£3k Audi TT / Clio 16v / Mazda MX-5

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
OP
Lappintyre
Drives
Model Y / M3
I know it's already been said but another warning for anyone looking at mk3 MX5s, they rust. Badly!

Myself and a friend both have 2.0 5 speed mk3s which we bought for some track days. Mine has already had welding around the sills and jacking points, and still needs plenty more. My friend has spent the past few weeks in his garage patching his arches and sills. Any protection on the car at the factory stops a few inches from the sills and arches. They also come fitted with the lovely carpeted arch liners that water loves to live in. The boot lid and bonnet are aluminium but also corrode. Subframes and other suspension parts also suffer.

On the other hand :joy: they are good going wee things, and just about kitted out enough to be reasonably comfortable as some come with heated leather seats and air con. I went for the 5 speed as I found the longer gearing suited me better. I've just put a 2.5" system and racing manifold on mine and had it mapped. It's now sitting just under 170bhp and 150lb ft.

View attachment 268860

View attachment 268861

That really looks the part!

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
OP
Lappintyre
Drives
Model Y / M3
If it was a mk1 mx5 that would be my pick. But already have one, so 16v clio.

Mostly because of this
View attachment 268832

Think if it was a 100% solid 16v & in blue it would have been a no brainier, but the red one just wasn’t adding up..
I'd buy a TT. They drive well and look well and have tuning capability if you want to take it a wee bit further. Others are a bit meh

But you’re a VW fanboy 😜.

Ideally need to drive the MX5 & TT but I hate wasting anyone’s time just to find out if its for me or not..

Mackers91

RMS Regular
TT is a great buy! bought mine for 2k. mapped it to 285hp stuck some decent tyres on it. Wee car went like F**K. Was pretty roomy to even for me at 6ft3. They look really well in red 👍

Attachments

• 20171022_171111.jpg
    20171022_171111.jpg
    339.3 KB · Views: 33

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Do TT’s suffer from rust much?
Galvanised body so shouldn't really be an issue. Dash pods are the main common problem but can be sorted out ok. Definitely some bang for buck at that dosh.

What about Mk6 Fiesta ST? Not particularly quick in a straight line (150bhp) but they are an absolute hoot to drive. Just chuck it into a corner and you'll know exactly what it's doing and come out the other side without worry. I went from an Integra to one and it gave me confidence straight from the word go. I was so impressed I bought another one a couple of years later. Example and with full heated leather.

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
OP
Lappintyre
Drives
Model Y / M3
Galvanised body so shouldn't really be an issue. Dash pods are the main common problem but can be sorted out ok. Definitely some bang for buck at that dosh.

What about Mk6 Fiesta ST? Not particularly quick in a straight line (150bhp) but they are an absolute hoot to drive. Just chuck it into a corner and you'll know exactly what it's doing and come out the other side without worry. I went from an Integra to one and it gave me confidence straight from the word go. I was so impressed I bought another one a couple of years later. Example and with full heated leather.

Was actually looking at these during the week, couple of decent looking ones on gumtree local, but I’m not sure if they would do it for me.
Saying that, I did love the Focus ST I had, but don’t think £3k would pick up a good one
TT is a great buy! bought mine for 2k. mapped it to 285hp stuck some decent tyres on it. Wee car went like F**K. Was pretty roomy to even for me at 6ft3. They look really well in red 👍

That looks really smart in red with those wheels

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
The MX5 is definitely a bit of craic and they make a lot of sense as a bit of weekend fun, whatever that entails...;)
DSC_0133.JPG

DSC_0492.JPG

Lee A

RMS Regular
Drives
Accord types k24
Had a clio valve in Naples years ago, was a total ballache lol sounded great when it ran but had real bother with engines etc and they are only older now again so you would need to pay strong money for a good one. I'd be looking at a ph1 172 instead like this

Screenshot_20200313_221953_com.facebook.katana.jpg

Complete bargain, think it's a member on here

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
OP
Lappintyre
Drives
Model Y / M3
Had a clio valve in Naples years ago, was a total ballache lol sounded great when it ran but had real bother with engines etc and they are only older now again so you would need to pay strong money for a good one. I'd be looking at a ph1 172 instead like this

View attachment 268891

Complete bargain, think it's a member on here

@Markhall - is that yours?

Shannonsir

RMS Regular
Drives
Camaro SS
I had a Naples 16v and absolutely loved it , noise , handling, awesome seats and so full of character...and they aren't slow, it easily sat with stock ep3s all day long. Really capable and surprising wee things. Had 2 in my time and one of the few cars I've owned that I would love another but as stated, older now and probably mostly rotten, plus prices have hit the roof for good examples.

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
OP
Lappintyre
Drives
Model Y / M3
So the question... is it madness to go get a loan to buy something with all this Corona going on.. 🤔 could be out of work (or worse) in a couple of months for all anyone knows

Shannonsir

RMS Regular
Drives
Camaro SS
Keep er' lit. The show must go on. It's the very mass hysteria and crazy behaviour that are heightening the effects of this "pandemic". Perhaps never a better time to use the term "YOLO" 😆. Though good 16v clios are fetching £5k+ ... You'd need to really want one to pay that.