£4k for a track car/daily driver

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
God I hate these threads when other people post them! :party:

Gonna have some track fun this summer and interested to hear what folk suggest. Must be 10-12 years old at most, apart from the price thats the only restriction. Something interesting preferably too!

Go :cool:

Deemc

RMS Regular
Drives
Hydro Is200
941508-1.jpg

Id have to go with this Gee! Some going for realllly good money at the minute!

pablo

RMS Moderator
Id avoid an M3 actually, you will need to pump a grand at least into brakes to make it remotely trackable.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Easy: A well kept Clio 172. With a 4k budget you could even afford some nice suspension and decent brake pads/discs.

An M3 at that price will be a dog. For track use you want reliable.

A light car is much cheaper to run, and much more fun in corners. And will be fast with less power. And use less fuel. Need I go on :p

Bronk

RMS Regular
i know one of the owners gee of lisburn auto link and i can have a word with him if your interested

Graham2

RMS Regular
OP
Graham2
Drives
RS4
M3 isn't an option for the reasons Pablo and sven have given.

172 would be good but Renaultsports are a bit common at Kirky :p

Accord isnt a bad idea, not something I'd thought of.

Wouldnt be fussed on a 106.

Its a toss up between a 306 Rallye and a JDM DC2 at the minute.

j 328

RMS Regular
Drives
328 sport
i've a 99 vti civic, full mot for only £2250, plenty of money left over for mods

gary87

RMS Regular
Drives
E350
JDM DC2. I miss mine dearly. As an everyday car though they can be pretty annoying sometimes because they aren't blessed with comfort and they're crying out a 6th gear on motorway driving imo.

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
DC2 has an LSD. Does a 306?

I did a couple of trackdays in my DC2 and it was great. Utterly reliable, beautifully balances and kept up with some more fancy stuff. Great gearchange, great great car that I wish I had never sold.

Bear in mind the early JDM ones have no ABS and smaller brakes than the UKDM ones or later 98 spec JDMs. Easy enough to swap over but good to budget for it.

Graham2

RMS Regular
OP
Graham2
Drives
RS4
Thanks for that Andy, didnt know that about the ABS and bigger brakes. No LSD in the 3-0 I don't think.

tmr

RMS Regular
Drives
???
I'm in the same quandary at the moment myself. Siding towards Rallye but '96 Specs are getting very cheap and I suppose would be that bit more reliable.

gary87

RMS Regular
Drives
E350

I did a couple of trackdays in my DC2 and it was great. Utterly reliable, beautifully balances and kept up with some more fancy stuff. Great gearchange, great great car that I wish I had never sold.

Bear in mind the early JDM ones have no ABS and smaller brakes than the UKDM ones or later 98 spec JDMs. Easy enough to swap over but good to budget for it.

ABS is for poofs anyway :p Think of the extra weight too!! :p Was it not an option though even on 96 specs?

Nazor

RMS Regular
Drives
306 Dimma
Nah i dont think it has - u cud get one though!!

ABS?? thats for wusses!

EDIT: lol gary beat me to it

Nazor

RMS Regular
Drives
306 Dimma
Ud get a crackin 306 Rallye and have loads of cash left over for stuff too going by the budget

Bronk

RMS Regular

set of ferodo ds's sort out the breaking problem gee (y)

abs/ air con/ 3rd brake light etc were all options on the 96 spec..and im sure there is more than that

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.