lappintyre
Drives
Model Y / M3
Just my two cents... have no experience of any of the three but the mx5 is almost certainly the most popular weekend car out of those options and i'd assume there's a good reason for it.

Have heard the mk1 TT isn't the most engaging to drive as it was just a standard golf chassis underneath, could be wrong though. Is a 172 / 182 clio out of the question? Everyone seems to love them, don't know much about the older model (would love one of those Williams models though).

Wouldn't be against a 172/182 but have had a 182 more recently so it would be down the list a bit.

purplea4T

RMS Regular

TT has a different rack, front arms, anti roll bar profile, big brakes, yeah, it's a bit boring but very competent. BAM engine remaps to about 270 so not a slow car.
Clio 16v like the one posted, love to rust around the rear inner arches, I looked at one a few years back and the outside arches weren't great, insides were nearly non existant and NLA from Renault.

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
The MX5, especially as a 6 speed 2.0 litre, is a bargain. Roof looks a little saggy when down (it's touching the rear deck when down) but that could be a broken/unfastened loop on the frame, other than that it's a lot of car for the money.

Other suggestion, older EP3 perhaps at that money? Not sure what condition they would be in however.

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
OP
Lappintyre
Drives
Model Y / M3
TT has a different rack, front arms, anti roll bar profile, big brakes, yeah, it's a bit boring but very competent. BAM engine remaps to about 270 so not a slow car.
Clio 16v like the one posted, love to rust around the rear inner arches, I looked at one a few years back and the outside arches weren't great, insides were nearly non existant and NLA from Renault.

That one in question has had some work done, ad below, contacted the seller but he isn't giving me any detail of what was done to remove the rust so I'm a bit sceptical about it.

Would you find a turbo's mk2 mx5 for that budget?

Dunno Pete, be nervous of a getting a badly done one..
The MX5, especially as a 6 speed 2.0 litre, is a bargain. Roof looks a little saggy when down (it's touching the rear deck when down) but that could be a broken/unfastened loop on the frame, other than that it's a lot of car for the money.

Other suggestion, older EP3 perhaps at that money? Not sure what condition they would be in however.

Find myself looking at EP3's but at £3k or so they'd likely be high mile rust buckets.

veedubnoodle

RMS Regular
Drives
her crazy
MX5 gets my vote. One of the most fun cars I've driven. Yes they might be "slow" but it's the corners where you can have fun. Easy to handle on the limit so much so it encourages you to drive properly.

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
If there's one with a BBR kit anywhere (BBR are a tuning firm from England; they do NA, turbo and SC kits for most Mazdas), those would be well sorted and solid little cars.

Find myself looking at EP3's but at £3k or so they'd likely be high mile rust buckets.
True enough. Even at that money, you would be starting to see high mile FN2s now too.

purplea4T

RMS Regular
That one in question has had some work done, ad below, contacted the seller but he isn't giving me any detail of what was done to remove the rust so I'm a bit sceptical about it.

Going by the MOT history, it's had bother with the floor pan a good while ago but nothing recently, but I'd be wary with no pictures of the arches and floor.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
TT.

I had a 8L S3 recently and I thoroughly enjoyed it, the TT is basically the same car but in a lady's dress.

In actual fact, my mate who bought my S3 is looking to move it on if it's of any interest. Goodwood Green with silver leather, but it will be more than £3k.

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
OP
Lappintyre
Drives
Model Y / M3
Going by the MOT history, it's had bother with the floor pan a good while ago but nothing recently, but I'd be wary with no pictures of the arches and floor.

Well spotted! If it looks to good to be true & all that.
TT.
TT is basically the same car but in a lady's dress.

Best sales pitch ever! :laughing:

Think I remember that S3, looked great in green, would be too much ££££ though.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
TT is a future classic. And the handling can be sorted with bush inserts and alignment. I very nearly bought one recently but in the end it just didn't work out.

In saying that I've owned probably in the region of 100 cars and have kept none longer than about 2 years apart from my MX5 which I've had nearly 9 now. They are brilliant fun and nothing makes me laugh like it. It's not quick, it's not fast, it doesn't have anything fancy going on and knob heads will call you a hairdresser but they are absolutely brilliant craic. You either get them or you don't so get a good drive at one first.

Mk3's like mk1's and mk2's like to rust so be careful.

KaraokeMidget

RMS Regular
Drives
Mx5
Mx5 all day long. I paid £3k last year for mine and love it so much.

Attachments

• 51543310_2756936744530798_8495810778845151232_o.jpg
    51543310_2756936744530798_8495810778845151232_o.jpg
    387.4 KB · Views: 31

Mont

RMS Regular
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
I know it's already been said but another warning for anyone looking at mk3 MX5s, they rust. Badly!

Myself and a friend both have 2.0 5 speed mk3s which we bought for some track days. Mine has already had welding around the sills and jacking points, and still needs plenty more. My friend has spent the past few weeks in his garage patching his arches and sills. Any protection on the car at the factory stops a few inches from the sills and arches. They also come fitted with the lovely carpeted arch liners that water loves to live in. The boot lid and bonnet are aluminium but also corrode. Subframes and other suspension parts also suffer.

On the other hand :joy: they are good going wee things, and just about kitted out enough to be reasonably comfortable as some come with heated leather seats and air con. I went for the 5 speed as I found the longer gearing suited me better. I've just put a 2.5" system and racing manifold on mine and had it mapped. It's now sitting just under 170bhp and 150lb ft.

IMG_3569.jpeg

IMG_3723.jpeg